Nicotine Extraction Process Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yeah, it was nasty stuff, and this stuff made us addicted to it. To get the best yield, usage of nasty chemicals such as H2SO4, NH4OH and much more. Gadgets that put the leaves under supercritical condition, hitting 3k psi are also crazy “gadget”.

Theres no easy way to get ur “liked” stuff the easy way. Hehehe

I've never been addicted to nicotine. I quit smoking by vaping 11mg. After 6 months I increased it to 18mg for medical reasons and I was over nic'ed. I stayed there for 3 years. When my diagnosis changed along with my medications I dropped to 9mg, then to 4mg in a couple weeks, no problem. I stayed at 4mg until my nicotine liquids were gone, then I went to 0mg for a while, again no problem. I went back to 6mg for flavor.
When I had cervical fusion and the surgeon told me no nicotine I went to a day before surgery at 6mg, then instantly went to 0mg for the 3 months, again no problem.

At least for me it wasn't the nicotine. It was likely the MAOIs in cigarette smoke that created any addiction and the medical need for nicotine that caused me to be physically sick when I quit.

Last edited:

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Out of curiosity, what makes a new vaper any less qualified to extract nic than us veterans? Seems like we have no idea how to do it either.
Context below.
..but it would be nice to know (and have documented) just in case buying nic liquid becomes impossible. Sure those of us with the funds and storage space can stock up (I have many years worth already), but what about newcomers or those that lack enough upfront funds or storage to stock up a lifetime supply?

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yeah, it was nasty stuff, and this stuff made us addicted to it. To get the best yield, usage of nasty chemicals such as H2SO4, NH4OH and much more. Gadgets that put the leaves under supercritical condition, hitting 3k psi are also crazy “gadget”.

The NH4OH (ammonia) is no big deal, but the H2SO4 (Sulfuric acid) is some highly caustic stuff. It can literally melt flesh off the bone and rubber off the soles of shoes. If that is required to "properly" extract nic from tobacco, then yeah, that is NOT going to be feasible for....really anyone as a DIY process. There has to be a safer method, even if less efficient.

• Agree
For a start. Make sure the following are available in your country and can be purchased in small quantities.

Materials.
Green tobacco leaves
NAOH - Sodium Hydroxide
NH4OH - Ammonium Hydroxide
C6H14 - Petroleum Ether or
C4H10O - Diethyl Ether
H2SO4 - H2SO4
Distilled water

Apparatus.
100ml, 1000ml beaker
Vacuum Flask 250ml, Buchner Funnel
(Prefered a Vacuum Filter)
Filter paper/ glass wool filter
Stirring rod (glass)
Separating Funnel
Evaporating bowl, Dish
Glass pippettes
Thermometer
Electric stove/ food heater
Additional Erlenmeyer Flask

Advance Apparatus (the best)
Soxhlet Extraction sets
Distiller set (prefer spiral condensor)
Rotation Evaporator

Note:
I will be mentioning only steps and less replying to unrelated comments.

Q are welcomed.

Beat Regards.

The NH4OH (ammonia) is no big deal, but the H2SO4 (Sulfuric acid) is some highly caustic stuff. It can literally melt flesh off the bone and rubber off the soles of shoes. If that is required to "properly" extract nic from tobacco, then yeah, that is NOT going to be feasible for....really anyone as a DIY process. There has to be a safer method, even if less efficient.

Yeah m8. We will do it a safe way. By not pouring on ur hands.

And the process will be slow but sure. Its important to use it to remove the extract from the solvent, coz were not gonna vape any p. Ether.

:)

• Optimistic

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole

I dont feel like vaping nicotine is as addictive as smoking tobacco.
I go a couple of days with out vaping nicotine juice without feeling much about it, a bit flat maybe. I do it about once a fortnight to reset my tolerance to nicotine. It means I can get the same "charge" out of 4-5mg as I would out of 12+mg using the same ml's
Smoking tobacco was another story all together, 2hrs was about how long I could go before the cravings started to become a conflict.
Ive said it before but I remain a bit gobsmacked just how easy it is for me to be without nicotine without any major drama. I do like using nicotine though ;)

The customs are making imports more difficult. Even bottles are being confiscated.

We have to smuggle nicotine from malaysia, labelled as PG or Flavorings, but with an escelated sum of money and the risk of losing both our money and merchandise.

Back to Nicotine preparation, first off all, weight the green tobacco leaves, and record. Then air dried the green tobacco leaves, but not directly to sunlight. Until water loss of 40% - 50% by weight.

Why start from green leaf? I believe, this is the key to a successful extract. Tobacco as in cigarettes in our countries are processed and the nicotine removed, before it was conmercialy process to made as a cigarettes.

It left us just 1mg - 1.5mg in each stick of cigarette. Imagine how much tobacco drom cigarette you need here, like 40 packa of 20s to get a 1 gram of nicotine. Theres the amiunt we loss in the filtering process, purification process. Thats why we dont have good experiments from any where else.

Get a good tobacco leaves and let me know.

*** Next process will be, shredding of the leaves and conditioning of the leaves before extraction. ***

Best regards

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well I can understand the motivation to do it in your situation. If I were at a loss for nicotine I might examine the idea myself, although I just don't think I'd be able to bring myself to do it, and please be VERY PRECISE in your verbiage in case someone comes along and wants to "repeat' your process because it isn't easy and it's pretty complicated.

With all that said, uh good luck.

Anna

Reactions: Jebbn

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nicotine extraction process....

1365478689breaking-bad-in-the-laboratory.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Myk

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I may be confused, I thought the OP is talking about actual nicotine extraction from raw tobacco.
To be used when & where nicotine in a suitable grade for inhalation isn’t available.
To extract nicotine & end up with a purity suitable for inhalation is not at all easy without serious risk or anywhere near the same as NET.

Naturally Extracted Tobacco is a process to make flavorings not extract nicotine.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Wouldn't you need chemicals and equipment that would be hard to explain your need for? If they are banning liquid nicotine, they know how it is extracted and probably trying to make sure that doesn't happen. Without proper equipment and expertise your are embarking on a high risk venture both legally and safety wise. I would thing smuggling would be easier and safer.

Just curious as I don't know but a lot of Chinese companies ship vape equipment with batteries in them Singapore post office. How does that work and how hypocritical of the Singapore government.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I may be confused, I thought the OP is talking about actual nicotine extraction from raw tobacco.
To be used when & where nicotine in a suitable grade for inhalation isn’t available.
To extract nicotine & end up with a purity suitable for inhalation is not at all easy without serious risk or anywhere near the same as NET.

Naturally Extracted Tobacco is a process to make flavorings not extract nicotine.

The OP describes more a NET process that some people do with the hopes of getting a perceptible amount of nicotine.
Later came actual extraction which involves binding chemicals, removing chemicals, converting chemicals in a process of purifying. Don't right it can be safe.
Now that the whole story has been told (or more of it) I understand the OP wasn't the how to but the how not to.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL @Baditude :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That ended so badly. LOL.

I mean, by then, it HAD to end badly but you kind of knew it going in when Walter white was standing there in his tighty whities.

Unredeemable in any way, that dude.

Yeah, posting a how to on "home grown" tobacco and turning it into nic select or whatever is just not going to end well, I don't think.

And the OP is not even a High School Chemistry teacher, I don't think.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@stols001 Walter White = the ultimate character you LOVE to HATE. :)

There were times when I actually felt sorry for the dude. I mean, he believed he was making money first to pay for his cancer treatments, and then for the financial security of his family once he died. But things had a habit of perpetually going wrong. End the end, his motivation became arrogant and evil and bad karma caught up with him. Great series!

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I just rewatched it recently, it's kind of interesting when you know what is going to happen, going in.

I actually thought Dexter was a more likable character from the FIRST EPISODE. LOL. My favorite dude on BB has always been, like, Jessie. He can come over any time he wants and be my little friend with benefits, the husband will just have to deal with it. He got such a raw deal from just, start to finish. But that's why I like him, and when the kid on the motorcycle got shot, you could just Watch that poor kid crumble.

I think WW was kinda a Walter Mitty figure, but yeah, his imaginings got a little dark. Srsly though, apart from the guy's teenage kid like every person in that show was unlikable in some fashion except maybe Gus, but the way he died just made you feel awful. Etc.

I will (unapologetically) discuss Breaking Bad for 20 minutes on this thread, if it means we don't get a "how to" on nicotine. extraction in someone's basement.

I'm hijacking away to see if the thread gets closed but nothing has happened oh well let's see when I hit

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread