Not Gonna Buy Any More Premixed E-juice. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
That is what I have found also. Running low on bottles. I have 10 of the 30ml that I keep in rotation. Usually 5 are full and steeping while I use the other five. Sometimes I will use the 15ml for new mixes and rotate those as well. I have found the reason for my shortages is giving away juice. All my 10ml and some of my 6ml are out and about!

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
Believe it or not, you are smart enough. :) Remember when you first started to vape and reading on ECF? If you were like me, my head was spinning trying to assimilate all the info. Slowly it all started to make sense. Making my own juice was like that, I just kept reading about it and finally it all came together. Just start slowly, and try to make juices that are not too complicated.

umm. I have like close to 3000 posts and I still feel like I did in the beginning. I am still trying to figure out this whole resistance, ohm carto atty thing :)

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
It is confusing at first. I picked it up pretty quick so it can't be that hard.
If you decide to try, I will be glad to spend as much time on the phone with you as necessary :)
be careful what you offer! I just might take you up on that. I will have to pay for the increase in your cell phone plan though :)

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
I really like the idea of DIYing, not only to save money, but also to cut down on shipping. The problem for me is that most of the recipies I see involve ordering supplies online. To me that defeats some of the purpose. My holy grail would be to be able to make my oen juice from locally sourced materials so I never have to wait for a shipment of anything. Guess I'm part way there. I think I am ready to try 0 nic, and I know I can get USP VG from the local drug store, but the flavors are another issue. I would love to see some recipies that call for readily available store bought flavorings, like stuff that can be gotten at most well stocked grocery stores. Will be monitoring this thread for any suggestions.

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
I couldn't have said it better myself (regarding what Mudflap originally posted). The only thing I will actually pay for is AVE Hype or Sweet Tart. I won't even go into commenting about the rest of the stuff on the market, & the 10 new "juice vendors" opening shop everyday. I'm sick of someone thinking they have some awesome DIY juice so they decide to open shop at their kitchen table. Yeah........I'm not buying it. I'm also not gonna buy their germs, the germs of their kids, pets, etc.

There are flavoring companies. Every vendor uses the same ones. It's no secret to us. These flavoring companies do not only sell wholesale, they also sell to the individual. I say we all go the DIY route. Personally I use Natures Flavors for my DIY because I prefer a VG base. If any type of face to face sale thing comes into play we are gonna have to DIY anyway. Why not get started now making your own creations?

Tripp, thanks for posting this. I would LOVE to copy and paste it onto every ejuice vendor's forum except for AVE's of course.

If anyone wants to trade some DIY stuff, I'd be more than happy. For example, i've mastered 3 juices from a very popular & expensive PINK vendor & I make them all vg based with organic flavoring. I've also got other creations........but you know..........now i'm starting to sound like a vendor. lol

:::This is no joke, I have literally seen an ejuice vendor talk about having to pick up food at the food bank. This is a very sad situation, but instead of making juice at their kitchen table, maybe they could go out and look for a job..........::::

Last edited:

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Well, if that shop is local to you, you COULD go and hit the ex-owner on the head until he spills out the recipe for your favourite.

If you shake him hard enough they could even do the "DIY" for you =)

Lol, there's the kicker, and one of the reasons I'm moving on.

I had spent hundreds of dollars on this vendor's juice. Got a form letter email the other day saying they were closing and that a close out sale was happening (not a past customer first sale, or special pricing for past customers), so I panicked and bought a huuuuuge order to tie me over.

Now I find out from different sources that this company is indeed closed, but they have sold the recipes to a vendor who'll be continuing on.

Am I happy my ADV will continue on? No. I'd rather get treated like a valued customer than just another open wallet.

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
I really like the idea of DIYing, not only to save money, but also to cut down on shipping. The problem for me is that most of the recipies I see involve ordering supplies online. To me that defeats some of the purpose. My holy grail would be to be able to make my oen juice from locally sourced materials so I never have to wait for a shipment of anything. Guess I'm part way there. I think I am ready to try 0 nic, and I know I can get USP VG from the local drug store, but the flavors are another issue. I would love to see some recipies that call for readily available store bought flavorings, like stuff that can be gotten at most well stocked grocery stores. Will be monitoring this thread for any suggestions.

If you want to make 0 nic juice, you can totally do it all locally. VG can be found at hippie groceries (Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc) in the skin care section, PG can be gotten from your pharmacist without a prescription, and flavorings can be found at cake/candy supply houses, gourmet shops, even wal-mart.

The nicotine is really the only thing I need to get online, and in times of extreme duress, I could make my own extraction by macerating loose rolling tobacco.

sinnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Up north

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
If you want to make 0 nic juice, you can totally do it all locally. VG can be found at hippie groceries (Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc) in the skin care section, PG can be gotten from your pharmacist without a prescription, and flavorings can be found at cake/candy supply houses, gourmet shops, even wal-mart.

The nicotine is really the only thing I need to get online, and in times of extreme duress, I could make my own extraction by macerating loose rolling tobacco.

you the man. I might be bugging you a bit about this. Where does one go to start this endeavor?

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I think I am ready to try 0 nic, and I know I can get USP VG from the local drug store, but the flavors are another issue. I would love to see some recipies that call for readily available store bought flavorings, like stuff that can be gotten at most well stocked grocery stores. Will be monitoring this thread for any suggestions.
I am not sure what exactly can be bought in a store in the US, but if there is a pharmacy close by you should be fine. Suggestions:
1) Try pure vaping base, either with or without nic. It has its own taste.
2) Ask around for a source for menthol crystals. I am not sure what kind of shop would carry that in the U.S., but pharmacies usually have it for their own recipes. Dissolve 10grams of menthol crystals in 10ml PG or pure (>90Vol%) ethanol (Everclear is the brand name in the U.S I think). Use 1-4% of that flavour in your juice.
3) If you like coffee as a juice taste - there are several methods of extracting that from actual coffee. You can read about it here on the ECF.

The menthol flavour works well to mask yucky store bought juice, too.

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
you the man. I might be bugging you a bit about this. Where does one go to start this endeavor?

I started DIY with ecigexpress, getting everything I needed there except the nicotine base, which I used to get from Box Elder. I still recommend ecigexpress for people starting out because they have flavorings from a large selection of manufacturers as well as other DIY necessities (syringes, graduated cylinders, pipettes, etc), which allows you to get a lot of different stuff with only one shipping cost. My current nicotine vendor is rtsvapes.

One of the many great things about DIY is you can start small (and therefore cheaply) and work your way up to having a more extensive and flexible 'lab'. You want to start small and simple, and progress your way up to larger batches and more complex recipes.

For the sake of example, let's say you want to make a blueberry juice at 24mg with a 50/50 mix of pg and vg. Start with a 60ml bottle of 48mg nic in PG (the smallest size rts sells) and pick up a bottle of VG from the store. Get a few disposable pipettes and some 10ml bottles, and a small bottle of blueberry flavoring. You now have everything you need to make 120ml of vapable blueberry juice. Say you want your flavor to run 10% of the total mix, so your bottle will have 1ml flavor and 9ml of base. Fill a pipette with 1ml of flavor and squirt it into the 10ml bottle. Take another pipette and fill it with 4.5ml of the nic in pg and squirt it into the bottle. Take another pipette and fill it with 4.5ml of vg and squirt it into the bottle. Put the dropper tip on the 10ml bottle, put the cap on the tip, and shake the bejeezus out of it. You're done mixing, you now have a 10ml bottle of 24mg (give or take, with the flavoring taking up 1ml of volume it's more like 21-22mg) 50/50 juice. You can get more accurate with various ejuice calculators, but I'm a simple man with simple needs.

Personally, I like to heat-steep my juices by letting the bottles sit in a running hot-water bath (bottle sits in ashtray, ashtray sits under a hot dribbling tap) for an hour or so, giving it a good shake every 15 minutes. I find the heat-steeping process helps the components mingle better and brings the flavor out a bit, but YMMV. Most juices will taste better if you let them sit for a few days/weeks in a cool dark space after mixing, but it's up to you.

Clean your pipettes and re-use them next time. They say disposable but you can use 'em over and over if you keep them clean between use. You can get into much more complex recipes, but the creation process is still essentially the same. Some people prefer to use graduated cylinders and syringes and stuff like that for improved accuracy, but again, this is something you can build up to.

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
I am not sure what exactly can be bought in a store in the US, but if there is a pharmacy close by you should be fine. Suggestions:
1) Try pure vaping base, either with or without nic. It has its own taste.
2) Ask around for a source for menthol crystals. I am not sure what kind of shop would carry that in the U.S., but pharmacies usually have it for their own recipes. Dissolve 10grams of menthol crystals in 10ml PG or pure (>90Vol%) ethanol (Everclear is the brand name in the U.S I think). Use 1-4% of that flavour in your juice.
3) If you like coffee as a juice taste - there are several methods of extracting that from actual coffee. You can read about it here on the ECF.

The menthol flavour works well to mask yucky store bought juice, too.

1) I quite like the experience of vaping unflavored 50/50 base - the vg has a faint natural sweetness and it actually is quite enjoyable on its own.
2) I use menthol crystals dissolved in everclear - this works GREAT. Take a 10ml bottle, cram it about 2/3 full of menthol crystals (also available from ecigexpress) and then top it off with everclear. Shake it up until the crystals are all dissolved and you can now mentholate anything by dribbling a drop or two on/in it.
3) I should try this, as I've found every coffee flavoring that I've tried thoroughly disgusting.

karmakatie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
MO
For those wanting to DIY juice supplies, here are some shortcuts I have found for measuring syringes, got to any farm store and get the syringes in bulk and different gauge needles for a whole bunch less than most vendors are charging per item! I have found glass measuring devices in the kitchen department in Walmart as well. You can use online converters for turning ounces into mils......just think outside the box and look around at Walmart pharmacy and kitchen as well as Farm stores that carry vet supplies for cattle and horses!!.
I get my PG at the farm store and my VG at walmart.....works out very well!
I picked up a case 12x 8oz Cobalt bottles for storing the cut Nic juice to make it more workable and safer, for just 25.00 shipped. We have options out there :)

As for flavorings, I only picked up a couple to begin with , then I realized I would save alot on shipping by getting bigger bottles and more flavors at once, I just stayed within flavors I KNOW I like, and it works well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread