nJoy in Walgreens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennydotz

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
West Virginia, USA
Cigarettes fall under the jurisdiction of an agency we used to call Alcohol, tobacco and Firearms (ATF). Big tobacco gets its way there. A bill in Congress (likely to pass) will remove tobacco products from ATF and hand control over to the FDA.

For real? Is this really happening, or a hypothetical "could happen"? So currently cigs are regulated only as a commodity? by the ATF, but the ingredients aren't regulated are they?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Correct on all points. The FDA involvement would come only when and if Congress passes special legislation to give it such authority. The FDA got its wrists slapped by the Supreme Court the last time it tried to regulate tobacco. The Court said, basically, that an act of Congress would be needed to give the FDA that power.

So naturally an act of Congress was prepared. It's expected to come up for vote this spring. And the FDA needs a vast expansion of people, so that could become a part of a larger bill giving even more power to that agency. Right now, food regulation is a mish-mash involving FDA and USDA. Ain't nobody happy with that -- and mistakes are deadly.

It's appears the FDA will soon sweep the gambling table, taking winnings from USDA and ATF.

jennydotz

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
West Virginia, USA
The FDA and cigarettes? This should be quite a show! So if there is a bill drafted that's likely to be voted on soon, why is this not more widely known? Or does everyone else know this and I missed the boat? Wouldn't be the first time. But really, that's HUGE.

Hmmm They protected us from the evils of red M&Ms throughout the 80s. And didn't they ban some artificial sweetener way back and it's now available under another name? Tax dollars well spent.(?)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Not much new would come to market, Jenny, if the FDA had to approve everything FIRST. So the way it works is that a manufacturer can introduce a new product with the implication that it is known to be safe in proper use. That's how we got artificial sweeteners. Some were first marketed without approval. But at some point, the FDA said "whoa", let's look at these. Then the makers of the sweeteners had to test and provide proof of safety.

The people selling e-devices have done so with the implication that these do not need approval and are safe. We all think they are safe, don't we? We use them all day! So these will continue to be made and sold unless or until the FDA says "whoa", these need official approval.

That first step can be seen in emails to sellers, where the FDA says the nicotine used in e-liquid is a "new drug" that requires FDA approval. Of course it's just nicotine, the same stuff a smoker gets as well as users of Big Pharma's NRT products. But in the form we use it -- a liquid that is vaporized -- the FDA says it's a new drug and our devices are drug delivery devices.

In the meantime, we're free to buy and use our beloved stuff. The FDA could step in tomorrow, next year or never.

If it does, it will likely do so because someone politically important takes a position opposing e-smoking. That person could be a congressman, a health agency leader, a rep of Big Pharma or Big Tobacco. Their voices are all heard - and they get action on complaints and requests. We do best to keep our mouths shut and never, ever hurl insults at people with power.

And so we wait.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
As I age I get less and less tolerant of governments that want to look out what they have decided are my best interests. This covers all issues of personal safety from selt belts to drugs and alcohol and now esmoking.

In my entire life I have never agreed, implicitly or explicitly, to have a group of people decide what I can or cannot ingest. It really is infuriating.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic. It's just really been bothering more and more as I age.

redrose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2009
CT
Ron Paul just said on Larry King Live "there are lots of things that are dangerous, but who should regulate danger, the gov or the individual? The government should not be regulating this." He was speaking of legalizing marijuana. He went on to say that it is the same for tobacco and alcohol. That how people use these things is a behavior issue, and not something that government should be involved in. I think e-cigs would fit well in this discussion.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
There will no need for government involvement if Big Tobacco quietly says to all tobacco shop owners, "You can either sell our Marlboros and Newports or you can sell e-cigs. But not both."
That would have to be an extremely soft whisper, since it would be a serious antitrust violation that could result in an enormous civil damage award to any businesses and individuals disadvantaged by that illegal restraint of trade, as well as a rather unpleasant legal rectal exam by the Justice Dept's antitrust people.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Ron Paul just said on Larry King Live "there are lots of things that are dangerous, but who should regulate danger, the gov or the individual? The government should not be regulating this." He was speaking of legalizing marijuana. He went on to say that it is the same for tobacco and alcohol. That how people use these things is a behavior issue, and not something that government should be involved in. I think e-cigs would fit well in this discussion.

I LOVE RON PAUL. Agreed! What's next? No skydiving? What? The government now can say you can't jump out of a plane with proper gear? When they line us up for a computer chip in our fingers... I will find the first train to Clarksville and hide in a barn. Holy hell.

redrose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2009
CT
I's probably a good time to contact your congressman about e-cigs. This discussion is going on in House right now. They are going to legalize marijuana, Obama feels the war on drugs has been one of the biggest disasters of all time. People will have the right to self medicate with pot. Same should be true with nicotine. I've said before that big tobacco, not pharma, is gonna be the one to watch here. They have to spin their leaves into gold, and liquid nicotine is their Rumpelstiltskin.

Last edited:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I's probably a good time to contact your congressman about e-cigs. This discussion is going on in House right now. They are going to legalize marijuana, Obama feels the war on drugs has been one of the biggest disasters of all time. People will have the right to self medicate with pot. Same should be true with nicotine. I've said before that big tobacco, not pharma, is gonna be the one to watch here. They have to spin their leaves into gold, and liquid nicotine is their Rumpelstiltskin.

Done. Emailed him. Will give him a few days and then will hunt down the cell phone number.

Also... Do you have a link to the marijuana stuff you were talking about? because if that is true, that is fabulous. Just fabulous. I would love to write a blog post about that! Here is what I came up with... http://www.reason.com/blog/show/124727.html

redrose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2009
CT
Here is the link to the transcript, the ron Paul part is at the end
CNN.com - Transcripts
In the show, they played a clip of Obama's statements. To add to that, his first choice for Surgeon General was was Sanjay Gupta, who sees e-cigs as a better alternative to analogs.
FDA hazy on e-cigarettes' safety - CNN.com
His choice for Sec'y of Commerce, Bill Richardson, is an outspoken advocate of decriminalization.
HTH

That was funny, but maybe true. Buy them here but don't use them here.

All for public vaping, but I have to he honest, there are A LOT of things you can buy at walgreens that I strongly prefer you don't use AT walgreens... various ointments, suppositories, devices, profylactics... yes, please enjoy your purchases of these items AT HOME!!

(This is in jest, okay?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread