Our Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Oh, I didn't mention the reason for the pet phrenzy? I found out that China doesn't allow import or export of pet birds. So I can't bring Mike to China. Ever. That's why.

I know this is a bit personal, but are you there full-time? As in all year long? Feel free to tell me it's none of my business. :p

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Oh, I didn't mention the reason for the pet phrenzy? I found out that China doesn't allow import or export of pet birds. So I can't bring Mike to China. Ever. That's why.

Oh nooo! He is going to miss you as much as you miss him. I hope he's staying with someone that understands a parrot's needs, more than just food & water.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Unfortunatly, I've found a growth on the lovebird's neck. All I can do is hope it's a benign growth, or something simple like an ingrown feather. But it looks like a freaking third eye on the back of it's head!!! :shock: :evil:

Here's a pic. Tell me that doesn't look like a weird little eye.

3rd eye.jpg

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Oh nooo! He is going to miss you as much as you miss him. I hope he's staying with someone that understands a parrot's needs, more than just food & water.

He's still at my apartment being birdsat by my neighbors. I haven't made long term arrangements yet. Not sure what to do.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
He's still at my apartment being birdsat by my neighbors. I haven't made long term arrangements yet. Not sure what to do.

If you aren't planning on coming back except for short visits, then he needs a new home. Hope you can work out something.

As for your new addition, I couldn't really see anything in that picture. Do they have vets there? And aren't lovebirds supposed to be in pairs to be happy?

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
If you aren't planning on coming back except for short visits, then he needs a new home. Hope you can work out something.
He does need a home, but I'll be coming back eventually and will want him back with me then. He could live another 50 years, what's 5 or whatever.

As for your new addition, I couldn't really see anything in that picture. Do they have vets there? And aren't lovebirds supposed to be in pairs to be happy?
If they are in a pair they won't be interested in bonding with me. Get just one and it will form a much stronger bond with you.

As for vets, not really. Livestock vets, sure, but not so many pet vets, and what there are are dog and cat vets, not avian vets. Parrots are not a common pet here, so no vets for them.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
I didn't realize that about lovebirds, cool. So, I have no idea how visas and things work. Do you come home once a year? How long have you been over there? Are there other Americans/Canadians in the same business or not that you hang out with? Just curious if you & Steve & Drew ever just go have a beer when they are there. (I just derailed my thread, LOL)

slim66

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2010
USA
bumping this off of page 2

well, you derailed it, so I guess it was your job to bump it back on track.:)

By the way, you would make an excellent PI (great work). ;)

Now I will bump you back to the regularly scheduled topic......everyone has such adorable pets, thanks for sharing your photos of them with us.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
I didn't realize that about lovebirds, cool. So, I have no idea how visas and things work. Do you come home once a year? How long have you been over there? Are there other Americans/Canadians in the same business or not that you hang out with? Just curious if you & Steve & Drew ever just go have a beer when they are there. (I just derailed my thread, LOL)

I've been here this trip since the middle of September, with a couple weeks home in January. I can only go home for three more weeks this year if I want the tax breaks for living overseas. There are a couple other Americans who live here more or less full time, and a brit who comes sometmes for a few weeks at a time. And yes, I sometimes meet with others who are just here for a visit, like Drew or Steve.

Siciliansith

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
new york
I'm starting to think it should be WTF, as in WTF was I thinking buying a squirrel? I know birds, not squirels!

I've seen these guys before, in Thailand, and always wished I could have one, but it was a safe wish, one I knew I couldn't really have. Like a monkey. Now here it was, and it was less than $10.

Of course, now that I have it home, buyers remorse is settiing in and that's where the WTF comes in. It's not as cute and cuddly as that one in Thailand, now that the cutsey goggles have worn off. That one was young, with reddish fur and a full and fluffy tail. This one looks older, and more scruffy than fluffy. The tail's actually scraggly truth to tell, but the only other one they had had no tail at all.

And beyond it being marginally cute, what good is it? Am I going to trust it out to pet it? Somehow I don't think the lady I bought it from bottle fed it by hand and taught it to love the human touch. WTF have I done? WTF little potential monster have I brought into my home? Wiki says it eats small birds in the wild. Is my lovebird too big for it?

He is cute, though. :lol: :laugh: :cry:

seriously i had a bad experience with squirls that was user error so FYI. I had a family of squirls living in my attic ( couldnt fix the hole and evict them till spring) and the mother died and the babys started to cry and finally came for food. We gave them water, MILK, and veggies etc.. called the DEC and she almost died when she saw the milk said most wont live. Squirels are lactose intolerent so sad made me feel so dumb.

Sad story but just a note, im sure your smarter with animals than I

Last edited:

Siciliansith

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
new york
OK, ya'll win.
This is my "baby", Buddy
Momma was a Rott, daddy was half shephard and half Lab.

He thinks he is a 110 pound lap dog.
View attachment 39764

sexy rotty needs a a few poodles to get his weight up lol. My baby was rot and sheperd she was a beast on barking she passed recent but she was fun

shooter59

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Central Indiana
Oh yeah, he'd love to have a poodle or two for snacks...Lol

This one is a barker too. If it's outside in sight, he is barking at it.
And when he barks the whole neighborhood knows something is out there...

sexy rotty needs a a few poodles to get his weight up lol. My baby was rot and sheperd she was a beast on barking she passed recent but she was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread