Painful deep breaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
If the doctor is anti vape orientated change the doctor. And yes, go visit a doctor if you are sure that you haven't change anything in your vape style (pg/vg ratio, power, atomizer, nicotine level etc).
It can be some virus you picked up from the air, or it can be anything else. Your body is not to be playing with and if you feel any change, best you can do is ask a doctor.

HotRodCarts

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2015
Illinois
www.vaperholics.com
I started having the same problem a couple months ago after vaping on and off for 6+ years. I tried everything and finally found it was the nicotine I bought from eliquidmart. As a matter of fact I just dumped a gallon of eliquidmart nicotine yesterday. Of course I've sent them several emails with no response and will NEVER buy anything form them again.

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
If the doctor is anti vape orientated change the doctor. And yes, go visit a doctor if you are sure that you haven't change anything in your vape style (pg/vg ratio, power, atomizer, nicotine level etc).
It can be some virus you picked up from the air, or it can be anything else. Your body is not to be playing with and if you feel any change, best you can do is ask a doctor.

It's not been a recent change, I began lung hitting maybe 3/4 months back? Unless it's only just taking affect but other than that nothing has changed, yeah if this persists then I'll get a check for a virus, would you expect the pain to get noticeably worse if it was a virus or could it continue to be subtle without change ?

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
I started having the same problem a couple months ago after vaping on and off for 6+ years. I tried everything and finally found it was the nicotine I bought from eliquidmart. As a matter of fact I just dumped a gallon of eliquidmart nicotine yesterday. Of course I've sent them several emails with no response and will NEVER buy anything form them again.
And this resolved the problem for you? Only I've been smoking the same juice for months and haven't had this problem

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Haha yeah I guess, thank you for that, and also in your guys experience, is it a constant long lasting thing? Like everyday pain or does it come and go having good days and bad days? Or is it just a period of the diaphragm getting used to the expanding?

For me it's a very "come and go" sorta thing. Some days, or even weeks at a time, it's non-existent. Other times it's actually more than uncomfortable and borders on painful.

As other posters suggested though, you should take a visit to the doctor if it persists. They can run some simple tests just to make sure it's nothing serious. At first, I thought I was dying of popcorn lung or some crazy ...., so I went to the doctor and quit vaping and panicked pretty hard. Doctor told me my lungs were super duper fine and suggested the concept of my diaphragm being over-expanded from the vaping.

It seems like, when I do experience the discomfort, max VG affects it far worse, but that could just be me taking bigger puffs (and further over-expanding my diaphragm) when vaping high VG juice.

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
For me it's a very "come and go" sorta thing. Some days, or even weeks at a time, it's non-existent. Other times it's actually more than uncomfortable and borders on painful.

As other posters suggested though, you should take a visit to the doctor if it persists. They can run some simple tests just to make sure it's nothing serious. At first, I thought I was dying of popcorn lung or some crazy ...., so I went to the doctor and quit vaping and panicked pretty hard. Doctor told me my lungs were super duper fine and suggested the concept of my diaphragm being over-expanded from the vaping.

It seems like, when I do experience the discomfort, max VG affects it far worse, but that could just be me taking bigger puffs (and further over-expanding my diaphragm) when vaping high VG juice.

Ah I didn't realise they can literally do some tests, all I got last time I went to my doctor about chest related pains when I used to smoke they literally just pressed into my chest and told me to breathe in, asked me how it felt and blamed it on the smoking straight up, obviously at the time that's what it was but haha

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
a. Go see a doctor.

b. Lung hits and high vg juice can cause "heavy lung" issues. Search Results for Query: heavy lung | E-Cigarette Forum[node]=39

c. I'd guess it's a combo of the lung hits and vg (but refer to a, I didn't stay in a holiday inn express and am not a doctor)

d. It could be totally unrelated to vape, refer to a.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Ah I didn't realise they can literally do some tests, all I got last time I went to my doctor about chest related pains when I used to smoke they literally just pressed into my chest and told me to breathe in, asked me how it felt and blamed it on the smoking straight up, obviously at the time that's what it was but haha

Yeah I mean they probably won't want to do the tests by default but your doctor should be readily willing to do any tests at your request, sorta regardless of their opinion.

I had an x-ray done, took all of about 10 minutes, and figured as an ex-smoker it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some chest x-rays on file. Not to mention I hadn't stood by a microwave that day, so I figured I'd bang out my radiation quota real quick.

Reactions: Headhunter950

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
Yeah I'm pretty sure you're in the same boat as me and a few of my other vaping friends. None of us are particularly physically active, and we're definitely not the types to do any running or heavy-breathing type exercises.

Although, I guess it's a reason to start.

Er.

Another reason (along with having to move up a notch on my belt..)

Not to be anxious, but is it known to happen that vaping over a long period to cause popcorn lung then? Or are they just saying that there's a chance it could

HotRodCarts

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2015
Illinois
www.vaperholics.com
And this resolved the problem for you? Only I've been smoking the same juice for months and haven't had this problem

Yes, after 2 days of switching back to nudenicotine nic it went away. I vaped the NN nic for a month with no problem then tried the eliquidmart nic again and the pain came back the following morning. I would only have the pain in the morning and after 1-2 hours it would go away. I struggled with this problem for a month trying everything. I always vaped max VG and thought that might be the problem so I went to 50/50 and even tried adding distilled water to make my liquid thinner. But it was definitely the eliquidmart nicotine that was causing it. Hopefully the eliquidmart crap didn't do any damage lol

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Yes, after 2 days of switching back to nudenicotine nic it went away. I vaped the NN nic for a month with no problem then tried the eliquidmart nic again and the pain came back the following morning. I would only have the pain in the morning and after 1-2 hours it would go away. I struggled with this problem for a month trying everything. I always vaped max VG and thought that might be the problem so I went to 50/50 and even tried adding distilled water to make my liquid thinner. But it was definitely the eliquidmart nicotine that was causing it. Hopefully the eliquidmart crap didn't do any damage lol

I don't mean to discredit you, but I vape pretty much only nic from NN and I still experience the lung issues with that nicotine.

Not to be anxious, but is it known to happen that vaping over a long period to cause popcorn lung then? Or are they just saying that there's a chance it could

As it is, we still aren't sure what the long-term effects of vaping juices with diketones might be. I mean, to be honest, all the long term effects of vaping are sorta unknown right now. But also, as it is, there are no cases linking vaping directly to bronchiolitis obliterans (popcorn lung). I prefer to be cautious and cut out all diacetyl/AP from my e-liquid. Since I DIY (and research the hell out of my flavorings), this is a bit easier to do than if I bought pre-mixed stuff.

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
I don't mean to discredit you, but I vape pretty much only nic from NN and I still experience the lung issues with that nicotine.

As it is, we still aren't sure what the long-term effects of vaping juices with diketones might be. I mean, to be honest, all the long term effects of vaping are sorta unknown right now. But also, as it is, there are no cases linking vaping directly to bronchiolitis obliterans (popcorn lung). I prefer to be cautious and cut out all diacetyl/AP from my e-liquid. Since I DIY (and research the hell out of my flavorings), this is a bit easier to do than if I bought pre-mixed stuff.

Shoot, I never knew these kind of risks were even out there! Can't even trust companies telling us that they don't use any DA anyway

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
What would be your opinion on this finding then? I'm guessing you vape yourself ,
Thank you for the help and advice btw.
Personally I am not too worried about it, though I usually choose the DX (diacetyl free) flavoring in my diy.

Reactions: zoiDman

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

No confirmed diagnosed cases to date to my knowledge. Hyper-extension of the rib cage will cause pain. Similar to that of mildly bruised ribs. Have experienced it. Yes, it will come and go if not allowed to heal. And if you're pullin' that hard, likely to reoccur. Have a hiatal hernia and that can be a source of discomfort too if irritated by pulling too hard. Still checked with the MD on those occasions. Wise to do. Thankfully things checked out. Since then shortly after I started lung vaping it's calmed down. I'd say over the course of a year. Ease up on the quick draw pulls. Avoid dry ones and chances of coughing. That'll just make things worse if it's soft tissue injury. Have it checked out!

Good luck.

:)

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
No confirmed diagnosed cases to date to my knowledge. Hyper-extension of the rib cage will cause pain. Similar to that of mildly bruised ribs. Have experienced it. Yes, it will come and go if not allowed to heal. And if you're pullin' that hard, likely to reoccur. Have a hiatal hernia and that can be a source of discomfort too if irritated by pulling too hard. Still checked with the MD on those occasions. Wise to do. Thankfully things checked out. Since then shortly after I started lung vaping it's calmed down. I'd say over the course of a year. Ease up on the quick draw pulls. Avoid dry ones and chances of coughing. That'll just make things worse if it's soft tissue injury. Have it checked out!

Good luck.

Good luck.

Thank you, very helpful

Reactions: MacTechVpr

HotRodCarts

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2015
Illinois
www.vaperholics.com

No problem. I wasn't saying that the nic was definitely the problem for you but the eliquidmart nicotine was my problem for sure.
Stop vaping for a couple days and see if the pain goes away. If not I'd go see a doctor ASAP.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been vaping a 70-80 watt ijust2 for about 3/4 months and haven't had a problem,

It's only very subtle mind,

any chance you could just put all the relevant information in the first post.

so you've been vaping 2 years;
but you been vaping over 50 watts for the last 3 months

there's yyour answer..

Reactions: Headhunter950

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
It's not been a recent change, I began lung hitting maybe 3/4 months back? Unless it's only just taking affect but other than that nothing has changed, yeah if this persists then I'll get a check for a virus, would you expect the pain to get noticeably worse if it was a virus or could it continue to be subtle without change ?
I am not trying to push you away from lung hitting, but it can be side effect that began to show up just now. I can't lung hit, especially juices with high VG ratio. After day or two i'm getting weird heavy feeling in my lungs, and my breath comes short. High PG on the other hand produces too harsh TH for me so it's not an option. Try to come back to standard way for couple days and you'll see. If thing get better, try lung hit again. If they get worse again, you can be sure somethin in the juice is not right for you whe you vape that way, so you will probably have to make some adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread