The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Noob, just got my Blu. How can I make it better?

Discussion in 'Blu Electronic Cigarettes' started by InSoMnIaC, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. InSoMnIaC

InSoMnIaC Full Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi, I just got my first e-cig today (blu) and it's not too bad. I'm used to smoking about a pack of marlboro lights a day and I really want to swtich to e-cigs. The hit of the blu really isn't bad, and the price was great. I got mine in 4 days. I hear references to tea leaves and dripping. I want the closest flavor to a Marlboro Light with as much vapor as possible. Can some offer me some guidance? What can I do to my blu to get some more vapor? I apologize for asking what is probably a very common question. I greatly appreciate any advice you experts can give me. Thanks!

2. cassavetes

cassavetes Moved On

Aug 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I hear dripping is best with a Blu.

The closest liquid I've found to a Marlboro Light is the Kent liquid.

Rocky Mountain Vapor has 10ml bottles if you want to try it.

3. InSoMnIaC

InSoMnIaC Full Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Ok. Can you explain that a little more to me? I don't know a whole lot about e-cigs and I want to have the best experience. This blu would be awesome if I could get more vapor. I'm not sure what dripping is or what it involves. Is dripping going to give me more vapor? Is there anything that I can do to the atomizer to get a better hit?

4. cassavetes

cassavetes Moved On

Aug 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Dripping is dropping a drip or two of e-liquid directly on to the atomizer, usually on the wick. This should give you nice vapor and a good throat hit.

I use a 510 which usually works quite well when dripping.

My best advice to you is to ditch the Blu and get a 510 with a manual battery. They're vapor monsters.

You can get a kit really cheap from Innovapor or Rocky Mountain Vapor.

5. InSoMnIaC

InSoMnIaC Full Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the quick info. How many drops does it need? Is that going to lower the life of the atomizer? Also is that going to provide a better throat hit?one last thing, I noticed that there was a small piece of foil on the tip of the atomizer, does that serve a purpose or would it be better to remove it? Thanks for all your advice!

6. jlcanary

jlcanary Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2009
    Owensboro, Ky
    Ok. I have had my experience with the Blu and in my opinion you are better off without it (just my opinion). You will want to remove the foil from the atomizer everytime you put on a new cartridge because it hinders the vapor production. All you have to do is twist the cartridge a little after you put it on and then take it off and wipe the foil off of the atomizer. I tried everything I could with the blu and I could never get good vapor. I think it is due to poor atomizers. Also the cartridges do not actually hold a lot of liquid so they don't last very long. If you straighten a paperclip and stick it in the hole of the mouthpiece (going from the end you put in your mouth) you can push the piece that holds the liquid out and see how small it is. If you are going to stick with the blu I would suggest dripping a little on the atomizer to get better vapor, but it won't be great. Also, you will have to be very careful because it can shorten the life of your atomizer, especially if you put too much liquid in it (causing flooding). I never found a way to effectively blow the juice of the atomizer out, maybe you could experiment with it. I ended up getting a dse901 from vaporkings.com and I absolutely love it. I was smoking about a pack and a half of marlboro lights a day before I switched.

7. InSoMnIaC

InSoMnIaC Full Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the tips. I had like 3 pieces of foil on the atomizer. Lol. I took those off and it's a lot better. I think that I will consider upgrading after I smoke through the tips that came in the starter kit.

8. cassavetes

cassavetes Moved On

Aug 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I usually add 3 drops on the atty. It won't diminsh the atty's life span, especially if it's brand new.

I'm not sure what the foil is, but you might want to leave it there.

Hope tha helps.

9. InSoMnIaC

InSoMnIaC Full Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Ok, so can I buy a better atomizer that will work with the blu battery? I really do like the battery pack charger and I'd like to still use that if possible...

10. solonguniverse

solonguniverse Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2009
    Missouri, USA
    I hate to say it, but send it back while you can still get a refund. The 510 has a PCC(personal charging case) that will perform the same function although its not as flashy. It still resembles the size of a pack of cigarettes(albeit 100s). The 510 will become your best friend and especially starting out you need reliability.

11. kristin

kristin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    Before dripping, make sure you have a closed battery. Unscrew the battery and look at the end - is there a hole there? If so DO NOT drip, as it will ruin your battery.

Premade carts have a little piece of plastic and foil that seperates the filler from the atomizer, which I think interferes with vapor production. Once you can get refillable carts and modify the filler and can top off or drip, you'll have a much better vaping experience.

Use up your carts and then get a Joye 510. Eventually, you'll get away from the whole "it has to be a cigarette clone" stage and enjoy real flavors and pleasures of vaping! :)

12. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2009
    Arkansas
    Before you get rid of your blu, I'd look at some of the posts on here, especially regarding the PTB mod. The blu is not as bad a product as some would have you believe. I own a 510, and a blu. I like both for different reasons. You can get good vapor from blu, just gotta let the attys break in, and honestly i have no alterior motive. Hxj has some great posts on the matter.

If you decide to try the PTB mod, Rob from goodprophets will treat you right on your liquid needs. Awesome customer service.

13. InSoMnIaC

InSoMnIaC Full Member

Sep 12, 2009
    How long does it usually take to break in the atomizer? Also, is there any trick on how to get a good draw with the blu? I try slow and long, but it cuts me off... I'll order the 510 next time, but I want to enjoy this blu a little while I have it. The hits are very inconsistent.

14. happily

happily Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 25, 2009
    anchorage, ak
    first off..........yes remove the foil. Second thing you do is order 1 510 atomizer and cartridge(it will thread right onto the blue) 3rd the blu has an exposed bridge on the atomizer so you can dip not drip..........take the cartridge off and dip the exposed bridge in fluid and vape away. The carts are too deep for tea bag and straw mods so don't worry about researching those. Also use your finger's to plug 2 of the holes between the battery and atty so you get less air and more vapor

but order the 510 atty just so you can see the difference check out www.rockymtnvapor.com their are fast and have cheap shipping.......free if you order enough

all automatic batteries are not sealed

15. Cowboy Dan

Aug 29, 2009
    Arkansas
    The attys take about a week of regular use to get going good...at least that was the case for me.

The prefilled carts that blu provides really suck. They dry out quickly...after about 3 good draws the vapor diminishes greatly. I think that is probably why you are getting frustrated, and I can't blame you, their cart system is not good.

Drawing on it can be tricky...unlike alot of other e cigs, the fainter the draw the better on the blu. It's more like trying to suck air through a straw on the blu vs. say milk on the 510. I've found if you pause on a draw once it cuts off, and hit it again you can get past the cutoff, not a long pause, just a very slight one. I have one battery that doesn't really cutoff, and one that is very sensitive to the cutoff. With the 510 you won't really have this problem, as it has a manual switch. But the tradeoff is, for someone like me still addicted to analogs (getting better), it doesn't really emulate an analog all that well. The blu is not for everyone...if you read these forums, you might think it's not right for anyone :p, but with some modding on carts, or just going to dipping/dripping it is an extremely satisfying e cig. That being said, very few people on here will agree with that assessment, so you may be one of the people who just don't like it. If that's the case, I would say send it back and get a 510, or maybe try the MV sidesho...I've seen some positive feedback on it, and is closer to the convenience factor that blu has with the PCC, size, etc.

16. Cowboy Dan

Aug 29, 2009
    Arkansas

Actually, there are people trying the PTB with great success on the blu. I happen to be one of them, it works quite well.

17. happily

happily Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 25, 2009
    anchorage, ak
    how do you get it in there? slingshot?

18. InSoMnIaC

InSoMnIaC Full Member

Sep 12, 2009
    So how long does dripping/dipping last vs cartriges? How many hits are 3 drops worth?

19. Cowboy Dan

Aug 29, 2009
    Arkansas
    Lol, something like that. Basically just gotta push the inner cart up with a paper clip, roll/shred PTB, shove it in and cut it flush. Not that hard.

20. Cowboy Dan

Aug 29, 2009
    Arkansas

About 10 good draws for me with 2 drops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.