Status
Not open for further replies.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Well, I could tell if I asked you to spell the alternative word for 'silicosis caused by volcanoes'

My fluffy purple dinosaur friend assures me that at no time did humans co-exist with him.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

google, your friend and mine.

Do I get a cookie?

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
How's the snus usage coming along, exo? Ever get the porton thing down. I'm about to order some loose snus due to an apparent difference in taste quality for the pre-portioned of the same kind. Somewhere around here OTD has a video posted of the "baking" method, the way to roll and pack a "pris", or a portion of the loose in a proper manner. I thought you might look into that as a means of getting the right custom sized portion without the teabag hassle. Hey, if a guy was good at it and liked naked snus, you can buy almost twice as much for the same cost as the portioned snus....just sayin'. I'm not sure I'll take to it, but what the heck :).

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Funny you should say that, just finished an order on the Northerner site,
getting some more Thunder Frosted 16mg/g portions & some minis and loose as well.

portion 22.6g = Kr 23.67 = £2.03
minis 10g = Kr 22.64 = £1.94
loose 45g = Kr 20.72 = £1.77

Getting one of each to compare.

Value!, so total £5.75 but after :
fedex delivery = £4.28
& tobacco tax = £2.09
& EU sales tax (25% !) = £3.03
total is £15.14 ( = $24.50)

Still value!, equivalent to at least 300 ciggies (which would cost around £80 here in UK),
and so much nicer/better/effective than cigs.

At say 5 g a day 80g should last half a month I guess.

Next time I'll get a couple of months worth, maybe of loose, depending on if I get fed up with teabag fiddling.

So anyway no contest on price for loose vs portion, & if loose is a better flavour then it's a win all round,
don't think I could take the un-bagged baccy in my mouth tho,
so probably will do the long thin tea-bag thing but using a whole bag per 0.5g portion - less sealing to do - they're cheap.

Not having satisfactory resuts with flavouring strong snus like Skruf Stark, except peppermint oil or menthol,
& it's a bit hit & miss, so not sure what I'll do with the other 8 or so cartons of portions I've got.
(eucalyptus ones are OK, loose mint US dip OK but a bit sickly, wintergreen - Yuk!, rest are 'natural')

I'll have a look for video,
the commercial 'Icetool' portioning devices (like a big syringe) are only around £2, damn should have got one.

Last edited:

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Not having satisfactory resuts with flavouring strong snus like Skruf Stark, except peppermint oil or menthol,
& it's a bit hit & miss, so not sure what I'll do with the other 8 or so cartons of portions I've got.
(eucalyptus ones are OK, loose mint US dip OK but a bit sickly, wintergreen - Yuk!, rest are 'natural')

I'll have a look for video,
the commercial 'Icetool' portioning devices (like a big syringe) are only around £2, damn should have got one.

So far I haven't seen anyone having too much luck with flavoring of any kind except Vaporer. If you like menthol, try getting some menthol crystals and put some in a can with a couple portions , then let set a couple days. The crystals are very potent and, according to Vaporer, the flavor sinks in pretty well. That may be the only salvation for the Skurf.
I've found US dip in general to be sickly.........eeewwww :p. S'pose in a dire need of a fix I might, but I'd have to be close death from lack of nic :p.
And I will be getting a portion tool....I need all the help I can get :rolleyes:.

Thanks for reposting that video OTD. Just makes using the loose seem that much more ...er..fun ...:(. Sure am looking forward to it.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
It's a lot cheaper, but, at least my trys were, a lot messier. OTOH, cheap as I am, I use the stuff in teabags now, not bad.

Although my fresh snus arrived today, and how shall I put it? The old one obviously had lost something ... taste, for example, leaving only salted tobacco. Then again, I have several flavours here I am going to try on it. No need to let perfectly good snus to waste, just because it tastes like ... uhm ... I don't think the forum rules allow for a correct description :D

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Gotta say it did seem like a huge wodge of baccy in the vid OTD,
must have been at leat 2 grams, do people use loose snus like that?

Alex, was wondering about the life expectancy of 'freshness' of portion
(or other) snus, even when kept at -4 celsius.

Seems to me certain flavours diminish quicker than others, mint keeps going, spearmint (thunder frosted) drops off significantly during a month,
wintergreen is a nasty as the first day and eucalyptus drops off somewhat.

Perhaps those individually foil-packaged snus are better than the plastic tubs for storage ?

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Uhm ... stored mine in the fridge in a not very tighly closed plastic bag for a few years. I must confess I did not check in between how the flavours developed, but let me tell you, snus does not age well 8-o

OTOH, nicotine still there, X-Factor still there, who cares about taste, that's what the PV is for. :D

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Good idea with the menthol crystals in the carton TV, will prob. try that,
btw where is Vaporer these days.

Vaporer can usually be found here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zer-coil-101-actual-working-methods-only.html . The other place he occasionally pops up is here:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...whats-under-your-lip-your-nose-right-now.html .
He's sorta homeless since the "Are we getting it" thread got locked :(. So far he doesn't appear to be living in a cardboard box or anything, but I hear he's been seen pushing a shopping cart around the forum quite a bit.

Last edited:

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Borders on blasphemy Alex!8-o

Vape, snus and snuff are pretty much the only pleasures left this old guy anymore.

They all need to taste and smell good!:D

Let snus lie in the fridge for about 5 years, cans loosely wraped in a plastic bag. Try it. Then let's talk again :p

Took me several hours of constantly spraying water over them, and in case of the loose one, mortar and pestle, to get it back to even vaguely consumeable.

BTW, what happend to that staple of old-age pleasures: Reading fairy tales to your grandchildren? :D

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Took me several hours of constantly spraying water over them, and in case of the loose one, mortar and pestle, to get it back to even vaguely consumeable.

Oh that mental image makes me cringe.....(stop it .. go away)

When the grandkiddles arrive, I hug em' all and then leave em' completely to gramma!

I'm a baaaad grampa..:oops:

So let's just ponder positives here OTD :). This could be considered a form of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread