New to building RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Tell me how did you feel with your first rda?

I found it less challenging than the Zeus, and more enjoyable overall. Yes I had the instance of over-dripping which was tied with my Zeus for leaking in general and then the spatter from the Zeus sending hot liquid into my gob rather than vapour so overall I ended up hating the Zeus and enjoyed rda's much MUCH more.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
And the Zeus is one of the easiest, most satisfying builds around. You're too new to the game

You're really grasping at straws now. Doesn't matter how new or inexperienced I may seem; my experience is my own and if asked I will provide my opinion for another person.

But drippers always think their vape is the only vape.

Just like certain RTA users think that their vape is the only vape? Because it's how you're sounding right now.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Not gospel. But drippers always think their vape is the only vape. And the Zeus is one of the easiest, most satisfying builds around. You're too new to the game, most people haven't gone with the frustration of something not working. You bought a tank that didn't work for you? I've built at least 50 that didn't work.
Might as well have told him to get the RBA for the Smok, and it would yield the same result. You hold your ground, I'll hold mine. Just don't say it's bad advice. It's bad policy.

Actually I didn't say yours was bad advice, I just took issue at a particular statement you made. Then afterwards I provided a rebuttal to some of your statements, reiterating that my point was, and will always be that it's a "Your Mileage May Vary" type scenario.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I found it less challenging than the Zeus, and more enjoyable overall. Yes I had the instance of over-dripping which was tied with my Zeus for leaking in general and then the spatter from the Zeus sending hot liquid into my gob rather than vapour so overall I ended up hating the Zeus and enjoyed RDA's much MUCH more.
Again. Your ground. Speaking about spitback, it's much easier on an RDA than on a tank. You have a long chimney, something that happens very infrequently. And flooding a top air tank is very infrequent. Again, lack of skill. Bad advice. Build some more and we'll talk again, maybe in 10 years? Cheers!

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Again. Your ground. Speaking about spitback, it's much easier on an RDA than on a tank. You have a long chimney, something that happens very infrequently. And flooding a top air tank is very infrequent. Again, lack of skill. Bad advice. Build some more and we'll talk again, maybe in 10 years? Cheers!

Actually haven't had any spitback from the RDA's that I've used - does that make me the Golden Child of RDA's ?? :p

Bad advice. Build some more and we'll talk again, maybe in 10 years? Cheers!

Keep grasping at straws :p

IMG_2355.JPG

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You're really grasping at straws now. Doesn't matter how new or inexperienced I may seem; my experience is my own and if asked I will provide my opinion for another person.

Just like certain RTA users think that their vape is the only vape? Because it's how you're sounding right now.
I said it and will say it again. Gather some more experience. Having 1 tank fail you in 9 months doesn't compare to rebuilding experience I have. Time is key here. Not what YOU built. That's why this forum exists. So that old timers can give their 2 cents worth on the game.
Rebuilding whatever you rebuild is a matter of experience. You learn. You make better choices. You decide what's best for you. Again. Let's talk in say 50 rebuildables or so? Would be nice.

• Disagree
Reactions: Don29palms

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I said it and will say it again. Gather some more experience. Having 1 tank fail you in 9 months doesn't compare to rebuilding experience I have. Time is key here. Not what YOU built. That's why this forum exists. So that old timers can give their 2 cents worth on the game.
Rebuilding whatever you rebuild is a matter of experience. You learn. You make better choices. You decide what's best for you. Again. Let's talk in say 50 rebuildables or so? Would be nice.

But again I didn't say RTA's were bad, I just said I prefer RDA's

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
these last me about 1 day and a 1/2 but i usually rotate with the smoant cylon
Panasonic/Sanyo NCR20700B 4000mAh 15A 20700 Flat Top Battery - Genuine - Wholesale Discount

also did you get the latest firmware version? i have 0.0.6

Yeah I have the updated firmware. Not vaping at particularly high wattages either, mostly 28-36w and that's with 4 new 20700 (Vapcell & Efest). The battery life isn't poor as such, just nt as good as I would expect it to be. Still really like the device though.

At some stage I may pick up a dual cell squonk but hoping this year or next will see a few more dual cell regulated squonk mods with the DNA chip and the ability to accept non-proprietary silicon (not plastic) bottles that use soft tubing, not metal tubes. Likely I wouldn't try another single cell 20700 in case the battery life is barely different. Been looking at a few but they all have minor niggles that the Pulse 80 has eliminated, except maybe the mega $ Vicious Ant Spade (but again, single cell). Of those I've looked at:

Gbox 200: Nice but I dislike the plastic bottles. Can be modded sure but bottle not so easy to remove for cleaning between juice changes.

Nikola Niagara: Really like the form factor. Not keen on the door hinge but I think it looks more flimsy than actually being a problem. Looks like the bottle can be swapped out too. Not a particularly modern chip I think. However, robably the one I'd choose right now. But might wait.

Rage: Likely the second choice at the moment. Not keen on the board. Double the price of the GBox.

Reactions: stols001

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Really? Why don't you put your 2 cents worth? I've been rebuilding stuff for over 6 years. Correct what I said wrongly or shut up. Putting people down, specially long time vapers is bad policy. And being impolite too.
You obviously don't have the experience you say you do or you wouldn't be saying what you did. You're the one who needs to get some good experience. Just because you've been doing things wrong for 6 years doesn't count as good experience. The atty that anyone perfers is not the problem but to make the statement that an RTA is easier to build than an RDA is just plain idiotic. All attys have advantages and disadvantages. With very few exceptions, RDAs are much easier to build and wick than RTAs, especially single coil attys. There might be some BF only RDAs out there but I haven't seen any yet. Anyone that can install coils in an RDA obviously has the ability to change a 510 pin. The fact of the matter is vaping devices are not rocket science. There is a learning curve no doubt but maybe when you get more experience with multiple kinds of attys then you can speak to experience.

P.S. Just because you've been a member of a website doesn't mean you know what you are doing or are better than anyone else. Your bad advice is not helpful to anyone.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
@escapetovape @Susaz
The topic is Rebuilding an RDA posted a new builder. If you are unable to discuss the topic then please tout your experiences elsewhere, this playpen back and forth is not helpful to anyone who is just starting.

Fair call - point has been made anyway.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I hope we can all stop arguing but I will say this. I started with RTAs, and I found my first dripper LAUGHABLY easy to wick. If you are talking build, I think that totally and completely varies based on the design of WHATEVER type atomizer. I have a fine motor tremor, believe me when I say I notice differences BETWEEN both types of rebuildable.

I'd say RDAs MAY be easier to wick, many of them without leakage problems. There may be OTHER problems, but I'm glad I started with RTAs actually because I HAD to learn to wick period. There IS no way around "good wicking" in an RTA. And RBA may offer other challenges like spitabck (which I have encountered on NEITHER of my two RBAs, the Pharaoh and Ammit. But, I already knew how to coil and wick by then so things were OVERALL easier.

It is super, super super difficult to offer a comparison though, because generally what you START will is going to be more difficult OVERALL (I mean, even if you started wicking an actual, factual bird's nest) you are probably going to say doing so was Really Hard, because it was your first "Take this odd thing and coil it and wick it and do it right."

So, I find the discussion to be a bit pointless and I'd like to move to the far more imperative argument about which is better, rayon or cotton, and my vote is 100% for rayon, LOL.

I started with cotton though. So I found cotton to be fiendishly evil etc.

Really just chill and yes, there are drippers who don't squonk I am one of them albeit occasionally and if I ever decide to squonk I am fairly certain I can Get There, either via swapping out the pin, or by choosing a different RTA most suited to my squonk needs.

But, it is for the most part apples to oranges to EXPERIENCE.

Etc.

Anna

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just 3 days ago I was teaching a friend to build his first atty on one of my Velocity decks. He's not exactly an idiot, but found it very confusing. Still, velocity decks are always said "The easiest deck out".
Putting a coil, dropping wick and expecting it to work out of the blue is not as easy as it seems. In EVERYTHING there's a learning curve. And as an engineer and a teacher I can judge correctly the severity of something. If you disagree, you can disregard. But not all RDAs are created equal, and nowadays most RDAs are created for bottom feeding.
What pisses me off is that nobody offers real help. Nobody stops and thinks "oh, this is easy to build on, this will be more difficult". There's nothing easier as a first build than a two post deck. That don't exist in drippers anymore. Take the Dead Rabbit SQ for instance. Clipping the leads to the right height, dropping the coil, aligning with airholes... I think you're all over estimating the real complexity. But, to each their own.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
The other thing of note is that modern RDAs in a lot of cases seem to be getting designed to take make building super easy. Looking at single coils with just the Nudge 22, Recurve and Drop Solo, seriously I've never built on easier decks. Coupled with the fact that the flavour is phenomenal on those IMO (flavour that no RTA I've had it tried can match or even come close to, at least not for me) and it's a win / win. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
how often do you usually have to rewick ?

When your flavor begins to become muted and/or taking more effort to vape, as well as any leaking.:)

Your colis will last much longer when cleaned at the first signs or either. Some folks vapes a coil to the point of the wick becoming totally fused to it, making burning off to clean (with vape juice still there) very difficult. Sometimes one can build a new coil in less time then cleaning a very neglected one.

Given the prices of prebuilt wire (not packaged coils), it's best to take care of these. A pack of 10 or so premade wires will last a long time, given the build quality is great & wick changed regularly. Stainless Steel (usually SS316L) will normally outlast Kanthal, and have a better taste.:)

While I can't speak for everyone here, can for those I know who vapes, all who has made the leap to SS316L has never reverted to Kanthal on RBA's.:thumbs:

For larger models, such as the SMOK TFV12 Cloud Beast, 24 gauge wire is usually needed, for smaller RBA's, then 26 or 28 gauge is fine. It takes some tinkering around & a bit of luck to find the 'sweet spot' for every one of us. Even then, on a different RBA, may require playing around again, although if the size is near the same, what one is using being good starting point.

Whether one is vaping for flavor or cloud chaser also makes a difference.:D

One thing not to overlook, as others has mentioned, being safety. Use an ohmmeter to make sure things are right to prevent 'Check Atomizer' warnings before wicking & vaping, will save a lot of time. I always check the first built coil before doing the other, that way will know if I can proceed with that build or start over.

You'll get used to this & by purchasing wire in 100' spools, can save a lot of cash when beginning to build your own from scratch. I use TEMCo wire, sold on eBay & free shipping. They have many options, here's one of my favorites. Free & fast shipping also!:)

TEMCo Stainless Steel Wire SS 316L - 26 Gauge 100 FT Non-Resistance AWG ga | eBay

Some of the sellers of premade coils uses TEMCo wire.:thumbs:

Cat

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Just 3 days ago I was teaching a friend to build his first atty on one of my Velocity decks. He's not exactly an idiot, but found it very confusing. Still, velocity decks are always said "The easiest deck out".
Anyone that has any experience building a velocity style deck can teach a ......ed monkey how to correctly build and wick it.
And as an engineer and a teacher I can judge correctly the severity of something.
Apparently not
and nowadays most RDAs are created for bottom feeding.
You are wrong again. Most of the people buying RDAs don't squonk. The squonk market is expanding but most people still don't squonk. Just because an RDA comes with a bf pin doesn't mean it's designed for squonking.
What pisses me off is that nobody offers real help. Nobody stops and thinks "oh, this is easy to build on, this will be more difficult". There's nothing easier as a first build than a two post deck. That don't exist in drippers anymore. Take the Dead Rabbit SQ for instance. Clipping the leads to the right height, dropping the coil, aligning with airholes... I think you're all over estimating the real complexity. But, to each their own.
Most of the people on here try to help new builders as much as possible and try to give educated advice. When experienced builders see someone like you come on and make idiotic comments that have nothing to do with the original question asked it's easy to disregard what you post. Build deck design is changing and the best benefit to that, most of the time, is ease of build. The Dead Rabbit is a bad example. That RDA is garbage BUT is easy to build and wick. I have many different RDAs sitting right here in front of me. There are a few I would recommend for begginers, a few I wouldn't and a couple I would say stay away from no matter what your experience level is. Too many people put too much emphasis on installing the coils and not enough emphasis on the wicking but it all works together. RDAs will be much easier to learn on because they are much more forgiving. They have bigger build decks and, in general, better airflow and the user can have complete control over juice flow. RTAs have smaller build decks and if not wicked correctly will either leak or dry hit. RDTAs are another story.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
As far as wicking that is also somewhat subjective and also depends on what material you use. I use rayon (mainly because I find it WAY easier to wick properly) and the fact it lasts a while longer certainly doesn't hurt anything, either.

Anna, while I've never done so, will have to give rayon a try, based on your opinion.:)

Not a lot to lose & maybe a lot to gain. While I have no trouble with building coils, using various screwdrivers the same sizes as on the coil jig (feels more comfortable), wicking can be a pain on some tanks. While I rarely have leaks, sometimes dry hits are an issue. I'll fluff, comb & whatever & still get dry hits.:(

Yet upon removal, the wick won't be burned, often comes out the color of the e-juice, must be still packing a bit too much in there, or using the wrong type of cotton. Most says Japanese organic is the best & when it works is great. Yet on middle sized & large tanks (especially the SMOK TFV12 Cloud Beast RBA edition), nothing has gone right since the original 5 wrap flat spaced coils were changed.:(

Unfortunately, I didn't save these, allowed a friend to build a 'better' coil at a party, so don't have what was there to compare with. That was when things went downhill with that tank. Am on the verge of unloading to the first friend who wants it for $20, to include the separately purchased RBA with the single coil adapter.:D

Anyway, thanks for the rayon idea.:thumbs:

Cat

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The other thing of note is that modern RDAs in a lot of cases seem to be getting designed to take make building super easy. Looking at single coils with just the Nudge 22, Recurve and Drop Solo, seriously I've never built on easier decks. Coupled with the fact that the flavour is phenomenal on those IMO (flavour that no RTA I've had it tried can match or even come close to, at least not for me) and it's a win / win. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Do you really think the Drop Solo and Nudge 22 are easy for a new builder. Take a look at them again. Long hard look. 4 posts to the Nudge. The Drop Solo and Rabbit SQ you have to clip the leads and align the c
Anyone that has any experience building a velocity style deck can teach a ......ed monkey how to correctly build and wick it.

Apparently not

You are wrong again. Most of the people buying RDAs don't squonk. The squonk market is expanding but most people still don't squonk. Just because an RDA comes with a bf pin doesn't mean it's designed for squonking.

Most of the people on here try to help new builders as much as possible and try to give educated advice. When experienced builders see someone like you come on and make idiotic comments that have nothing to do with the original question asked it's easy to disregard what you post. Build deck design is changing and the best benefit to that, most of the time, is ease of build. The Dead Rabbit is a bad example. That RDA is garbage BUT is easy to build and wick. I have many different RDAs sitting right here in front of me. There are a few I would recommend for begginers, a few I wouldn't and a couple I would say stay away from no matter what your experience level is. Too many people put too much emphasis on installing the coils and not enough emphasis on the wicking but it all works together. RDAs will be much easier to learn on because they are much more forgiving. They have bigger build decks and, in general, better airflow and the user can have complete control over juice flow. RTAs have smaller build decks and if not wicked correctly will either leak or dry hit. RDTAs are another story.
Where is the post where you teach the OP how to build?
Yes, I'm a ......ed monkey. I find it difficult to clip the leads after I put together the deck. Also lowering the coils to the airholes. That's why I avoid them. What if the OP has a handicapped person and can't do fine handiwork?

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread