No more vaping around my son

Status
Not open for further replies.

geofxc

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2012
Michigan
I can see your reasoning. My thought though is that at my sons young age he is impressionable and I don't necessarily want him to think that smoking/vaping is normal and OK. His grandparents on his mothers side smoke around him, which annoys me to no end. I'm not exactly hiding the truth from him, but setting a precedent that vaping isn't "good." Many vendors state on their sites that their products are intended only for smokers, and the underlying thought is that a non-smoker shouldn't start vaping. While vaping is better than smoking, not vaping or smoking is the best.

When he is older, a conversation about daddy's habit is most certainly in order.

I can't necessarily agree with this and I'll show you why.

All four of my grandparents smoked like chimneys, they came from a time when it was the norm rather than the exception. I remember plenty of trips in cars with rolled up windows and a thick, blue haze inside. Out of their 5 combined children only one son picked up the smoking habit, and he was the black sheep of the family. Put together the 5 grandchildren, of which I am one, and I was the only dedicated smoker. My brother picked up the habit for about 5 years while working as a lead guitarist for a local band but then quit. I didn't start smoking because of my grandparents, in fact after spending years in those smoke filled cars I hated smoke as a child and pre-teen. I picked up the habit because I hung with the "hoods", the black sheep. Out of all my friends who smoked, very few of their parents did. There were a couple, but those particular parents tended to be the hard living variety, the ones that were probably considered black sheep in their own day.

I don't doubt that there are plenty of people that started smoking because their parents did it. I do however believe that there are several different external factors that end up in play, and one of the biggest is the person or persons with the most influence at the single point in time that a child decides whether or not they're going to smoke. I also believe that hiding anything from a child is like putting wrapped Christmas gifts in your closet while they're not looking. Somehow they figure it out, and when they do they're going to start poking at it while your not looking. For example, polls have shown that almost every single child of gun owners who hide their guns from their children know exactly where both the guns and ammo are hidden and exactly what tricks it takes to access them.

I'm certainly not saying that anyone is wrong in the way they are going about it, but I do think the key to smoke proofing a child is to be open about the addiction as soon as that child is old enough to understand. I explained to mine from pretty early on the concept of addiction in an age appropriate way, and continued those conversations into their mid to late teens. They're now in their early twenties/late teens and whether it be from what I said, sheer luck, or the Grace of God, I've got two wonderful young men that have never touched a cigarette, let alone any other possible addiction... well, besides video games that is. ;)

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
Honestly I'm somewhat disappointed in myself for taking so long to come to this decision. I'm no longer going to vape in the same room with my (almost) 3 year old son.

I guess I got caught up in the "its harmless" mentality, but I no longer want to flaunt my habit so openly in front of his impressionable little eyes. I am immensely proud of myself for quitting analogues, a decision made largely for his good. But I still have an addiction, and it is one of my most fervent prayers that it is a habit that I do not pass on to him.

After reading some of the studies posted around this forum, I am do not believe that second-hand vape is a serious concern. I do not think that vaping in the car or living room with him is detrimental to his health. But if he follows my example and and acquires a nicotine habit of his own, that will be a heavy burden on me-even if he is using e-cigs.

So I am trying to enter a new stage of stealth vaping in my own home. My plan is to leave my PV in the bedroom and make little "pit stops" throughout the day. I've upped the nic percent so one or two hits gives me a nice buzz. It's kind of ironic that I went from a cig break schedule to a vape anywhere schedule, back to a vape break schedule. But I guess thats the liberating beauty of e-cigs. You really can tailor your habit to your needs, instead of vice versa.

My GD grew up around smokers & it had the effect of turning her 'off' to the habit. While on the other hand, hiding (sneaking)it can stir up what is called 'the forbidden fruit syndrome' which causes the desire for that which is 'forbidden'(Concupiscence). Your thinking sounds good on paper, but it could have the opposite effect. Youngsters will pick up on hiding something 'real' fast. Then we teach them not to sneak or deceive, they get confused. Kinda like when one lies to them about santa claus & then tell them not to lie. Just, IMHO.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Look at the bright side - at least you don't have to go outside. :)

I used to go outside - even if it was raining or snowing. Then I'd come in and wash my hands and chew gum or get a breath mint (I honestly thought this would get rid of the smell - now that my sense of smell has returned I'm sure it didn't). Everyone would always wonder where Daddy disappeared to. The worst was enjoying a smoke outside and hearing people call my name - I'd put it out, run in, and of course it was always something trivial or stupid.

Vaping has made things SO much easier. I typically carry a PV in my pocket and just wander into another room, take a couple vapes, and walk back. No smell. No going outside. No more cleaning up butts off the grass. It's a beautiful thing.

geofxc

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2012
Michigan
Sounds a lot like my smoking routine! Yeah, breath mints surely never did the job.

I used to go outside - even if it was raining or snowing. Then I'd come in and wash my hands and chew gum or get a breath mint (I honestly thought this would get rid of the smell - now that my sense of smell has returned I'm sure it didn't). Everyone would always wonder where Daddy disappeared to. The worst was enjoying a smoke outside and hearing people call my name - I'd put it out, run in, and of course it was always something trivial or stupid.

Vaping has made things SO much easier. I typically carry a PV in my pocket and just wander into another room, take a couple vapes, and walk back. No smell. No going outside. No more cleaning up butts off the grass. It's a beautiful thing.

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Good decision. When I was ten and again at 16 my stepfather and mother took me to Colorado, from South Texas, for vacation. Both heavy smokers, Kent for my mother and Camel non-filters for my stepfather. Never cracked a window ever. I got car sick a lot...I think it was nicotine poisoning. I never had a chance as far as smoking goes.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Good point Tiffany. I am a light drinker, I buy a couple six packs a month. I don't mind drinking around the little man, because I feel like alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation. I understand that alcohol has its addictive properties, buts its easier to enjoy in moderation than nicotine. Prior to all of the wonderful flavors of vaping, I used nicotine more for relief from cravings than enjoyment.

And I don't even want to think about all the foul words my son has overheard... I suppose no parent is perfect though right?

You sound like a great parent to me.

Of course we want to see a pic!

geofxc

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2012
Michigan
lol Here's me and the little guy

296994_10151009544041440_1059086586_n.jpg

You sound like a great parent to me.

Of course we want to see a pic!

Tanti

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Nebraska
hmmm
i'm on the other side, i vape around my son, but have explained to him what it is.
I think that if you hide it they tend to think that you are doing something illegal...
then again i don't let him know that there are great flavors and spend all of my free time fiddling with my PV...
that might bring unwanted attention to vaping with a young mind that idolizes you.
On the extreme side,
do you drink booze around your kid? Swear? Eat unhealthy?
Yes i know these things are indifferent catagories, but just a though

I totally get what you are saying and tend to agree. I dont have children at home anymore. I did smoke around them and they made the choice that tobacco was nasty and hated it. I never hid anything from my kids, that is the pandoras box you dont want them to try. They are more courious about something they dont understand than if you teach them about it. I always taught my girls that tobacco was very nasty and I was addicted to it, making it very very hard to quit, they saw me try to quit, and realized how hard it was.

If they were living at home I would teach them about vaping and how its helped me. They saw me use patches,gum,lozenges,and drugs to get off. They saw me go threw the stuggle and failure. I kept them in the loop the whole time of what I was going threw. I sat them down the same way with alcohol and taking them to the shooting range when they were old enought. We had the talk about the dangers of drugs. I dont believe in making anything a pandoras box. I wish someone had sat down and talked to me about things to keep me from seeing things a mystery and want to find out about them. I wouldnt have gone threw all the stuff I went threw as a teen and young adult. I was around smokers all my life, but they didnt get me started, I got started because of friends in school and it was the cool thing to do. And nobody told me any different.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I educated my 8 year old about it. She knew smoking was really bad for me and she knows vaping is safer but still bad. She still wants me to quit but knows it's hard because it's addictive.

I've always felt that giving her as much information as possible and not trying to make her choices for her was there best route. I doubt she will ever pick up this habit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Chiku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
When I was a kid my parents sent me away to camp for a week when their friends wedding was at our house. I found out from the friends kid that there was a lot of smoking that green stuff that can't be named at the wedding. That is definiatley not why I tried that stuff, but it did make me more curious about it. I don't know what my reaction would of been as a teen to talk to my parents about that green stuff. My boys are 13 and 15 and I am honest about smoking and other things I have done, I am hoping that they can learn from my mistakes. I could be wrong, but I hope it helps them make better choices.

They always knew that I smoked and hated it, and they are old enough that I can talk to them about it and vaping. They are my biggest cheerleaders right now, Congradulations everyday etc. They seem to understand that it is a horrible habit to start, in large part because it is so hard to quit.

3McG3

Jan 19, 2013
Ohio, USA
I was a smoker for 25 years, and started vaping a month ago because of my daughter. She is almost 2-1/2 years old, and I do hide my vaping habit from her. I feel that she is too young to understand, and I don't want her to think that what I am doing is normal, or OK. I'm sure she cannot distinguish between vaping, smoking, or smoking illegal substances. If I am still vaping when she is old enough to understand, then I plan to share with her what I am doing, and why I am doing it. My goal with vaping is to wean myself off of nicotine, which is why I am DIYing my juices. I vape 10mg right now, and plan to decrease that amount by 1mg every six months or so until I am at 0mg.

I am proud of switching to vaping, as it is obvioulsly far better than smoking - but the fact is, it is still an unhealthy addiction to nicotine for me. In that sense, I am not proud of vaping. Until my daughter is old enough to understand these ideas, I don't want her exposed to it.

ShayBabe15

Moved On
Jan 29, 2013
No worries:) I completely understand. I didn't mean to sound pressed on the issue or anything and I could see where you were coming from.:)
BTW with my comment, just so ya all know i wasn't trying to say, "I'll bet you do bad things around your kids, why do you not vape?"
personal choices, thoughts and ideas make us unique and help others make decisions :)

AaronM

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2013
East Liverpool, Ohio
My GD grew up around smokers & it had the effect of turning her 'off' to the habit. While on the other hand, hiding (sneaking)it can stir up what is called 'the forbidden fruit syndrome' which causes the desire for that which is 'forbidden'(Concupiscence). Your thinking sounds good on paper, but it could have the opposite effect. Youngsters will pick up on hiding something 'real' fast. Then we teach them not to sneak or deceive, they get confused. Kinda like when one lies to them about santa claus & then tell them not to lie. Just, IMHO.

I agree with this completely. Children are a very curious bunch and to think that they are not human and in many ways just like adults in the way they learn can cause many unintended, and unforeseen consequences. They learn through understanding, explanation and experience like everyone else does.

I try to keep my vaping away from my children, but they are 3 and all most 5 years old, and very mobile. If they walk into the room and ask me about what I am doing I tell them I am using my electronic cigarette and that I am "bad" for doing it. If they have any questions about what I am doing I answer them in ways they can understand. When I was smoking I didn't tell them it causes cancer, I told them it gives you very bad "boo boos". However the smoking i only did around them in open air outside the house.

I do agree that things can be kept away from children but they can not always be hidden from them. The old saying curiosity killed that cat is more true for children then it is cats. If things are hidden from them they will seek the information on their own. All we can do is give them all of the tools and information we can and in the end hope they make the right decisions for themselves. As much as we as parents would like to believe we can, it is the children who will make all of the big life decisions themselves, we can't make these choices for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread