Omfg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2010
North Carolina
Wow, I'm sorry you had that experience. You did nothing wrong, pvs are not illegal nor is nicotine.

I realize that the cop was "doing his job" but this kind of routine harassment is indicative of a much larger problem. Cops have authority but using that to intimidate and humiliate civilians is just wrong.

This guy was just an ....... "Doing his job" is enforcing the law, not making up and enforcing new ones on the spot because he's trying to make up for a shortcoming somewhere else - probably below the belt.

The hard part is remembering that they're not all this way and that most experiences with John Law are positive. Until he hands you that ticket...

QLogic

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Michigan
Oh my lord...I just got home. I went to the grocery store, and on my way back, I got pulled over by a cop. What was I doing? vaping! I was vaping while I drove! So the officer pulls me over, runs my license, and asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm using an electronic cigarette. He says it doesn't look anything like a cigarette. I agree, and explain how it works. He tells me to hit it, so I do, and I smile. Now he tells me it doesn't smell like a cigarette. I agree again. Isn't it nice? (I'm vaping RY4) So then he wants to see the bottle of liquid I'm putting in it. I pull it out of my purse and show it to him. It's unlabled, because it's the little needle-tipped bottle that came with my kit. The labeled bottle of juice is in my fridge, because the package said it would keep better that way. The cop informs me that it's illegal to be carrying an unlabled bottle of "drugs" in my car. He says it's also illegal to own "potential drug paraphenalia" unless I can prove at all times that I'm useing it for a legitimate reason, such as nicotine delivery. He makes me get out and perform a sobriety test. Brethylizer, walk this line, the whole nine yards. He wants to know my experience level with --other smokables--, if I own a hookah, have I been to any parties lately, where I got my paraphenalia. The only thing he DIDN'T ask was the color of my underwear! By the end of all this, I was pretty much freaking out. I cried a little, and swore up and down that it was only just nicotine, I've never done drugs, I just smoke pipe and I'm trying to quit, please please please don't arrest me I didn't do anything wrong!

Eventually, he let me go. He made me pour out all the e-juice in my bottle and clearomizer (which was difficult, but possible), but he did let me off with a warning. He said that next time it happens, I might not be so lucky. If I got a "nasty cop" I would get arrested and have drug charges on my record and that I could lose my license. I apologized my rear end off and asked him what I should do to avoid the issue in the future. He said I really shouldn't be using e-cigs, and should go back to smoking my pipe. E-cigs are about to get banned altogether, because they're more commonly used for illegal drugs than anything else, he said, and as long as I'm carrying one I'm at risk of arrest. I thanked him and went on my way.

I'm shaking and really upset right now. I had no idea it was illegal to carry unlabled e-juice in your purse! I thought vaping was totally legal! I'm in Orange County, Florida. Do any of you know more about this? What can I do to stop this from happening to me again? Will I really lose my license if I get caught again? Are e-cigs really used so much for illegal drugs that they're about to be banned? What'll happen after they're banned? Will I get arrested for having used one in the past?

I'm so upset...I've only been vaping for a couple of days, and I really liked it and thought it was a good way to stop smoking. This just feels like such a huge slap in the face. I don't even want to touch my Riva-T right now.

I am completely speechless behind this story I would have either been leaving in the back of his police car or at the very least his badge number. You need to learn to protect your rights.

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
You ran into a cop who is a perfect example of why cops are known as thugs and pigs. Fortunately they're not all like that, but never assume a cop has as much intelligence as a rock. Most jurisdictions turn down applicants who score high on intelligence tests. Fortunately, most cops are NOT like that neanderthal.

MoeGunz

Nov 8, 2010
New York
This is why I'm not a fan of the ridiculous looking PV's that people use. Home? Sure use whatever. When in public I rather use something that looks more like a cig. Say what you want about Blu (I don't use Blu btw), but they are easily noticeable. People are aware of its existence. Now something that looks like it belongs in a surgery room is suspicious. Don't get me wrong the cop was out of line, but I guess I'm saying I rather something public friendly when I'm out. Home I'll use whatever I want.

Then again I'm a black man living in NYC where the most right violating cops are.

cowboy6591

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Liberty, TN
Oh my lord...I just got home. I went to the grocery store, and on my way back, I got pulled over by a cop. What was I doing? Vaping! I was vaping while I drove! So the officer pulls me over, runs my license, and asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm using an electronic cigarette. He says it doesn't look anything like a cigarette. I agree, and explain how it works. He tells me to hit it, so I do, and I smile. Now he tells me it doesn't smell like a cigarette. I agree again. Isn't it nice? (I'm vaping RY4) So then he wants to see the bottle of liquid I'm putting in it. I pull it out of my purse and show it to him. It's unlabled, because it's the little needle-tipped bottle that came with my kit. The labeled bottle of juice is in my fridge, because the package said it would keep better that way. The cop informs me that it's illegal to be carrying an unlabled bottle of "drugs" in my car. He says it's also illegal to own "potential drug paraphenalia" unless I can prove at all times that I'm useing it for a legitimate reason, such as nicotine delivery. He makes me get out and perform a sobriety test. Brethylizer, walk this line, the whole nine yards. He wants to know my experience level with --other smokables--, if I own a hookah, have I been to any parties lately, where I got my paraphenalia. The only thing he DIDN'T ask was the color of my underwear! By the end of all this, I was pretty much freaking out. I cried a little, and swore up and down that it was only just nicotine, I've never done drugs, I just smoke pipe and I'm trying to quit, please please please don't arrest me I didn't do anything wrong!

Eventually, he let me go. He made me pour out all the e-juice in my bottle and clearomizer (which was difficult, but possible), but he did let me off with a warning. He said that next time it happens, I might not be so lucky. If I got a "nasty cop" I would get arrested and have drug charges on my record and that I could lose my license. I apologized my rear end off and asked him what I should do to avoid the issue in the future. He said I really shouldn't be using e-cigs, and should go back to smoking my pipe. E-cigs are about to get banned altogether, because they're more commonly used for illegal drugs than anything else, he said, and as long as I'm carrying one I'm at risk of arrest. I thanked him and went on my way.

I'm shaking and really upset right now. I had no idea it was illegal to carry unlabled e-juice in your purse! I thought vaping was totally legal! I'm in Orange County, Florida. Do any of you know more about this? What can I do to stop this from happening to me again? Will I really lose my license if I get caught again? Are e-cigs really used so much for illegal drugs that they're about to be banned? What'll happen after they're banned? Will I get arrested for having used one in the past?

I'm so upset...I've only been vaping for a couple of days, and I really liked it and thought it was a good way to stop smoking. This just feels like such a huge slap in the face. I don't even want to touch my Riva-T right now.

If you line up a knowledgeable lawyer ahead of time that knows the vape community and the laws that are NOT in place yet you could have hung that cop for 40 dollars worth of e juice by breaking one important amendment, that is your inocent till proven guilty. Threatening to arrest for a law that doesn't exist, Abuse of authority in the action of taking up your time with intimidating sobriety tests is illegal. All that cop could do is use the unlabeled bottle for a reason to check your trunk for a gun. The label law is real by the way, it was tied in as a pork belly bill when Water Pipe Bongs for cigarette tobacco where legally called drug paraphernalia IF they are not accompanied by a pouch of cigarette tobacco in plan view. Get a few interviews for future needs sessions with lawyers lined up, they are free consults at first and choose the best one for the job to hire in the future if needed.
I would have headed straight to city hall and filed charges on that cop minutes after that stop. Label or not the burden to prove guilt is on the cop not you.

TheBull

May 1, 2013
Athens,GA
Wow what an a**hole of a cop. Unfortunately it's becoming more and more common for them to abuse the power that (in all reality) we give them in the first place. Had this been me instead of you I would have DARED him to arrest me. I would take great pleasure in using my 1 call to phone my attorney and get the ball rolling on a police harassment suit, an unlawful imprisonment suit, and getting that d**k fired. The best thing you can do is know the laws. Do some research. Law Enforcement has made a habit (at least in my state) of dropping bogus charges on people that they figure dont know the laws so they can make easy money, but it would all fall apart in court. I've dealt with several situations (unrelated to vaping) that ended in my favor in court because the charges were bogus, evidence was gathered unlawfully, or i just had a run-in with a pissy cop havin a bad day that wanted to slap cuffs on someone. 5 cops have lost their badges picking fights with me. What you have to realize is cops have more rules to follow than we do, but the vast majority of civilians dont know what those rules are so theyre easily broken. Do some research, learn the ins and outs of the laws, and you can avoid being victimized by bully cops. It's still nerve racking to deal with them, even scary at times. But if you arm yourself with information you can protect yourself. Keep vaping, and if it happens again stay as calm as you can. DONT dump your juice, you may need it as evidence. If they arrest you, get a lawyer and sue the SH** out of that department. You can start your own hypothetical badge collection too!!

StacyInOkla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Oklahoma
When I bought my first PV the owner warned me in areas in and around OKC if a cop saw me vaping I could get pulled over so they could test my juice. She told me some people put illegal substances in PVs. It only takes one to make it harder on the rest. Instead of making the OP dump her stuff he should have tested it. All it would take is a couple drops in a test kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread