Obama Struggles With Smoking 'Addiction' as He Praises Congress for New Tobacco Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandallFlagg

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Denver, Co, USA
Obama Struggles With Smoking 'Addiction' as He Praises Congress for New Tobacco Regulations - Political News - FOXNews.com

WASHINGTON -- The White House acknowledged Friday President Obama is still struggling to break his smoking addiction even as the president congratulated Congress for passing tough new regulations that puts tobacco under control of the Food and Drug Administration for the first time.
Asked if the president still smoked, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama has "a struggle with nicotine addiction" every day.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I envy anyone here who does NOT struggle with nicotine addiction every day after quitting cigarettes. I do. I quit cigarettes July 17, 2007, used snus and disssolvables until I added e-smoking in January 2008 -- and I want a tobacco cigarette every waking minute of every day.

I use all the harm reduction I can -- non-stop vaping, 10 or more portion snus a day, 10 or more Java Stonewall dissolvables a day, nasal snuff (maybe 30 sniffs a day), and four pipes. I'm ordering some more Oliver Twist real tobacco pellets today.

I fully understand the struggle and if he's anything like me, an e-cig will not stop his cravings. Unfortunately, his position means he can never be seen using a Chinese import without FDA approval. Understand that. The President of the United States would rather be photographed smoking a Camel than a Blu. That's a simple political fact.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Just won't happen. It would encourage a practice he would not want to encourage. If you were a leader, your goal would be to discourage all forms of dangerous addiction. Unfortunately, nicotine addiction is more dangerous than beneficial, in the eyes of most researchers. E-smoking continues or begins nicotine addiction.

It is not acceptable even without smoke's carcinogens.

Some might understand a lapse into cigarette smoking while quitting. Making the public understand perceived benefits from a technological fix device would be virtually impossible. We have a long run to go to gain public acceptance of recreational nicotine use. But we can do it. It will just take a decade or more.

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
Just won't happen. It would encourage a practice he would not want to encourage.

Not in public.

If you were a leader, your goal would be to discourage all forms of dangerous addiction.

Change "leader" to "doctor," and I would agree. Otherwise, political leaders aren't charged with legislating anti-addiction, anti-obesity etc. -- nor is the government very efficient or effective at enforcing such edicts, as proven by that war on drugs that's never been won.

Unfortunately, nicotine addiction is more dangerous than beneficial, in the eyes of most researchers.

Then why not ban cigarettes altogether, Bob, along with tobacco in all its forms?

E-smoking continues or begins nicotine addiction.

Trust me, Bob, if Philip Morris decided tomorrow that they could make a handsome profit on e-smoking (if they haven't already made that decision), you'll see research reports, certifications, trials, studies and eventually a hallelujah chorus of Congress critters (aided by hundreds of paid PM lobbyists) hailing the wondrous new "healthy alternative."

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
Asked if the president still smoked, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama has "a struggle with nicotine addiction" every day.

Which in real language means "No he is'nt because he's smoking his favourite Brand, whenever he want's, wherever he want's (as long as it's not on Camera) because he's the ****ing President and we've got to keep our mouthpiece happy and the Law only applies to you peasants."

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
I fully understand the struggle and if he's anything like me, an e-cig will not stop his cravings.

I think that's because we smokers aren't so much addicted to nicotine ,as we are addicted to some of the other 4000 chemicles in regular cigaretts.

I can vape 36 mg nico-juice for several weeks straight
and it helps ,
but I really don't feel much from them and I don't lose the cravings for analogs altogether.

but one puff off a "lite" analog makes me waaaay lite-headed ,so I don't think it's the nicotine that we crave!

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I fully understand the struggle and if he's anything like me, an e-cig will not stop his cravings.(big snip)

Well, wouldn't it be heroic of him to be seen struggling with a an e-cig, for the sake of the secondhand smoke issue??? For the kids, Michelle, the dog???

Oh nemmind, I'm sure Camilla won't be parted from her analogs either...

C.

tikva

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Obama Struggles With Smoking 'Addiction' as He Praises Congress for New Tobacco Regulations - Political News - FOXNews.com
WASHINGTON -- ...
Which in real language means "No he is'nt because he's smoking his favourite Brand, whenever he want's, wherever he want's (as long as it's not on Camera) because he's the ****ing President and we've got to keep our mouthpiece happy and the Law only applies to you peasants."
And then it goes on to quote Obama:
"...will protect our kids and improve our public health," the president, a reformed smoker, said from the Rose Garden."

Right.:mad: (And I have some swamp land in Florida for sale.....)

The article also says, "Smoking is responsible for more than 30 percent of all cancer deaths...". (So what are they going to ban to "reduce" the other 70%?)

And again, the oh-so-special-quote:
"The bill aims to curb the roughly 400,000 deaths a year attributed to smoking. It would allow the FDA to reduce how much nicotine is in cigarettes."

Right. Their "aim" is straight into the pockets of BT with smokers buying more cigs to get their nic fix, therefore increasing tar consumption, causing more illness/death and therefore "aiming" more money at BP. (The FDA is apparently incapable of reading established medical/scientific reports about this 'low nic=more smoking' research OR they have to admit their real interest is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ONLY).

Good job F*****g D**n A******s

playerags

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Brussels, Wisconsin
I envy anyone here who does NOT struggle with nicotine addiction every day after quitting cigarettes. I do. I quit cigarettes July 17, 2007, used snus and disssolvables until I added e-smoking in January 2008 -- and I want a tobacco cigarette every waking minute of every day.

I use all the harm reduction I can -- non-stop vaping, 10 or more portion snus a day, 10 or more Java Stonewall dissolvables a day, nasal snuff (maybe 30 sniffs a day), and four pipes. I'm ordering some more Oliver Twist real tobacco pellets today.

I fully understand the struggle and if he's anything like me, an e-cig will not stop his cravings. Unfortunately, his position means he can never be seen using a Chinese import without FDA approval. Understand that. The President of the United States would rather be photographed smoking a Camel than a Blu. That's a simple political fact.

I think TropicalBob would be a great source of nicotine in case of an all out ban. We just have to figure out how to extract it from his body.:D

Christina

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
US/Pennsylvania
twoaz1.com
Trust me, Bob, if Philip Morris decided tomorrow that they could make a handsome profit on e-smoking (if they haven't already made that decision), you'll see research reports, certifications, trials, studies and eventually a hallelujah chorus of Congress critters (aided by hundreds of paid PM lobbyists) hailing the wondrous new "healthy alternative."

Here is a link to a .pdf TropicalBob posted a few weeks back. http://www.forces.org/writers/kjono/pdf/tobacco_control_and_fda_regulation.pdf The way I take it, we've been manipulated for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread