New Variable Voltage device from smoktech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
Yes it is PWM indeed, it has the same shape as the 1.0 version, but inside it is completely diferent, other booster, other suporting electronics.

The producer better would have given it another shape and name. Hope you can put your hands at one soon.

Yes it is PWM, I got 1 a month ago and have been testing it since. So far preliminary testing shows with a 6 volt output setting it has a SOLID 4.8 - 5.3 output with a Smoketech 1.5 ohm Dual Coil. Thats pretty good considering the V1 LT could barely get a 3.45 output with the same Dual Coil carto. And your right,it does perform MUCH BETTER. With the added functions and a 3.2 amp limit it's a pretty nice device for the money. I haven't seen it really drop below .3 volts on any voltage setting until around 5.6 and up. But these are preliminary tests with a AW IMR 2000maH battery which claims to have 10 amps of sustained current output which is incredible,the old 1600maH AW IMR did not have that same amperage output. The internals of this is completely different than the LRider version. I have 2 units,1 that I completely dismantled, and 1 for use and rigorous testing. I have to admit,not a bad little device,and pretty cost effective for what you get. I could see these going for $60-$65 (tube only) and $85-$90 for the full kits in the U.S. market......BUT THE VMAX STILL BLOWS IT OUT OF THE WATER !!!!! lol...lol......I love my CHROME VMAX, my black VMAX will be here monday !!!!!!

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
BUT THE VMAX STILL BLOWS IT OUT OF THE WATER !!!!! lol...lol......I love my CHROME VMAX, my black VMAX will be here monday !!!!!!

Just wanted to see that in bold. :)

I can't wait to get my hands on a VMax. To me, this brewing rivalry between the ProVari camp and the VMax fans is starting to look like "Harleys" vs. "Rice rockets". Both have their strengths, and neither is for everyone. But I have a strong feeling that I'm going to like the VMax very, very much. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get a ProVari as well, some time after the VMax, and that I'll like that very, very much as well.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
So far preliminary testing shows with a 6 volt output setting it has a SOLID 4.8 - 5.3 output with a Smoketech 1.5 ohm Dual Coil. Thats pretty good considering the V1 LT could barely get a 3.45 output with the same Dual Coil carto.

I'm not sure I would consider that to be very good, just considering that almost any $35 to $60 USD VV plastic box mod can run a 1.5 ohm dual coils at 5.8 to 6.0v when set to 6.0v with appropriate batteries installed. But, then I'm not so sure I need to run a 1.5 ohm DC much above 5.0v any more. I had a couple of juices that held up well in the 6.0v range a few months ago, but I don't use them. Plus, I have re-thought operating at or above 4 amps.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I'm not sure I would consider that to be very good, just considering that almost any $35 to $60 USD VV plastic box mod can run a 1.5 ohm dual coils at 5.8 to 6.0v when set to 6.0v with appropriate batteries installed. But, then I'm not so sure I need to run a 1.5 ohm DC much above 5.0v any more. I had a couple of juices that held up well in the 6.0v range a few months ago, but I don't use them. Plus, I have re-thought operating at or above 4 amps.

Yeah but, the Provari can't. :)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Yeah but, the Provari can't. :)

No doubt. Neither can the BP or my VVPV since they top out at 5.6v. - None of those devices are supposed to though. Their makers decided on some limits. And the supposed 5 amp limit (which is a whole separate set of concerns) should be able to accomplish the task.

My real concern with the statement was that when set to 6.0v, it might output 4.8 or as much as 5.3. Half a volt difference at the same setting with the same carto isn't what I would characterize as "solid" as the person who made the statement did.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
Maybe I should clarify for certain people....... the "whole" reason for the post was to compare the old LT (LAVATUBE) with the "NEW" LT, old version (V1), to NEW version(V1.5) . And I think reading the entire post it kinda does just that. And clearly going from a 2.5 amp limit to a now 3.2 amp,its obviously going to be a more SOLID device. But I guess if you dont have 1, theirs no way you could see or understand what Im talking about. It's ok though, I've got the testing equipment to show me the difference between the 2 units....and the provari V1 & V2,...and the VMAX,....which is the only device Im using right now. Both of my provari's are collecting dust. I may just sell every mod I have and keep my 2 VMAX's.

FYI,the lavatube v1.5 has a 3.2 amp limit, not 5 amp....thats the VMAX.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
And I think reading the entire post it kinda does just that. And clearly going from a 2.5 amp limit to a now 3.2 amp,its obviously going to be a more SOLID device. But I guess if you dont have 1, theirs no way you could see or understand what Im talking about. It's ok though, I've got the testing equipment to show me the difference between the 2 units.

FYI,the lavatube v1.5 has a 3.2 amp limit, not 5 amp....thats the VMAX.

I've read every word in this thread. And, I have an electronics background, so I am completely capable of understanding.

What I'd really like is a little more information on what you meant when you said that when it is set at 6.0v, it loads a 1.5 ohm dual coil at 4.8v to 5.3v. You described that as solid performance. Would you explain what you meant? And, would you give some details as to the circumstances when it loaded 4.8v versus the circumstances when it loaded 5.3v? Thanks.

And, that's good news about the amp limit.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
The new LT has PWM circuitry, which means the voltage when fired has a high, a low, and a average voltage output. As I was metering it underload, the lowest voltage readout was 4.8v, the highest was 5.3v. When it was set to 6v and had the high and low voltages steady with a Dual Coil 1.5 ohm carto, thats not too bad considering the price point of this device. Now the old LT under these same circumstances would drop down to 3.43v....THATS HORRIBLE !!! And even with a 3.0 ohm single coil the 1st version would never go over 5.2v. So I would consider the new LT to be a HUGE improvement to the previous. Im not a 5 or even 6v vaper,so this is all useless to me. But for those that want it to vape a DC with atleast decent power, this is a device that will do it (in my opinion) and the reason for the test.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
VAPNJ350. I appreciate reading your threads regarding the Smoktech VMax, but let's keep things in perspective.

It appears that your VMax is not exactly the same model VMax that has appeared in Europe or Asia. The finish is different, the tube is different, the LED display is different and for all we know the electronics may not be the same.

Add to that the fact that the mass-produced VMax models sent to North American retailers may differ from the European and Asian models we see reported today.

If I trust my intuition, I'd say that your VMax has the same electronics that will appear for sale in the US, but not the same LED display, tube or finish. I suspect Smoktech will be very particular with the batteries they sell with the VMax kits at full price.

Let's take your information for what it is. You have an early (test) production run example of VMax. It gives us all an important and valuable clue into what the VMax may be when it is sold in the US, but it's not the same thing.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Oh-Snap.gif

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
No doubt. Neither can the BP or my VVPV since they top out at 5.6v. - None of those devices are supposed to though. Their makers decided on some limits. And the supposed 5 amp limit (which is a whole separate set of concerns) should be able to accomplish the task.

My real concern with the statement was that when set to 6.0v, it might output 4.8 or as much as 5.3. Half a volt difference at the same setting with the same carto isn't what I would characterize as "solid" as the person who made the statement did.

Actually the BP tops out at 5.3V. I notice that you don't mention where the Provari tops out. It's 4.7V. The cheaper mods with linear regulators can do better than both. You pay for it with battery life.

To be honest, assuming this mod performs to specs. it's limited by the batteries capabilities and whatever protection is in place for the batteries. Given that there are not really any other limits in place the battery protection gets really important.

I've never cared much about meters. A good honest knob is all you really need.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
VAPNJ350. I appreciate reading your threads regarding the Smoktech VMax, but let's keep things in perspective.

It appears that your VMax is not exactly the same model VMax that has appeared in Europe or Asia. The finish is different, the tube is different, the LED display is different and for all we know the electronics may not be the same.

Add to that the fact that the mass-produced VMax models sent to North American retailers may differ from the European and Asian models we see reported today.

If I trust my intuition, I'd say that your VMax has the same electronics that will appear for sale in the US, but not the same LED display, tube or finish. I suspect Smoktech will be very particular with the batteries they sell with the VMax kits at full price.

Let's take your information for what it is. You have an early (test) production run example of VMax. It gives us all an important and valuable clue into what the VMax may be when it is sold in the US, but it's not the same thing.

Ok, I can respect that . So I'll have my black VMAX monday....the same model that WILL sell in the U.S. Would you like me to tell my test findings on that one also, so we can be sure exactly what to expect ? Im thinking the only difference is the blue to red led display,which in no way can change the performance of the actual device. The black unit will be on my test bench all day going thru the sequence. I've got all the data recorded from the chrome unit,I guess it will be pretty intresting to see if they match up toe to toe.......hey if they do ....you buyin ?? lol:p

By the way..my previous post was about the Lavatube V1.5 that I just received and tested, not the VMAX.

Last edited:

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Ok, I can respect that . So I'll have my black VMAX monday....the same model that WILL sell in the U.S. Would you like me to tell my test findings on that one also, so we can be sure exactly what to expect ? Im thinking the only difference is the blue to red led display,which in no way can change the performance of the actual device. The black unit will be on my test bench all day going thru the sequence. I've got all the data recorded from the chrome unit,I guess it will be pretty intresting to see if they match up toe to toe.......hey if they do ....you buyin ?

What are you doing with the results of your testing? Sending them back to China, or are you doing your own review, or planning on selling them?

I'd definitely be curious to see the data you recorded from the chrome unit you have, and any data you get from the black model "going thru the sequence". Why not share some actual empirical data? I'm sure many here are interested.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Actually the BP tops out at 5.3V. I notice that you don't mention where the Provari tops out. It's 4.7V. The cheaper mods with linear regulators can do better than both. You pay for it with battery life.

To be honest, assuming this mod performs to specs. it's limited by the batteries capabilities and whatever protection is in place for the batteries. Given that there are not really any other limits in place the battery protection gets really important.

I've never cared much about meters. A good honest knob is all you really need.

I don't own a provari, so I didn't really feel a need to mention it ;) I know that you have a BP and I have a VVPV so those were appropriate to mention.

I really agree about the necessity of some protections. I'm less than clear understanding what this device is supposed to have. I read in a couple of other threads it's supposed to have a 5 amp limit, but now in this one that it's 3.2 amps. At 5 amps, I don't believe it can actually have overdischarge or even short circuit protection. By the time a set of in series batts are putting out 5 amps due to a problem, I think it's probably unlikely to be able to stop what happens next by disabling the circuit. It's already too late. --- But if it is 3.2 amps, then that's much better.

I'm also with you on the knob/dial. I don't need or want any sort of a digital display... although in the case of the madvapes VV box, I was happy to see them come out with a version that has a voltmeter. Their trim pots are super sensitive (a little bit of motion = a big voltage change with mine), so the displayed voltage will save a few people from popping a coil. -- But in the case of the IP/BP/VVPV/VVREO, start low and move up until it tastes and feels right. Can't get much easier than that. I shouldn't have to look at a display to make a change.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Ok, I can respect that . So I'll have my black VMAX monday....the same model that WILL sell in the U.S. Would you like me to tell my test findings on that one also, so we can be sure exactly what to expect ? Im thinking the only difference is the blue to red led display,which in no way can change the performance of the actual device. The black unit will be on my test bench all day going thru the sequence. I've got all the data recorded from the chrome unit,I guess it will be pretty intresting to see if they match up toe to toe.......hey if they do ....you buyin ?? lol:p

By the way..my previous post was about the Lavatube V1.5 that I just received and tested, not the VMAX.
Cool. Yes, because you seem to be interested in the details I would like to see the results of your evaluation of the black VMax. Please pass along any information regarding the batteries that Smoktech will include with the kit and how many?

No, I won't be buying a VMax anytime soon. I'm very happy with my 3.7V regulated E-Power 14650 although I may be ready to upgrade to a VV with all the bells and whistles near the end of the year... a treat for staying off the cigs.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
What are you doing with the results of your testing? Sending them back to China, or are you doing your own review, or planning on selling them?

I'd definitely be curious to see the data you recorded from the chrome unit you have, and any data you get from the black model "going thru the sequence". Why not share some actual empirical data? I'm sure many here are interested.[.

I dont do you tube reviews, my career with Hewlett Packard keeps me too busy. I do the tests for myslf 1st and foremost,just for the fact of wanting to know the true numbers. Then I will share what I found out about the unit with a particular vendor who wants to carry it but before putting in the order for them they want to know if it's a good investment. And last since Smoketech did send me the 1st unit I am expected to let them know what I personally thought of it and my data findings. I have no clue what you mean by selling it.....selling what. I have a great career that I make my money at,I dont understand what I would sell in this conversation. I think I missed something somewhere. As far as sharing data here.... I try to just keep it simple and tell my "opinion" of the device as backed by testing. And even doing that much Im still catching a little slack from members, but its to be expected on ecf I guess, my skins pretty thick, and really if they spend the money to get the VMAX I know they'll see exactly what I was talking about . :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread