Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
The problem is that even if they are a bit less than what your meter is saying then you shouldn't be having much of a burning taste and if there is any it should go away by cranking open the juice control.

No sir, I was just responding to Sodapopinski. You are nothing but helpful, and I yield to your expertise and attention to detail. Trust me, no hard feelings here. I have started using my Father-in-law's Fluke Multimeter which he assures me is working perfectly and accurately. I didn't get a burnt taste at all last night with the new ceramic, but we'll see how today bodes. The new coil is working great again, even with the Craft store NR wire.

The problem is that even if they are a bit less than what your meter is saying then you shouldn't be having much of a burning taste and if there is any it should go away by cranking open the juice control.

This is what is baking my noodle too. Even if my coils ARE less than what they are being measured, it shouldn't make a terrible burnt taste right off the hop. I should be able to run this sucker at 1.5 ohms or less so long as the juice control is open but I have never been able to.

Thanks everybody :D

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Holy Smokes, this thread got way too many responses since I left to respond to them one-by-one.

We can almost taste the distress in your posts,after the UFS debacle and now the ody,I think we all want you to succeed and keep you around :)

And this is good trouble shooting/hunting,can be usefull for all.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I have some theory about bigger gauge wire giving better taste

By bigger gauge wire do you mean bigger AWG or Thicker?

We can almost taste the distress in your posts,after the UFS debacle and now the ody,I think we all want you to succeed and keep you around :)

And this is good trouble shooting/hunting,can be usefull for all.

Aww shucks thanks dude, thanks. Trust me, I'm a GG fanatic for life. Off topic I'll be proving it on the evening of May 15th. Moshmarr and I have a GG surprise for everybody that we hope will knock some socks off. Just a teaser...

Anywho, I am very particular about getting a device working just right, and consistently. I'm determined to master the Ody and help the next wave of newbs that will pop up with the next run. I can't wait to try Steve's coil.

keighles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Maryland
Ok Funky, I have been following this thread to see how you are progressing. So far everyone has covered everything I could think of. But I do have to agree that the coil you show in your pics looks very much like my 1.8 ohm coils.
I see you are using a Fluke meter, good meter btw, I am using the same brand.

When I do my coils and install them, I have no change in the resistance. Maybe a bad twist on the wires?

I will post some pics of mine the next time I build one. Lately I have been using a 1.6 dual coil set up. Using 2 strands of wick,
unbraided after wrapping and placed in the ceramic. so the ends of the wick go into the channels. After I vape it a few times I need to open the juice control all the way to supply enough liquid to the coil.

Really hope you figure this out, once you do, you will be good to go.

PM me your address as well and I'll send you one of my dual coils.

UnFettered_Soul

Exalted Grand High Poobah
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Tgoode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Ontario
tgoode.zenfolio.com
Here is a new configuration I'm trying out. Its a #400 stainless mesh full krink made with 30 ga kanthal and 28 ga half hard sterling silver wire.

As you can see, the heavier, stiffer silver wire allows for a straight twist so I don't need to twist the silver back over itself. So far so good...

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Our friends in Greece know what's up!! .8ohm at 3.7v is my favorite low voltage coil! Got mine setup at 1.3ohms at 6v right now, vaping like a true champion!
so what my friend?
i use to set my ODY at 1.0Ω to 0.8Ω
if you have burn taste you must open a little more the Juice control
ody works under very heavy conditions

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Funky, as another means of troubleshooting your problem, I would wrap a fresh coil around 2 strands of stock wick (aim for 4 wraps), meter it, and then install it like you normally would, but refrain from putting the tank on and just try dripping into the short mode mouthpiece with the juice control closed for now. I don't suspect that your coil is the problem here, I think it's more likely that you're experiencing wicking issues if you're getting burnt taste less than a day into vaping on a new coil.
I agree with everyone else that the resistance of your coils seem unusually high for 32g wire, so I think it's safe to assume you have 34g wire (could be 36, but 34 is more likely because that is what Imeo sent out with the first few batches of ody wire to Bruce). Your coils look fine, but going forward, I wouldn't bother heat-treating the wick, but rather heat up the resistance wire with a cigarette lighter (before twisting it with the nr wire, hold your lighter so the tip of the flame engulfs the wire and move the lighter from end to end on the strand until each section of wire starts to glow orange before moving on).
If you have better results with dripping, I'd continue dripping until you've gone through at least a couple of ml through it to ensure that the wick and coil are fully broken in, and then try it with a tank. If you have the same issues with dripping, switch juices and repeat the process.
If you need more R wire, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll set you up with 32, 34, and 36g kanthal, I've got tons of it on deck.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This 17-watt rwechsler:evil:
Do you like vaping eruption?

17-watts is the lower end of the spectrum for me. Flavor is incredible at 0.8-1.0ohm/3.7v, but I just fiend the clouds and heat that only 6 and 7.4v coils can provide! Around 20-24w is my typical range, but I'll go as high as 28-30 if I'm really feeling dangerous ;)

Mosin_Sergei

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2012
Nizniy Novgorod Russia
www.mebelalkova.ru
I tried to 28 watts.
Then a long time to come to his senses.
All receptors are burned.
Now vaping 8-10 watts.
17-watts is the lower end of the spectrum for me. Flavor is incredible at 0.8-1.0ohm/3.7v, but I just fiend the clouds and heat that only 6 and 7.4v coils can provide! Around 20-24w is my typical range, but I'll go as high as 28-30 if I'm really feeling dangerous ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread