Status
Not open for further replies.

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Did anyone happen to see the Dr. Phil show on Wed.? I'm not even sure what the topic of the show was... but one story was a teacher with a teenage son that smokes "Salvia" that is supposedly 'legal' in 48 states... and is similar to ...!?!?!? The teenage son has 'flunked' the 9th grade for 3 years because he is 'hooked' on Salvia... experiences hallucinations etc. AND to top it off the MOTHER uses it... and goes to the tobacco store to buy it both for herself AND her son! WTH?

How can the FDA be wasting time trying to stop what we are doing while something like this is going on... legally?? I've never even heard of smoking Salvia... sometimes I think I live in a closet! 8-o

Skad

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Did anyone happen to see the Dr. Phil show on Wed.? I'm not even sure what the topic of the show was... but one story was a teacher with a teenage son that smokes "Salvia" that is supposedly 'legal' in 48 states... and is similar to ...!?!?!? The teenage son has 'flunked' the 9th grade for 3 years because he is 'hooked' on Salvia... experiences hallucinations etc. AND to top it off the MOTHER uses it... and goes to the tobacco store to buy it both for herself AND her son! WTH?

How can the FDA be wasting time trying to stop what we are doing while something like this is going on... legally?? I've never even heard of smoking Salvia... sometimes I think I live in a closet! 8-o

Don't be taken in too much by the current yellow journalism against salvia. Yes, it's a hallucinogen, but it's hardly on the same scale as .... It's legal because no one has gotten around to writing laws for it yet, but it's coming. The mother who blames it for her son flunking 9th grade 3 times needs a reality check.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
well not exactly policy:oops:,but they have considered marketing and selling ecigs illegal unless they have a specific authorisation which i believe nobody has.:-x

Well. That isn't entirely correct. What they have stated in a round about way is that they are doing this on a case by case basis and those who fall into their jurisdiction will be treated as a "new drug". What they are doing is swiping the table of everyone and seeing who has the balls/cash/lawyer to stand back up and say "Um... I don't make any claims and show me where in the law you have jurisdiction over nicotine!"

Savantster

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Fond du Lac, WI
Plenty of idiots with their fake coughs....one of many attempts to quit analogs I would carry a unlit cig and pop in my mouth as I walked out of Walmart one day, popped the cig in my mouth unlit of course and had to listen to the fake cough. Wonder if its the same idiot who commented on the article at the site, complaining the vapor still smelled like smoke and left a smokey odor.

If it tastes like tobacco and has tobacco oils in it, some people will still be able to smell it. Gasses have odor even when invisible. Some people have more sensitive noses, and it's entirely plausible that someone "can smell it" if they are in close enough proximity. It can also "linger" and "get into things", just like any gas (if you doubt that, come smell my living room after my dog farts!)

Some people are sensitive to all kinds of chemicals, and it's also completely plausible that "someone" might have an issue (in a real reaction kind of way) with the left over vapor from an e-cig.

That said, since there are no toxins or poisons, those people can ".... and deal" in a matter of law kind of way, we don't pass laws to protect the 1 in 100,000 crowed.

Savantster

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Fond du Lac, WI
Am I the only one concerned that the FDA is turning away "cheaper and better alternatives" at customs, and it seems NJoy is the only brand for sale in America at the moment?

Seems the FDA really IS trying to help domestic companies by using faux positions to block otherwise legally permissible products into the country.

annoying.

Savantster

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Fond du Lac, WI
"Since we are not aware of any data establishing that such products are generally recognized among scientific experts as safe and effective for these "drug" uses, they are "new drugs," as defined by section 201(p) of the Act (21 U.S.C. § 321(p)) requiring approval of an application filed in accordance with section 505 of the Act (21 U.S.C. § 355) to be legally marketed in the United States. "

that is a lie, the research is out there, and this is not a "new drug". This is a LIE.. and, if the FDA isn't pulling NJoy, then this is, in fact, a scam being perpetrated on the Public by the Government to help a specific company reap profits.

Sure would be nice if Ruyan would file a lawsuit, and it would be nice if all the over seas suppliers were using UNMARKED BOXES with GENERIC RETURN ADDRESSES so we could continue to get these products brought in.

Also, how does the FDA have jurisdiction over products that are NOT regulated from being received for PERSONAL USE? .. seems they are overstepping their bounds, there. I can see if they want to stop supplies going to suppliers because you have to "market your product" to sell it, but individuals are NOT marketing or selling or distributing.. they are using, and use/ownership/possession is not illegal.

very annoying.

Savantster

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Fond du Lac, WI
"Our beloved e-cigs are, at their core, unregulated and untested drug delivery devices. No one would approve those. They could be quickly and easily banned, without any need for new law."

You know that simply is not true. And you know that GRAS comes in to play given the chemicals involved (with PG/Nic as the only mains, sub chems would need to be tested I'd guess). The FDA is lying because they don't want to use studies from other countries, because they have an agenda (or so it seems since NJoy is out there selling up a storm).

Savantster

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Fond du Lac, WI
"And the clinical trial? That's only Ruyan. No other manufacturer can benefit from those trial results. You see any other manufacturers funding clinical trials? Nope."

GRAS.. Generally Regarded As Safe. If one batch/mix is proved safe, then all those batches are proved safe. Ruyan's study _should_ be allowed to be considered a base line study that proves safety, as long as the FDA says that the studies were sound.

Savantster

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Fond du Lac, WI
As I age I get less and less tolerant of governments that want to look out what they have decided are my best interests. This covers all issues of personal safety from selt belts to drugs and alcohol and now esmoking.

In my entire life I have never agreed, implicitly or explicitly, to have a group of people decide what I can or cannot ingest. It really is infuriating.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic. It's just really been bothering more and more as I age.

Sure you have, you live here. If you don't like having the government make rules over you, move. If you want to function in the Democracy and have your voice heard, vote or run for office.

The other thing that helps support the notion that you implicitly give your approval is that you use the Infrastructure that gets you to work, brings your food to you, keeps the police moving around your neighborhood protecting you.... the list goes on and one.

No one is making you stay a citizen of the country you live in, not if you're posting on the internet (by the way, something government helped fund back when it was starting, and you're using that now, too).

Khandurian

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Cocoa Beach Florida Baby!
That would have to be an extremely soft whisper, since it would be a serious antitrust violation that could result in an enormous civil damage award to any businesses and individuals disadvantaged by that illegal restraint of trade, as well as a rather unpleasant legal rectal exam by the Justice Dept's antitrust people.

Gee, this sounds like another company here in the US that did this, and got away with it for YEARS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread