New to building RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
The advice about going into a vape shop and chatting with the staff is spot on IMO if your'e not sure about what you want, along with watching some YT reviews to help get a better idea. While your'e doing that you might be able to whittle it down to a short list and take that further in the shop. I'd definitely suggest sticking to a single coil RDA to start off, unless your'e set on a dual coil. That way you're only worrying about one coil, not balancing two. Also look for something that's easy to build on. The YT video will give some idea, but bear in mind quite a few reviews are little more than infomercials where everything is "dead easy" and "tastes great". Some of the reviewers also perhaps forget what it's like to start off and of course, with years under their belt, almost anything is a dead simple build deck. Case in point is the Peerless RDA which is quite often rated as an easy enough deck by some reviewers, bit of a pig in real life though, too much of a juggling act.

Another thing to consider is how often you want to be dripping, if you'd rather it be less than more, you might want to look at RDAs with slightly deeper juice wells. There's several current and really good single coil drippers that are dead easy to build on and produce great flavour such as the Recurve and Nudge 22. The recently released Drop Solo also looks appealing (and has the deep juice well - the Nudge and Recurve can be used as drippers but IMO are more suited to squonking as their juice capacity isn't that great, certainly usable though). The Pulse 22 is another very good single coiler, deep well again. Coil placement can be a bit fickle but it doesn't take too long to work out. All of these RDAs are highly rated for a reason and it's not just hype. No need to complicate things too much by pondering loads and loads of 'also-rans' IMO.

Personally I find drippers work better with fancier coils but certainly do-able with single wire coils. Decent frame stapled aliens or fused claptons can be had for not too much money. Just try to make sure that any fancy coils you buy are around the 0.25 ohm or above (they will be in the lower resistance range due to the numbers of wires involved in their make up). For building I'd just start with something like 26 gauge wire. You can also decide between Kanthal, stainless steel and NiCr 80 wire. I prefer NiCr 80. It has a quicker ramp up time (sitting between Kanthal and stainless) and has a cleaner taste IMO. Wires beyond (e.g. smaller than) 28 can get a bit fiddly if you're not used to it, and esp those in the 30-34 range! Below 26 / 24 and you can start to hit some problems with resistance being too low if your'e not careful and not sure what you're doing. Just keep it simple. 26 gauge 6-8 wrap 3mm diameter coils coming somewhere within the 0.5 - 1.2 ohm range depending on the wire and number of wraps.

You don't need a tool kit but it can work out cheaper in the long run, plus you get the case to keep the stuff in. Coilmaster also do a very good DIY Mini kit that has the lot. A coil jig at least does make life much easier, as do angled tweezers, wire cutters and small precision screwdrivers. An ohm meter is a very good idea too. Good idea to keep a pair of small scissors exclusively for cotton too.

Good luck :)

+1 on all of that - for reference when I suggested the coilmaster set it's going to be useful from start to finish. From a personal standpoint I don't see the benefit in getting one or two tools and then having to get the rest further on down the track. That is definitely one of the things that taking the plunge has more benefit.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
+1 on all of that - for reference when I suggested the coilmaster set it's going to be useful from start to finish. From a personal standpoint I don't see the benefit in getting one or two tools and then having to get the rest further on down the track. That is definitely one of the things that taking the plunge has more benefit.

100% agree. I too have the Coilmaster v3 DIY kit, probably the best thing I've bought with regard to vaping. It's in use daily. I know some folks say that with kits you get several tools you won't need, less so with this I find, I use most everything and use them a lot. Great to have everything all together too. I actually priced up the individual items, judging that I would likely eventually need them all anyway, and it came out between 30-40% more expensive to build up slowly and buy individually. There are other brands like Coil Father that do almost identical kits, not sure what the quality is like, I only tried CM. One think I did supplement the kit with is a regular $2 coil mandrel, I find it handy to use for coil placement without having to pull out and assemble the kits included coiling jig.

Just one more thing. If you're thinking about juice capacity, you MIGHT be drawn down the path of considering RDTAs. My advice, don't go there. RDTAs can be difficult to wick and are just as fickle as tanks. If you want juice capacity, switch to squonking, either now or later, but I'd avoid RDTAs. I have two, not touched them in ages.

IMO RDTAs became popular (ish) while squonking was still a mega-bucks past-time. Folks wanted RDAs but with on-board juice capacity. For me that capacity is not enough (normally around the 2ml mark) plus there's the problem of wicks over-saturating and sitting constantly in juice (one of the reasons I don't use tanks much unless I think I'm gonna fill it, vape it to dry, wash it and put it away). Now squonking is so much more affordable, with some great devices (such as the Vandyvape Pulse 80), and with much better juice capacity (6-10ml) they kinda make RDTAs redundant IMO. I do very rarely use one of mine but that's because I like the vape off of it, not because of its 'tank'. Good to check that whatever RDA you buy comes with a squonk pin (most do these days) so that if you DO ever decide to go that route you have the pin already.

Oh, one thing to bear in mind, DO check which pin is fitted by default in whatever RDA you buy otherwise you might go straight to using it as a dripper and find that your mod is dribbling juice, reason being that the manufacturer supplies the atty with the squonk pin in by default (stupid IMO). The Nudge 22 and Recurve are two such RDAs that have the squonk pin fitted by default, easy enough to change, but quite a few have been caught out by it when you look at the "Why is my Recurve / Nudge leaking" posts that crop up across the vaperweb. Funnily, the designer of the Nudge commented that he didn't like the fact that the Recurve was fitted with the squonk pin by default, then, lo and behold, the Nudge comes fitted with the squonk pin by default (ooops - foot/mouth).

Last edited:

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
100% agree. I too have the Coilmaster v3 DIY kit, probably the best thing I bought with regard to vaping. It's in use daily. I know some folks say that with kits you get several tools you won't need, less so with this I find, I use most everything and use them a lot. Great to have everything all together too. I actually priced up the individual items, judging that I would need them all, and it came out between 30-40% more expensive to build up slowly and buy individually. There are other brands like Coil Father that do almost identical kits, not sure what the quality is like, I only tried CM.

Just one more thing. If you're thinking about juice capacity, you MIGHT be drawn down the path of considering RDTAs. My advice, don't go there. RDTAs can be difficult to wick and are just as fickle as tanks. If you want juice capacity, switch to squonking, either now or later, but I'd avoid RDTAs. I have two, not touched them in ages.

IMO RDTAs became popular (ish) while squonking was still a mega-bucks past-time. Folks wanted RDAs but with on-board juice capacity. For me that capacity is not enough plus there's the problem of wicks over saturating and sitting constantly in juice (one of the reasons I don't use tanks much unless I think I'm gonna fill it, vape it to dry, wash it and put it away). Now squonking is so much more affordable, with some great devices (such as the Vandyvape Pulse 80), and with much better juice capacity (6-10ml) they kinda make RDTAs redundant IMO. I do very rarely use one of mine but that's because I like the vape off of it, not because of its 'tank'. Good to check that whatever RDA you buy comes with a squonk pin (most do these days) so that if you DO ever decide to go that route you have the pin already.

Oh, one thing to bear in mind, DO check which pin is fitted by default in whatever RDA you buy otherwise you might go straight to using it as a dripper and find that your mod is dribbling juice, reason being that the manufacturer supplies the atty with the squonk pin in by default (stupid IMO). The Nudge 22 and Recurve are two such RDAs that have the squonk pin fitted by default, easy enough to change, but quite a few have been caught out by it when you look at the "Why is my Recurve / Nudge leaking" posts that crop up across the vaperweb. Funnily, the designer of the Nudge commented that he didn't like the fact that the Recurve was fitted with the squonk pin by default, then, lo and behold, the Nudge comes fitted with the squonk pin by default (ooops - foot/mouth).

+1 on the cost factor. Every time I hear people say “but you won’t use half of it” I know that I’ll find a use. Amazing how you don’t know it can be useful until you have it, then you wouldn’t be without it. Probably the only thing I haven’t tried has been the coil jig - because I’ve enjoyed pre made Aliens way too much, but it’s on
My list of things to start making for myself.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Mod wise yours will do no doubt
For a beginner rda i'd suggest something like the Drop, has a great reputation and i've been using one for months, very easy to build on (literally drop you coils into the post and tighten them.
Tool wise imo the most important is ceramic tweezers, 0hm readers aren't necessary as your mod should be accurate enough.

Otherwise if you want to make your own coils i'd highly suggest either Stainless steel or kanthal (i use 24Awg SS for a .3 dual) but to roll your own you might want a coil jig kit from coil masters it' ll make your life much easier to make them.

tac_driver

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2017
Texas
i can recommend this tool to make your life a lot easier from the start
https://www.amazon.com/Carson-DeskB...r=8-3&keywords=carson+magnifier+desk+lamp+led

also you should research squonking because you will probably end up there eventually
i have this
$16.47 YFTK NarCa Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 22mm diameter / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
and the flavor is amazing also very versatile in the builds you can put in

this is how easy it is to use

I use the vandy vape pulse 80 for my squonking mod

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I would start rebuilding a simple tank, like the OBS Engine Nano. Very basic build.

OBS Engine Nano Single Coil RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer

You'll need for this premade coils such as these. You just have to put it in place.
Prebuilt Coils - Pack of 10 - Clapton 0.6ohm

Cotton
Cotton Bacon Prime by Wick N Vape

And a toolkit. Preferrably a larger one to accomodate into the future
https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Tweezers-Resistant-Exclusive-LifeMods/dp/B01MCQTJ6D

I prefer you start with a tank and not a dripper because most drippers nowadays are for use with squonkers, and this tank is one of the easiest builds around. As for wrapping your own coils, it's not as easy as it might seem, stick to premade coils in the beginning. Rewicking you do when it starts tasting off, it might be slightly burned or funky. Rule of thumb, I open a 60 ml bottle and most of the time I vape all of it before rewicking. At first you can do it every 15 days or so, no need for more often unless you have wicking problems. You can rewick this on a full tank, turn it upside down and unscrew the bottom carefully.
As for the coil, when you rewick, put it through some hot water, carefully, put it in your mod and pulse it gently until it glows from the inside out. Rinse and repeat. Once it's cool you rewick. You don't need to touch your coil unless it blows or loses shape, I change my coils when I see resistance changes (as the metal wears out, the resistance will read higher). While it glows from the inside out without hotspots it's good to go.

And we're here to help with any questions. Just ask.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I would start rebuilding a simple tank, like the OBS Engine Nano. Very basic build.

OBS Engine Nano Single Coil RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer

You'll need for this premade coils such as these. You just have to put it in place.
Prebuilt Coils - Pack of 10 - Clapton 0.6ohm

Cotton
Cotton Bacon Prime by Wick N Vape

And a toolkit. Preferrably a larger one to accomodate into the future
https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Tweezers-Resistant-Exclusive-LifeMods/dp/B01MCQTJ6D

I prefer you start with a tank and not a dripper because most drippers nowadays are for use with squonkers, and this tank is one of the easiest builds around. As for wrapping your own coils, it's not as easy as it might seem, stick to premade coils in the beginning. Rewicking you do when it starts tasting off, it might be slightly burned or funky. Rule of thumb, I open a 60 ml bottle and most of the time I vape all of it before rewicking. At first you can do it every 15 days or so, no need for more often unless you have wicking problems. You can rewick this on a full tank, turn it upside down and unscrew the bottom carefully.
As for the coil, when you rewick, put it through some hot water, carefully, put it in your mod and pulse it gently until it glows from the inside out. Rinse and repeat. Once it's cool you rewick. You don't need to touch your coil unless it blows or loses shape, I change my coils when I see resistance changes (as the metal wears out, the resistance will read higher). While it glows from the inside out without hotspots it's good to go.

And we're here to help with any questions. Just ask.

Anyone reading this should disregard just about everything in the above post.

Mike P

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2017
Coilology Prebuilt Performance Coils - 7 in 1

grab a pack of these and save yourself tons of time and frustration. wish i knew about these when i started.

ive had the same set of framed staples in my dead rabbit for 3 months. i only dry burn when changing the wicks every month or so. nearly impossible to get these things gunked no matter what juice i use...

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
No. Because just about everything you posted is either wrong or just bad advice.
Really? Why don't you put your 2 cents worth? I've been rebuilding stuff for over 6 years. Correct what I said wrongly or shut up. Putting people down, specially long time vapers is bad policy. And being impolite too.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Really? Why don't you put your 2 cents worth? I've been rebuilding stuff for over 6 years. Correct what I said wrongly or shut up. Putting people down, specially long time vapers is bad policy. And being impolite too.

Well I won't speak for Don, but this statement in particular drew my attention:

I prefer you start with a tank and not a dripper because most drippers nowadays are for use with squonkers, and this tank is one of the easiest builds around

Most drippers are not for use with squonkers, implying that they might be exclusively FOR squonkers. They come with a BF pin either pre-installed or as part of your spares kit. Some might not have the option for BF or for dripping but the actual design of the atomiser itself isn't different, usually a BF atomiser can become a straight dripper. Now as far as RDA's only being for RDA's I have one sitting right in front of me that is exclusively for RDA vaping so I'll grant you half a mark for that one.

As far as tanks being easier; I won't question your experience but personally I found an RDA to be easier to build on simply because less parts and more space to get my largish fingers into.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well I won't speak for Don, but this statement in particular drew my attention:

Most drippers are not for use with squonkers, implying that they might be exclusively FOR squonkers. They come with a BF pin either pre-installed or as part of your spares kit. Some might not have the option for BF or for dripping but the actual design of the atomiser itself isn't different, usually a BF atomiser can become a straight dripper. Now as far as RDA's only being for RDA's I have one sitting right in front of me that is exclusively for RDA vaping so I'll grant you half a mark for that one.

As far as tanks being easier; I won't question your experience but personally I found an RDA to be easier to build on simply because less parts and more space to get my largish fingers into.
Most is the key word there... Listen, I know of people's love with squonkers, and that everybody thinks an RDA is an easier build for a noob. But it's not. I don't expect anyone to agree, but it's my 2 cents. In another thread a person is going crazy over a squonker. I know, I've been there. I built my first RDA in 2012 and wasn't a single bit excited about it. Stop recommending RDA as first builds. They're not easy to use. Most first time users will be dissapointed inmediately.

• Optimistic

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Most is the key word there... Listen, I know of people's love with squonkers, and that everybody thinks an RDA is an easier build for a noob. But it's not. I don't expect anyone to agree, but it's my 2 cents. In another thread a person is going crazy over a squonker. I know, I've been there. I built my first RDA in 2012 and wasn't a single bit excited about it. Stop recommending RDA as first builds. They're not easy to use. Most first time users will be dissapointed inmediately.

Well by your own admission it sounds more like a personal preference, there's no pre-requisite for whether someone will be an RDA or RTA or RDTA or BFRDA or whichever type of atomiser user unless they actually stated "RTA ONLY!!". I would probably say the best way is to try with some cheaper atomisers, because it won't make a lick of difference if the flavour is amazing if you can't build on it or you don't like using it, and it won't make a lick of difference if the build is amazing if it doesn't suit you for flavour.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well by your own admission it sounds more like a personal preference, there's no pre-requisite for whether someone will be an RDA or RTA or RDTA or BFRDA or whichever type of atomiser user unless they actually stated "RTA ONLY!!". I would probably say the best way is to try with some cheaper atomisers, because it won't make a lick of difference if the flavour is amazing if you can't build on it or you don't like using it, and it won't make a lick of difference if the build is amazing if it doesn't suit you for flavour.
Tell me how did you feel with your first RDA? Most people overdrip and make a mess out of it. Until you get the hang on how much to drip and when, it becomes a liquid puddle, not to mention you might be running it too high or too low. No wonder until squonkers, RDA were the choice of the minority. Yes, you usually had an RDA to taste juices, but most people vape tanks for the most part on an everyday basis. My own RDAs were abandoned for years, even a REO with a very expensive Vicious Ant Cyclops. It just was in a drawer. I always respected drippers, we started as drippers back in 09, but since the inception of rebuildable tanks most people vape tanks.

• Optimistic

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Tell me how did you feel with your first RDA? Most people overdrip and make a mess out of it. Until you get the hang on how much to drip and when, it becomes a liquid puddle, not to mention you might be running it too high or too low. No wonder until squonkers, RDA were the choice of the minority. Yes, you usually had an RDA to taste juices, but most people vape tanks for the most part on an everyday basis. My own RDAs were abandoned for years, even a REO with a very expensive Vicious Ant Cyclops. It just was in a drawer. I always respected drippers, we started as drippers back in 09, but since the inception of rebuildable tanks most people vape tanks.

hmmmmm nope, my experience was that it was better than an RTA. I got the Zeus SC before I got any RDA, then I got the Bonza simply because I hated pulling the Zeus apart and getting juice all over my hands and I've had RDA's ever since - the Zeus sits in my vape cupboard and never gets used. And if you say "well you're doing it wrong" then please refer back to your message I just quoted, and my point still stands that people will react differently to different things.

At this point it seems like you're trying REALLY hard to justify your love of RTA's rather than provide an objective opinion. Your stance is purely anecdotal rather than any form of fact or logic. Now that's fine, if you like RTA's sell your love of RTA's and I will not argue with your experience, but please do not try and argue your point as gospel.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
hmmmmm nope, my experience was that it was better than an RTA. I got the Zeus SC before I got any RDA, then I got the Bonza simply because I hated pulling the Zeus apart and getting juice all over my hands and I've had RDA's ever since - the Zeus sits in my vape cupboard and never gets used. And if you say "well you're doing it wrong" then please refer back to your message I just quoted, and my point still stands that people will react differently to different things.

At this point it seems like you're trying REALLY hard to justify your love of RTA's rather than provide an objective opinion. Your stance is purely anecdotal rather than any form of fact or logic. Now that's fine, if you like RTA's sell your love of RTA's and I will not argue with your experience, but please do not try and argue your point as gospel.
Not gospel. But drippers always think their vape is the only vape. And the Zeus is one of the easiest, most satisfying builds around. You're too new to the game, most people haven't gone with the frustration of something not working. You bought a tank that didn't work for you? I've built at least 50 that didn't work.
Might as well have told him to get the RBA for the Smok, and it would yield the same result. You hold your ground, I'll hold mine. Just don't say it's bad advice. It's bad policy.

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread