Next big breakthrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
Might be silly but I find myself wondering when the next big breakthrough will come as far as batteries go. Comparing it to cell phones it seems like we're all still using the giant brick motorola's zack used on saved by the bell (was that his name? lol)... When do you think we'll see 1,000mah batts the size of 510 cig-a-likes? Is that rly the future or is the only thing that shrunk in cell phones the circuitry/processor? Idk so I'm asking (and too lazy to google this). Obviously they're working on it but I'm just curious how long you think it will be till this type of batt is possible.

:glare:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Will be cool to get high mah on a cig-a-like. It will take a scientific breakthrough of sorts for that to happen though, some next generation technology. I think there is some direction in smaller batteries, but nothing dramatic that I'm aware of. Who knows though, huge leaps in technology happen quicker each day, and battery technology is involved in so much from cell phones and laptops to cars. Another possibility is figuring out how to get high performance using less power.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
"It will take a scientific breakthrough of sorts for that to happen though, some next generation technology"

That's what I mean, how far off do you think they are from that? 1 year, 5 years? I assume it'll happen eventually but if you look at how fast cell phones evolved it seems like it should be happening faster than it is.

Jarski44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Houston, TX
That's what I mean, how far off do you think they are from that? 1 year, 5 years? I assume it'll happen eventually but if you look at how fast cell phones evolved it seems like it should be happening faster than it is.

Cell phones are a primary market, and a huge one at that. E-cigs are a secondary market, in other words they are pieced together from components of existing technologies. Additionally, the battery technologies needed are very different between the two. I think e-cig battery advancement will stem from electric car battery research. Both are require high drain, high density, light weight batteries. Given the amount of research money pouring into e-car battery research, I am quite hopeful for significant progress over the next 5 years or so.

Scoop224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Cincinnati
I find it confusing how the battery in my last pacemaker/defibrillator lasted almost 8 years and still had some life left in it, even after pacing me several times a day and shocking the crap out of me (saving my life) 3 times......yet my smartphone battery won't even make it through a whole day....

I'm waiting for a uranium based nuclear power-plant upgrade from Provape! Might be spendy...and my skin might peel off... But I bet that would vape like a jumbo jet!!!

Unc1987

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2013
North Carolina
I find it confusing how the battery in my last pacemaker/defibrillator lasted almost 8 years and still had some life left in it, even after pacing me several times a day and shocking the crap out of me (saving my life) 3 times......yet my smartphone battery won't even make it through a whole day....

I'm waiting for a uranium based nuclear power-plant upgrade from Provape! Might be spendy...and my skin might peel off... But I bet that would vape like a jumbo jet!!!

I think maybe its because your heart beat also helps recharge your pacemaker...they both work to help each other out I think. Maybe I'm wrong

Scoop224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Cincinnati
I think maybe its because your heart beat also helps recharge your pacemaker...they both work to help each other out I think. Maybe I'm wrong

I honestly don't think it does..... But maybe the $35,000 price tag suggests a killer (no pun intended) power source that isn't available to the gen pop.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo

I'm willing to make sacrifices. I would take some skin peeling for a 5000 mAh vw cig-a-like.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
zackphone.jpg

I base my life on the teachings of Zack Morris.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I definitely have an idea of a 510 sized e-cig that could last as long as a big battery but.. I doubt it'd ever happen.
I mean, since I heard you can make some rechargeable batteries any shape you'd like, I've though of some designs.
But I don't think a company would use my designs because they wouldn't "feel" like a real cigarette in your hand.
It would look like a regular 510 sized e-cig to others, but you would still see + feel the large battery.

Suppository technology has come a long way.

The issue isnt about longevity, power, or size. The real answer to your question, and those in this topic, is price. Your smart phone battery most likely costs about 30 dollars to replace. The battery in a pacemaker is part of a 40-90,000 dollar device. There are batteries like a CR2477 that is barely 2 inches around, and only about 5mm high that has the same capacity as my 5 inch long 1000mah Ego Twist. No one wants to replace a 5 dollar battery once a day however.

Thats one of the major problems. We can get WAY more power from the same size, or a MUCH smaller battery with the same power, but it isnt going to be rechargeable. I dont really see electric car batteries "trickling down" to other markets for a bunch of reasons. Namely, electric cars are getting to the tipping point of car companies giving up on the idea even with the very large subsidies given to them by the government. Chevy famously stated they lost something close to 40,000 dollars for every Volt they sold. Nissan has said that the Leaf not only loses money but that demand is much lower than expected. Electric cars arent new either. The streets of America were filled with electric cars in the very early 1900's and the problems then are the same problems we have 100+ years later... expensive, short range, and a need for an entire infrastructure that doesnt exist and no one is willing to build.

Another big issue with electric car batteries is their technology isnt very easy to scale down. You are talking about batteries that take up the space of a twin size mattress and weigh several hundred pounds when working together. Figuring out how to get that technology down to the size of something like a AAA battery is going to take decades and decades of research... research I am not convinced will continue on the major scale needed to accomplish in our kids lifetimes.

Much like "alternative energy" cars I would bet on a power source change rather than further development of the battery. For cars that is most likely going to be Hydrogen or Natural Gas. Who knows what that will be for something so small as an Ecig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread