Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana

ags79

Jun 18, 2018
That's the thing I'm so new to it I really have no idea which RDA to get what's a good one for beginner? Ivape through this Prince smok tank at about .15 and 85 Watts. I like some dessert flavors High VG some Nets. Though I'm starting to steer away from Nets I quit smoking about 2 months ago they helped with the transition but I'm kind of over them . I like a good throat hit and prefer using Freebase nicotine compared to salts

Reactions: stols001

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Id like to start making my own RDAs. Ive only used drop in coils. Can anyone give me some tips and pointers on how to start this new hobby? Whats a good setup to start with? Tools needed? Whats a good online shop to get everything from? The mod I have is a wismec 3rd gen 300w is this ok for using RDA?

As far as your mod if its regulated then your RDA should be safe to vape with that although you would need to tweak your wattage to suit. As far as which coils you want to use the amount of variables is huge.

Best advice is to get some pre-made fused claptons/alien ones and start there first - consistent results (if you get quality premade), and they will last a lot longer than your current drop-ins. when using the coils PLEASE start to familiarise yourself with Ohms law and battery safety even if you're using a regulated device. Once you've experienced that then start looking at making your own:

1) Safety aspect with making your own coils
2) If you get it wrong (regardless of the safety) you won't enjoy it, so consider building your own coils to be a side project while you get used to installing on your own deck.

As far as choosing your first RDA I would highly recommend the Drop RDA - much easier as you quite literally "drop" your coils in.

In addition to your first RDA and coils I'd recommend getting a tool kit and some quality cotton

$44.24 Authentic Coil Master DIY Kit V3 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

and any good vape shop would have a stack of quality cotton for you to use. because your first few attempts you will be going through a lot of cotton (too tight, not tight enough and on and on and on).

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Best way I think is to watch an array of Utube videos to educate yourself on RDAs and everything around it. That way you have a good foundation to start with. There is so many things, and in this sport, it revolves around personal preferences.
Again...best way is to take time and educate yourself properly, before you go spending...!
Also...go fool around in vape shops to find out where in the world of RDA you fit in. That will narrow down your search and give you some direction.

Last edited:

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Best way I think is to watch an array of Utube videos to educate yourself on RDAs and everything around it. That way you have a good foundation to start with. There is so many things, and in this sport, it revolves around personal preferences.
Again...best way is to take time and educate yourself properly, before you go spending...!

there's heaps of build videos on there but if you're going to do that - keep your RDA experience as basic as possible so you can enjoy it first. Nothing worse than trying to make your own coils and screwing up on your first attempt while wondering what to vape next. Buying pre-made coils and experiencing on that, even going into a vape shop where you can buy the RDA and coils, then getting them to help you set it up so you can have a great experience will go a long way into your building efforts especially when you have a much better idea of what you will and won't like.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I saw a guy on YouTube saying that he only uses 33 mm are those the best? For coils

there's no "best" or "worst" other than the quality of the wire itself. some of the builds people make are unreal and can give you information overload on top of trying to keep yourself safe with battery and Ohm knowledge. So serious advice, brother - make some time to go into a vape shop that has:

Cotton (for sale)
Pre-made coils (for sale)
The RDA you want (for sale)

tell them you're new to RDA's, ask them to run you through how to set up the coils on your atty and what to look for when wicking and I'm sure they will be only too happy to help. Especially if it's a quality vape store and not some side project for a tobacco shop that sells those cigalike things, which if they have those things that I listed above they will have a real appreciation for vaping and probably have their own setups as well.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Also...go fool around in vape shops to find out where in the world of RDA you fit in. That will narrow down your search and give you some direction.

there are really good reviews of atomisers out there and for a newbie it's especially important to see what the build decks look like. First RDA I bought was the Bonza which was good, but the post configuration was a bit of a learning experience as it stretched the coils out and caused me no small amount of headaches. Mind you I was learning as I went by myself and this was before I started going to the forums regularly. Once I got the Drop it made things so much easier.

Plus this is not something you want a newbie watching and attempting for a first coil build - because you know someone will try it for lulz. :p

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
You can start of the cheap. I got a set of precision screwdrivers, and a set of flush cut piers from Wal-Mart. About $5 for each item. That and a spool of wire, and some organic cotton or rayon, and you're off.

Once you decide building is something you want to pursue, grab a bigger build kit like the CoilMaster V3.

A huge help when starting out is a coil calculator...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stasbar.vapetoolpro

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
You can start of the cheap. I got a set of precision screwdrivers, and a set of flush cut piers from Wal-Mart. About $5 for each item. That and a spool of wire, and some organic cotton or rayon, and you're off.

Once you decide building is something you want to pursue, grab a bigger build kit like the CoilMaster V3.

A huge help when starting out is a coil calculator...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stasbar.vapetoolpro

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Good point, for the money it's pretty much everything you'd need unless you get into Clapton or alien or some of the other builds. And the ohm meter is acceptable which is a huge plus when you're working with any coil setup that's not a drop in.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Good point, for the money it's pretty much everything you'd need unless you get into Clapton or alien or some of the other builds.
I found it easier to get into rebuilding when starting with building my own simple round wire builds. I had some claptons that were pre-built given to me when I started, but couldn't get the ohms where I was satisfied. If I would have bought more pre-made coils it would have cost me a decent amount to experiment and find what I liked. It was so much cheaper and easier to make my own simple single wire, and parallel, builds to learn on.

Choosing a first RDA that works for you is like playing a guessing game. You really don't know what you are going to like until you can try a couple. If you have a friend that can let you try any, that can help a lot. I started with wide open airflow dual coil RDAs at low sub ohm builds because reviewers led me to believe that was the best, and found out that I wasn't happy with them. Later I ended up with restricted airflow dtl single coil RDAs at a higher ohm and love them.

Point is, you won't know what you like until you try. Keep an open mind, and don't feel you should follow what others do if it isn't something you're enjoying.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
how often do you usually have to rewick ?

Depends on how often you vape and how you wick in the first place. I posted a thread where I kept getting burnt spots on one spot in my builds and I had to change every week. Others might have longer or shorter. Like drop ins you get a feel for when the wicking needs to be changed.

From my perspective I’ve noticed that if I go highly sweet juices then I have to change out anyway because the coils get all funky and I have to dry burn them.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There is no "best" wire/build for everyone and even if there were, I'm going to bet that 33 isn't it. LOL. I started with simple round stainless wire, and I'm glad I did, honestly. That was challenging enough. I've made a few forays into the exotic realm, and I'm glad I did and some of them were fun (although NO WAY on EARTH would I be trying to wrap them myself.)

Thing is everything is a tradeoff, so depending on what you use, you'll find some properties emerge or don't regardless, but starting simple allows you to "build up" and also increases safety in some ways (IMHO) as you aren't trying to factor in wire plus exotic build plus mass and resistance.

As far as wicking that is also somewhat subjective and also depends on what material you use. I use rayon (mainly because I find it WAY easier to wick properly) and the fact it lasts a while longer certainly doesn't hurt anything, either. But there are folks who swear by cotton for taste and etc.

Good luck, I got a coilmaster kit and I'm glad I did but it is by no means essential and other than a few specified items that are specific and you can purchase separately if you want, like a coil, jig, well.... You'll be fine. Etc.

Good luck,

Anna

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
The advice about going into a vape shop and chatting with the staff is spot on IMO if your'e not sure about what you want, along with watching some YT reviews to help get a better idea. While your'e doing that you might be able to whittle it down to a short list and take that further in the shop. I'd definitely suggest sticking to a single coil RDA to start off, unless your'e set on a dual coil. That way you're only worrying about one coil, not balancing two. Also look for something that's easy to build on. The YT video will give some idea, but bear in mind quite a few reviews are little more than infomercials where everything is "dead easy" and "tastes great". Some of the reviewers also perhaps forget what it's like to start off and of course, with years under their belt, almost anything is a dead simple build deck. Case in point is the Peerless RDA which is quite often rated as an easy enough deck by some reviewers, bit of a pig in real life though, too much of a juggling act.

Another thing to consider is how often you want to be dripping, if you'd rather it be less than more, you might want to look at RDAs with slightly deeper juice wells. There's several current and really good single coil drippers that are dead easy to build on and produce great flavour such as the Recurve and Nudge 22. The recently released Drop Solo also looks appealing (and has the deep juice well - the Nudge and Recurve can be used as drippers but IMO are more suited to squonking as their juice capacity isn't that great, certainly usable though). The Pulse 22 is another very good single coiler, deep well again. Coil placement can be a bit fickle but it doesn't take too long to work out. All of these RDAs are highly rated for a reason and it's not just hype. No need to complicate things too much by pondering loads and loads of 'also-rans' IMO.

Personally I find drippers work better with fancier coils but certainly do-able with single wire coils. Decent frame stapled aliens or fused claptons can be had for not too much money. Just try to make sure that any fancy coils you buy are around the 0.25 ohm or above (they will be in the lower resistance range due to the numbers of wires involved in their make up). For building I'd just start with something like 26 gauge wire. You can also decide between Kanthal, stainless steel and NiCr 80 wire. I prefer NiCr 80. It has a quicker ramp up time (sitting between Kanthal and stainless) and has a cleaner taste IMO. Wires beyond (e.g. smaller than) 28 can get a bit fiddly if you're not used to it, and esp those in the 30-34 range! Below 26 / 24 and you can start to hit some problems with resistance being too low if your'e not careful and not sure what you're doing. Just keep it simple. 26 gauge 6-8 wrap 3mm diameter coils coming somewhere within the 0.5 - 1.2 ohm range depending on the wire and number of wraps.

You don't need a tool kit but it can work out cheaper in the long run, plus you get the case to keep the stuff in. Coilmaster also do a very good DIY Mini kit that has the lot. A coil jig at least does make life much easier, as do angled tweezers, wire cutters and small precision screwdrivers. An ohm meter is a very good idea too. Good idea to keep a pair of small scissors exclusively for cotton too.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread