Ni or SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP818

Nov 11, 2018
Looking into trying something other than kanthal... what do you guys recommend for a single coil Drop rda??

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20181219_155107.jpg
    20181219_155107.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Looking into trying something other than kanthal... what do you guys recommend for a single coil Drop rda??

Thanks guys!

I would Highly Suggest that you try both Stainless Steel as well as NiChrome 80.

As to using "pure" Nickel. As in Ni-200. No... I wouldn't recommend using Ni-200.

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
honestly I haven't noticed a real difference between kanthal and ss, aside from ramp up time
ss seems to ramp up slower so I have to up the watts to get it vaping quicker
as for flavor output, eh...no difference that I can tell
but then again I buy el cheapo standard premade bulk coils from fasttech ;)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
As to using "pure" Nickel. As in Ni-200. No... I wouldn't recommend using Ni-200.
Of all of the wire I tried, I love nickel the best. It just rinses off clean most of the time and very low maintenance. Of course, it is meant for TC only. Then there are like 20% that have an allergy towards it (NiChrome 80 has the same problem). So for some, bad idea. For others, very good idea. ;)

Reactions: JP818

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Of all of the wire I tried, I love nickel the best. It just rinses off clean most of the time and very low maintenance. Of course, it is meant for TC only. Then there are like 20% that have an allergy towards it (NiChrome 80 has the same problem). So for some, bad idea. For others, very good idea. ;)

When I look of PITA in the Vaper's Dictionary, there is a paragraph for Ni-200 in the description.

Some, like yourself, may like it. And that's Great.

But I would Never recommend it to someone. Especially if that someone is someone who I wasn't sure was Well Versed in the use of TC.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    When I look of PITA in the Vaper's Dictionary, there is a paragraph for Ni-200 in the description.

Some, like yourself, may like it. And that's Great.

But I would Never recommend it to someone. Especially if that someone is someone who I wasn't sure was Well Versed in the use of TC.

Don't know about all of you here, but for myself, I don't like winding coils made from Nickle as it's too soft and pliable and difficult to work with compared to SS.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Of course, that is a given. Same thing about TC. Never to anybody not well versed in TC unless it is Replay. :p

JMO...

Before the advent of Stainless Steel, using Ni-200 was kinda a Double Edged Sword. Many would use it because they wanted to use TC. And there just weren't too many Other choices.

But once SS hit the scene, the use of Ni-200 became more of a Hold-Over from a bygone era.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Don't know about all of you here, but for myself, I don't like winding coils made from Nickle as it's too soft and pliable and difficult to work with compared to SS.
    I love soft wire, bend it fold it shape it to your liking. Stiff wire is a PITA. Way too springy, tough to bend and shape. And it pokes holes in your skin like a needle. Very unsanitary. And if you don't like soft nickel, there is always tempered nickel that is stiff like Kanthal. Careful, you could stab someone with that stuff!

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I love soft wire, bend it fold it shape it to your liking. Stiff wire is a PITA. Way too springy, tough to bend and shape. And it pokes holes in your skin like a needle. Very unsanitary. And if you don't like soft nickel, there is always tempered nickel that is stiff like Kanthal. Careful, you could stab someone with that stuff!

well, I suppose it's all in what a person likes …. I like springy, stiff, wire .. for me it's easier to work with.... Yes, Nickle bends into shape much easier but the problem is that it bends too easily (at least for me)…. I'll stick with the SS and you can stick with the Nickle (SS is worth more than Nickle ;))

Kidding aside, I am glad you like Nickle and that it works for you.... It's good that there are alternatives that will suit varied individuals.

Reactions: JP818

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    But once SS hit the scene, the use of Ni-200 became more of a Hold-Over from a bygone era.
    SS is horrible. And SS316L is one of the worst TC wires out there. Most mods can't even do SS316L TC well at all. Some like DNA boards can though. And most non-TC coil heads use nickel legs. Nickel is used more often than not and it is still very popular today. And pure nickel Claptons are the best Claptons I ever vaped on. The heat transfers so evenly and the metal is so temperature sensitive. ;)

Reactions: AXIOM_1

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    well, I suppose it's all in what a person likes …. I like springy, stiff, wire .. for me it's easier to work with.... Yes, Nickle bends into shape much easier but the problem is that it bends too easily (at least for me)…. I'll stick with the SS and you can stick with the Nickle (SS is worth more than Nickle ;))
    Sure springy is easy to work with? How do you figure? Watch a blacksmith work with springy metal. Then watch someone working with clay. Now tell me whether soft or springy is easier to work with? And if you want springy nickel, like I said before that tempered nickel is very stiff and springy if that is what you want.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Sure springy is easy to work with? How do you figure? Watch a blacksmith work with springy metal. Then watch someone working with clay. Now tell me whether soft or springy is easier to work with? And if you want springy nickel, like I said before that tempered nickel is very stiff and springy if that is what you want.

Yep, I like it better.... I have wound both Nickle coils and SS coils and hands down I like working with SS better, "springy" or not … Is that a sin? You like to work with Nickle and I don't. I am glad you like Nickle but I am willing to bet that there are many folks here who hate working with it. Does that mean that we are all deplorable for liking SS? People should use whatever they like the best and whatever works the best for them.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    SS is horrible. And SS316L is one of the worst TC wires out there. Most mods can't even do SS316L TC well at all. Some like DNA boards can though. And most non-TC coil heads use nickel legs. Nickel is used more often than not and it is still very popular today. And pure nickel Claptons are the best Claptons I ever vaped on. The heat transfers so evenly and the metal is so temperature sensitive. ;)

I don't use TC all that much. I like the Hit from VW better. But when I do use TC, 316/316L works just fine.

And for the Hit I'm looking for in VW, 316/316L is a Stellar Choice. Although I do like NiChrome 80 for some of my RTA's.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Yep, I like it better.... I have wound both Nickle coils and SS coils and hands down I like working with SS better, "springy" or not … Is that a sin? You like to work with Nickle and I don't. I am glad you like Nickle but I am willing to bet that there are many folks here who hate working with it. Does that mean that we are all deplorable for liking SS? People should use whatever they like the best and whatever works the best for them.
    Of course! And some prefer smoking cigarettes too and who am I to tell them that vaping is better?

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I don't use TC all that much. I like the Hit from VW better. But when I do use TC, 316/316L works just fine.

And for the Hit I'm looking for in VW, 316/316L is a Stellar Choice. Although I do like NiChrome 80 for some of my RTA's.

yeah I mostly use Wattage myself ….. I have a mod coming my way in a few days and I plan on doing some more experimenting with TC on that particular mod and so I am going to use various types of metals for coils. I don't build Clapton's any longer as I have gotten away from sub-ohming…. I have turned into an avid MTL user who uses simple RTA builds.

Reactions: zoiDman

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US

I can use wattage only, TC, or whatever. I can setup TC to where you couldn't tell it wasn't in power mode. And I can setup wattage mode with VPC or equivalent to a TC vaper and they couldn't tell it wasn't TC. This stuff isn't hard to learn if you love to learn all of the ins and out. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread