Newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

relly

Apr 21, 2012
Villa Rica
In my opinion (for what it's worth) I agree with the other poster about starting with the ego or kgo. The passthru option is GREAT! You can vape while it is charging. With a LR boge on the ego, I get a great vape. I personally like the LR clearomizer on mine, it looks great and works great. I have a VV mod now as well but still like my ego.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
To be honest you're going to have problems making it pay off if you're paying $1.20 a pack and a pack a day between you.
I spend between $1.80-$2.40 a day on juice. I do go with what many here claim is expensive but I can't find any much cheaper that's US made.
Go back to the name brands and it will pay off quickly :)

If completely quitting or health is your goal of course that would pay off if you do your part.
Otherwise you'll probably have to go to DIY juice (are your kids behaved enough to stay out of the nicotine?).

2 batteries and 2 attys in a kit is more for backup. You don't want to be left without anything while a battery is charging. Often even a single kit isn't a complete backup and you need another for when parts start dying.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
So do we need 2 each? Or will the 2 be enough for both of us? Also, I've heard that you shouldn't leave them on the charger overnight while you sleep. Wives tale? I've heard (from everyone that I've ever mentioned ecigs to) about the guy who got his face blown off. *shudder*

Reallly cool. I like that I can see inside of them. I hear running out of juice is a no no.

I should've mentioned, the one redeeming feature of the mini cigars is that they come in different flavors (the only redeeming feature actually, they're quite harsh!). We loved trying all of the different flavors and so far prefer the vanilla or berry flavors. I'm super excited to be able to try things that actually HAVE the flavor though instead of a little flavor and some harsh smoke. (I think I saw a pina colada flavored one somewhere!)

Couple more questions here, you won't get a full month out of the clearomizers? Is this something I'll need to replace weekly/biweekly? I mean they're pretty cheap, but I'm having to break it down into total costs per pack (as best I can) - he runs his own business and is trying to keep a family of 5 going, it still kinda comes down to the bottom line. Yes, I know going cold turkey is really the cheapest option, but we tried that and it almost ended our marriage. Apparently we both REALLY NEED the nicotine! :p

Do clearomizers need to have all PG juices? I only ask because like I said - I really wanted to try some other stuff. It sounds like fun! Also, in the link you sent me, I see nothing about what kind of juice it is (PG, VG, etc), how do I know what kind it is?

It all looks cool, I'll give you that! I was honestly rather intimidated by all of the choices and the more I tried to research - the more fuzzy it all became. My head is still spinning. I am so glad everyone made suggestions! I know the only real way I'm going to learn is to jump in and try, but I'd really like keep it from being a costly lesson.

Thanks so much!

As far as the batteries go, I was trying to stay within your budget. Since good quality batts that will last you all day and are expandable to lots of other gear for 2 people would normally eat at least 2/3 of the $150 alloted (not easy for 2 people). Short of sharing one charged battery while the other charges, I thought charging while vaping could be a solution. Until you can afford more.

Ideally you'd have at least 2 each, then having at least one extra emergency backup would still be a good idea.

I leave my batts charging overnight all the time. Do you leave laptop or cell phone plugged in overnight? Same thing really.

As far as the clearomizers, I just started using them myself so I really can't say for sure how well they'll hold up. They just need to be cleaned and dried every so often. After another day's use, I'm starting to think they may be better than I thought.

There will always be some part that needs replacement every so often no matter which setup you choose.

The reason I mentioned the "all PV" juice was mostly because of the lower voltage these types of batteries put out. Low voltage and thick juices don't play well with cartomizers and atomizers. However if you choose the Low Resistance Cartos or clearos you'll have a little room for some VG in the mix. If you want to vape 100 VG we'd have to start talking expensive Volt mods.

There are plenty of 100% PG juices out there that are really good. With LR Cartos and Clearos on a standard Ego batt, I can usually get away with about 25% VG as long as the flavoring used wasn't real thick and sticky. But 50/50 clogs me up pretty good.

About the juice flavors, I don't blame you a bit. I love all the great juices out there and make my own as well. The juice mentioned above was mainly for the price. It's good basic juice for a good price and is pretty much what got me off of marlboro reds.

I'll leave you to budget your juices, but they do add up quickly when tempted by all of those luscious flavors.

There is another option where the main "regularly replaced part" is even cheaper. Instead of clearomizers you can get 2 small Dual Coil Tanks (DCTs) around $8-10 ea and some cartomizers. The cartomizers are cheap ($25 for 15 @ crystalclearvaping.com). My Current DCT has been on the same cartomizer going on 3 weeks now.

The tanks are see though as well but not nearly as convenient if you want to switch flavors very often.

Oh and making your own juices can payoff in the end but the startup cost for getting everything you need is probably about the same as starting vaping LOL.

Last edited:

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Ncandler. Welcome to the ECF. in follow up to Travtechs post he pretty much gave you the advice I would have. If staying in budget for the first month is task one then the liquid you purchase should be the liquid you stick with until you can justify the expense of branching out for other flavors... Pick something in the basic tobacco type since you are purchasing for yourself and your signifigant other. I would think that fifty ml of liquid each should last you a month to start.

On the front of cartos to attach to your battery theres not much better, in terms of return on investment, than a box of Boge cartomizers. They are tried and true. Theres very little fiddling to be done with them. I use one carto per about every five to eight days. On average I use five to ten ml of low nic liquid per day. A box of five can be had for $6-$8. Boge 510 Cartomizers for 510 or eGo or http://www.crystalclearvaping.com/3...ISERS-15-STANDARD-SIZE-CARTOMISERS-_p_45.html as some examples. Also for these cartos a 510 drip tip make use more comfortable and topping-off easier to perform as well. I have three versions of the stardust, just because there where so many folks who raved about them. They work But they are not for me and i reallly wanted them to be as great as they appeard but for me they are just not. If you do get a larger battery type 650 ~1000mAh I would suggest the 2ohm Boge cartos for their performance, reliability,and price. Also once they begin to taper off in their performance they can be cleaned fairly easily and re-used for a while to get a few extra miles out of them.

And now the batteries for your PV. The eGo style units are great but with the ultimate goal of being easy, inexpensive and reliable I would suggest somehting like this....Joye eGo-T MOD with Sanyo 18650 2600mah 3.7v Li-ion (x4)...and TrustFire TR-001 Multi Charger for Li-ion or Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - EGO E-Power These kit have replaceable parts, batteries that can be replaced for cheap if need be, and will give you the absolute best use time available of any basic off the shelf starter units. My third PV was an eGo knock off which was far far superior to the prior two small units i owned. I am a firm believer in the larger battery models, if long term running cost is a factor either of these is a good investment. Size wise they are a little longer than a sharpie marker , and a bit thicker in diameter than a standard AA battery (AA battery~14mm these are ~20mm) diameter. Yes they are larger but they will pay you back in being a reliable and consistant vape. And also Good Prophets does free shipping at $30.

And as far as your last question of vaping more than smoking. Yes I vape more than i smoked,now. When I began vaping I had no idea even how to draw on my device properly. When I began vaping i went through maybe thirty little dinky carts(cartridges) that held a whoppig seven drops of eliquid in my first month. I had a hard time. I wasn't getting enough nicotine( my kit included 12mg carts) I had no support, I had no one to ask for advice......... My first two months where pretty aweful. I found the ECF while trying to research an alternative device to the one i started with...... Next thing I knew i actually could ask questions, read other peoples advice, watch reviews. It was all much easier after about a bajillion(fictitious number) hours of swimming in all the info that was actually available. Thank You ECF.

Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I haven't been here long started with a specific vendor. I found that the cartomizers-those that have the batting inside could be used about 7/8 times if you didn't burn them. When they get low on juice you just refill them but you have to buy juice to go with them. I started with the prefilled cartos and refilled for awhile. If you don't vape much it could work for awhile till you get used to it. I found the biggest prob was getting a juice I really liked. This is really a bit of a learning experience but I think the best way to go are the tanks- to me that is cheaper in the long run. They can be used over and over and the flavor is better. A good idea is to start with 510 threaded equip it allows for more options in the future as you learn. Trav gives good advise. If a battery fails and you only have 2 someone is not happy.

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
The newer ego e-power kit at sweet-vapes.com is only $39.95, two kits would give you all day batteries, two chargers, and an extra battery a piece while leaving $70 for juice and accessories. A few 50ml bottles of juice from madvapes.com and you are set for a long while, could order some cartomizers from crystal clear vaping, or some vision clearomizers(not sure who has the best deal on these as I buy them locally at vapor kings). That's a pretty awesome value to be totally outfitted with nice non disposable PVs for two people that are totally compatible with every 510 and ego accessory out there plus juice for a month or better.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Hello on a $150.00 budget combined for two I'd suggest the following
High Desert Ecigs -
Get two of these the 900mah should do the trick and you can vary the voltage.
For your liquid buy 1 bottle of the 60mg Nic Base VG
High Desert Ecigs -
Start DIY
Than buy Two bottles of PG
High Desert Ecigs -

Dilute the 60mg down to the level you feel comfortable with 2 parts straight PG to 1 Part 60mg will put you at a beginning level. If you find it's not satisfying you just add more 60mg to the mix.

Than go to
High Desert Ecigs - and have fun picking out your flavors.

Go to High Desert Ecigs - and buy 5 of these dropper bottles.

Finally if you are looking for the absolute best clearomizers on the market and you have some money left over.
Go here and buy these for your ego Vision eGo CE4+ Clearomizer DV Edition

You now have an awesome setup for two for around $150.00

Last edited:

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
The newer ego e-power kit at sweet-vapes.com is only $39.95, two kits would give you all day batteries, two chargers, and an extra battery a piece while leaving $70 for juice and accessories. A few 50ml bottles of juice from madvapes.com and you are set for a long while, could order some cartomizers from crystal clear vaping, or some vision clearomizers(not sure who has the best deal on these as I buy them locally at vapor kings). That's a pretty awesome value to be totally outfitted with nice non disposable PVs for two people that are totally compatible with every 510 and ego accessory out there plus juice for a month or better.

Nice find. At that price 2 E-powers would be a much better and even long term solution for the PV.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
The cheapo kit is only 650Mah and not variable.
For a little more she will have something to keep not something that she'll want to upgrade once she is more sophisticated.
High Desert Ecigs - ecig The 900mah is enough for even a chain vaper to go a day at 3.7v. The unit has variable voltage to cover a range of atomizers and also has voltage stabilization so the experience is good.
She'll spend a little more at the beginning and spend a lot less later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread