Nicotine Extraction Process Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I would like to open this new thread, to those who had tried extraction of Nicotine but may had faced difficulties in doing it.

Some may had tried methods that are thought to be easy, for instance boil tobacco, sieve, add water boil again and let cool then precipitate nicotine crystal, which in my opinion is not educational. Some even waste their coffee filter machine etc.

Nicotine is a REMOVED nasty stuff, so lets discuss a nasty way and nasty chemicals, and gadgets to do it.

Warmest regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unless you are talking about taking tobacco and using methods to naturally extract the FLAVOR, well you are going to need a fair working knowledge of chemistry plus some rather expensive equipment.

My advice would be to buy nicotine if that's what you are after. If you are after NET (naturally extracted tobacco flavoring the are many vendors of either pre-made eliquids, or flaovings that are NET I believe.

If you find nicotine so "nasty" (nic and I have been pals for many decades, I'm telling my pal to play nice with you) why on earth try to extract it yourself.

Nicotine in very very strong concentrations can be "nasty' in the sense of "unsafe" which is what I think you are referring to here, but most vapers don't go anywhere near those types of concentrations in their home mixing area or whatnot, and really, you DON'T want to and it's not necessary.

Also, I think there are several successful threads of folks making NET at home, with and without coffee filters and they are having good success, but with the FLAVOR not the nicotine itself. NET liquid has very very little actual nicotine in it. Etc.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
My contribution is simple. Why bother?

Seems like it would be a real chore and be extremely messy and smelly. Nicotine can easily be purchased already in liquid form, so again, why bother? Honest question.

Welcome to the forum. I completely agree with Bad, nic is easily obtained. Why would I want the add a complex process to the diy juice mix?

Nicotine is too cheap to bother trying to extract it. And boiling it would likely degrade it heavily

Yep it is relatively cheap and readily available....for now. Personally I don't WANT to ever have to do it, but it would be nice to know (and have documented) just in case buying nic liquid becomes impossible. Sure those of us with the funds and storage space can stock up (I have many years worth already), but what about newcomers or those that lack enough upfront funds or storage to stock up a lifetime supply?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
'Home' extraction of nicotine from tobacco also results concentrating other compounds commonly found in raw tobaccos, some you wouldn't want to/shouldn't vape.
It takes further refining / polishing to end up with a safe useable product.
For that you'd have to have the knowledge & equipment to identify & remove undesirables.

Seems easier & substantially less risky to buy quality nicotine.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
...but it would be nice to know (and have documented) just in case buying nic liquid becomes impossible... but what about newcomers or those that lack enough upfront funds or storage to stock up a lifetime supply?
Erhm... Personally, I don't mind circumventing unneccessary regulations at all, or helping others do it... but teaching newbies how to extract a powerful contact poison in a multi-stage destillation process? I don't see that happening.

Even if it were easy to do, which it is not, some percentage of those newbies would certainly land themselves in the ER by poisoning themselves, and I wouldn't want to be a part of that. At least not by accident :smokie:

• Winner
Reactions: Vape Magoo

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
I've heard nicotine in e juice in Australia is not legal. I wonder where people get it from? I would like to stock up on nicotine just in case, but I'm not sure where I'll be so it doesn't make sense. I can't imagine they would actually make it illegal in the U.S. If they did decide to tax it like crazy, even a 500% tax would probably cost me less than $100 a year. The patch is a lot more expensive than that. The scary thing about this deeming threat is that if not done with integrity it will end up making vaping a bigger risk instead of the current path of becoming even safer with new innovation.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I've heard nicotine in e juice in Australia is not legal. I wonder where people get it from? I would like to stock up on nicotine just in case, but I'm not sure where I'll be so it doesn't make sense. I can't imagine they would actually make it illegal in the U.S. If they did decide to tax it like crazy, even a 500% tax would probably cost me less than $100 a year. The patch is a lot more expensive than that. The scary thing about this deeming threat is that if not done with integrity it will end up making vaping a bigger risk instead of the current path of becoming even safer with new innovation.
We import it

It is not a federal ban. So customs let it through.

It is illegal in every state and territory individually, but customs dont act on state law

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I wonder where people get it from?
As long there is demand, there is supply. I too buy liter bottles of nic base from "under the counter", despite TPD2.
And if everything else breaks down, the chinese will still have your back and help you circumvent customs.

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
We import it

It is not a federal ban. So customs let it through.

It is illegal in every state and territory individually, but customs dont act on state law

So is it illegal to possess, or does it only become illegal when you put it into the juice?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
What you describe is creating NET. It does not so easily turn into nicotine crystals as you describe.
It's probably not out of the realm of trailer park chemists but it does take some knowledge of chemistry.
The return on extracting nicotine in a lab setting is not that great so in a non-lab setting it would require a lot of tobacco.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Erhm... Personally, I don't mind circumventing unneccessary regulations at all, or helping others do it... but teaching newbies how to extract a powerful contact poison in a multi-stage destillation process? I don't see that happening.

Even if it were easy to do, which it is not, some percentage of those newbies would certainly land themselves in the ER by poisoning themselves, and I wouldn't want to be a part of that. At least not by accident :smokie:
Out of curiosity, what makes a new vaper any less qualified to extract nic than us veterans? Seems like we have no idea how to do it either.

I like nicotine. Why you being so unkind?

Yeah, it was nasty stuff, and this stuff made us addicted to it. To get the best yield, usage of nasty chemicals such as H2SO4, NH4OH and much more. Gadgets that put the leaves under supercritical condition, hitting 3k psi are also crazy “gadget”.

Theres no easy way to get ur “liked” stuff the easy way. Hehehe

Unless you are talking about taking tobacco and using methods to naturally extract the FLAVOR, well you are going to need a fair working knowledge of chemistry plus some rather expensive equipment.

My advice would be to buy nicotine if that's what you are after. If you are after NET (naturally extracted tobacco flavoring the are many vendors of either pre-made eliquids, or flaovings that are NET I believe.

If you find nicotine so "nasty" (nic and I have been pals for many decades, I'm telling my pal to play nice with you) why on earth try to extract it yourself.

Nicotine in very very strong concentrations can be "nasty' in the sense of "unsafe" which is what I think you are referring to here, but most vapers don't go anywhere near those types of concentrations in their home mixing area or whatnot, and really, you DON'T want to and it's not necessary.

Also, I think there are several successful threads of folks making NET at home, with and without coffee filters and they are having good success, but with the FLAVOR not the nicotine itself. NET liquid has very very little actual nicotine in it. Etc.

Anna
We extract due to our government’s regulation. Its easy to buy it from china at 180usd a kg, a few years back.

We loss like tons of money, that was when our nicotine being confiscated by the customs.

In order to continuously supply ejuice brewing ingredients, we have to make our own nicotine. Moreover indonesia had lots of tobacco plantations, its really fine to extract on our own.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread