Noob, just got my Blu. How can I make it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got the blu I wasn't pleased. But I did like the pcc and the concept. However now I love the blu. What I did was put an m801 atty and cart on a blu battery and it fit nearly flush, like within a business card thickness. The m801 atty has a lower bridge and this seems to either wick faster or burn hotter, not sure but the vapor production is consistant for 90% of the life of the cart. I've posted this little fact so many times only because I've been there and I know that you're half way to a awesome little ecig. Litecigusa.net nd vaporcloudz seem to be the only ones selling the m801 attys and litecig is the only one selling m801 carts, although I suspect m801 carts are the same as m401 carts. So for 17$ you get two attys and 5 carts. Just my opinion but 17$ is a lot less than buying a whole new ecig kit. And in the end you get all the style and convience of the blu but with the preformance of an m401 (easier draw too!)

Dolly

Oct 24, 2009
New Jersey
Hope this helps. Maybe someday I'll have time to put together a whole guide and post it...

Not a bad idea! Thanks so much for the informative info!!!!! ><

Also, I dunno how many times this link may or may not have been posted in the forum already, but a quick vid on YouTube visualizing how to rinse and refill Blu carts: "How to refill the blu cigs carts". And if you search that, I'm sure you'll see tons of other videos up as well.

Furius

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
I followed the advice of some on here and I got my M801 atomizer today and attached it to my Volcano/Blu Battery. I dripped on the atomizer and the result is nothing short of amazing. Lots of Vaper. Flavor, Throat hit, the works! Its all there. And not to mention I can pull like I do on an analog and get throat hit and vapor. I don't need to draw for a long period of time to get it. I just pull for the amount of time like a I do an analog and presto. However the draw is a little tight, its not really an issue since its starting to loosen up. The atomizer is breaking in but I tend to like the tighter draw anyway.

Furius

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
does it fit in the pcc with the m801 cart attached?

510 attys are also compatible but dont fit in the pcc

It sure does fit, very nicely. I also like the carts that come with the M801 atomizer as they look very much like a real cig filter. However I have noticed that the carts for blu/volcano do not fit well on the m801 atomizer for some unknown reason since the atomizer appears to fit like a glove for everything other part. But like i said that doesn't matter much since I prefer the 801 carts more anyway.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
get rid of your blu. I rather go with SE before I went with Blu. :rolleyes:

Why? Is it a problem with the L88b or the Blu company specifically. I didn't go with Blu because I'm impatient and didn't feel like waiting a week or two. I went with Volcano which sold an identical L88b model as Blu's, just minus the blue led.

I love my L88b and use it exclusively. I just picked up a 510 titan USB passthrough from TW which has been working extremely well (Volcano cart and atty with the 510 PT).

JBL_64

Nov 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Glad to know someone else was impatient with Blu and went with the Volcano as well! I'm expecting mine tomorrow and hope that I didn't make a mistake as there seems to be so many inconsistencies and different opinions about the blu/volcano. I guess everyone is different and uses a different technique...or something like that. I'll guess I'll find out over the next week or so.

The Drizzle

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Washington, DC
I love my little L88b! I have a Silver Bullet that I use at home, but the Volcano is what I carry around with me. It works great for me, and dripping a couple drops on either side of the atty bridge gives me vapor on par with my 510 at 3.7 volts. I say, forget the carts, the cart mods, and all that jazz. Dripping works the best, and it's simple, so long as you don't over do it. Two drops is sufficient.
Lot's of people will tell you the L88b is garbage, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I think that it is a great little pv. I used it to quit smoking for God's sake! It's small in size like a regular cig, the battery life isn't great, but the PCC makes up for it. Treat it right, and IMHO, it works like a champ!

cochese86

Dec 10, 2009
Check
I don't have time for a super-detailed post right this second, but will try to get to it later tonight. The blu is not for heavy smokers, and your main concern is going to be vapor and throat hit, a 510 might well be better for you. But the blu has a largely undeserved reputation for being woefully underpowered, when in fact if you use it the right way, it can be pretty startling for such a tiny device.

Quickly, the things that have made the most difference for me are:

1) Refill the stock carts with good liquid. So far I'm liking the Johnson Creek reduced-PG liquids best.

2) Restuff the stock carts with better filling. The difference when using the PET from Lipton Pyramid tea bags is astounding. It wicks the fluid faster and more thoroughly, and more fluid to the atomizer = more vapor.

3) Buy extra atomizers-- not because they die particularly often (I haven't had one die yet), but because they're cheap and you can use them to cap refilled blu carts and carry them in the pack that way. You can carry six different flavors and not worry about overlap, and you always have moist, ready atomizers when you switch flavors.

4) If you don't mind leaving behind the convenience of carts, you can try dipping (not dripping, as that's less convenient and more of a risk to your equipment). Carry the liquid of your choice in a contact lens case, and dip the atomizer wick into the liquid for a couple of seconds, then replace the mouthpiece and you're good for maybe a dozen draws before you have to dip again. This will probably yield the best vapor, but I stopped because carts are so much more convenient, and after the PTB mod, the performance difference was negligible.

A last piece of advice: the one thing you're going to hear most often is "return the blu and get a [510/901/Prodigy/etc.]." While that may in fact be the best move for you, depending on your habits, needs, and requirements, if you take some time to get to know the blu, you may well find that it performs very well when you treat it right. For reasons I still don't understand, the blu forum here is populated largely with people who seem never to have even used one, and this will become obvious quickly.

Just wanted to thank hxj for his posts in this forum and Blu discussions. I'm still waiting on the Blu, but it at least seems reasonable that I can get off analogs with it.

Hxj, what liquid are you using (not to mention carts and atty)?

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I would recommend that anyone who gets a Blu and really wants to quit should buy a backup pv due to all of the issues with the L88. I personally have a bunch of friends who were unable to quit because they were inadequately prepared, i.e. their Blu stopped working, wasn't strong enough, etc. etc. and they didn't purchase a backup.

It's a decent intro unit into the world of vaping, but it's not a replacement for a higher-quality unit such as an original dse901 or a 510. Plus, the higher-quality pv's are often much cheaper in cost than the Blu, for which you're pretty much paying for the nice packaging. $35 to $40 should be more than enough for a good backup.

Good luck to all who are trying to quit! It's totally worth the effort in the long run, IMO.
:cool:
-J4mmin

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
Hxj, what liquid are you using (not to mention carts and atty)?

Right now my Pack is carrying carts loaded with:

1) Decadent Vapours all-VG Absinthe
2) Decadent Vapours all-VG Parma Violet
3) Decadent Vapours all-VG Habana Reserve
4) Intellicig ECOpure Rich
5) Intellicig ECOpure Menthol
6) My own Shirley Temple mix

And sometimes I sub in a few others I've been messing with, including an eggnog, a pineapple-coconut, and a Captain Black-style concoction.

For atomizers, I'm using mostly L88b ones from blu and Volcano, with a couple of 306A ones in the mix (though I don't find they work much better-- maybe a little, and they certainly get hotter). For carts, mostly 306A ones, plus some original blu ones, all using PET from Lipton Pyramid tea bags as filler.

I occasionally use a Revolver Elite (with both the standard M40x carts and modified 306A carts), but while I do like it, I find I'm getting overall better results with the L88b. That might just be a learning-curve issue, though, and I certainly haven't given up on it because I LOVE the size and the PCC.

I also have a 510 and almost never touch it. It's been relegated to emergency back-up status.

cochese86

Dec 10, 2009
Check
I would recommend that anyone who gets a Blu and really wants to quit should buy a backup pv due to all of the issues with the L88. I personally have a bunch of friends who were unable to quit because they were inadequately prepared, i.e. their Blu stopped working, wasn't strong enough, etc. etc. and they didn't purchase a backup.

It's a decent intro unit into the world of vaping, but it's not a replacement for a higher-quality unit such as an original dse901 or a 510. Plus, the higher-quality pv's are often much cheaper in cost than the Blu, for which you're pretty much paying for the nice packaging. $35 to $40 should be more than enough for a good backup.

Good luck to all who are trying to quit! It's totally worth the effort in the long run, IMO.
:cool:
-J4mmin

Appreciate the info. I plan on purchasing some atomizers and another battery or two immediately. I've done enough reading on forums to realize that backups are necessary to successfully quit.

Hxj, thanks for your info as well. I'll look into the Decadent Vapours soon. I'm going to order some Johnson Creek liquid to see what that does for flavor. I keep seeing mixed reviews, but for the most part looks good and it's local so shipping should be less of an issue. I'm also looking forward to the PTB mod (as soon as I get the Blu and drain a few carts).

cochese86

Dec 10, 2009
Check
Just ordered 801 attys and carts for my Blu. Can't wait to try it out!!! Im getting great vapor out of my Blu but im always up for a cheap easy mod!!

I've found that I carry my Blu with me when I'm out. I get good vapor with it. I've found that after some puffs, I push the inner cart a little closer to the atty from the bottom of the cart and it continues to produce good vapor in with heavy use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread