Painful deep breaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
Don't remember ever having this problem before, been vaping for about two years or something, maybe I've been hitting it a bit too hard recently? Seems as if when I take deep breathes the last day or two my lungs/rib cage is aching a little, not unbearable just a slightly uncomfortable noticeable tightness.

Anyone had this before? Perhaps it will just last a couple of days might just be muscle pains irrelevant to me vaping.
If it's vaping related is it anything to worry about?

Any ideas from people who have experienced this? Perhaps cut down how much I'm vaping for a few days or something like that?

Cheers

HotRodCarts

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2015
Illinois
www.vaperholics.com
I don't mean to discredit you, but I vape pretty much only nic from NN and I still experience the lung issues with that nicotine.

No problem. I wasn't saying that the nic was definitely the problem for you but the eliquidmart nicotine was my problem for sure.
Stop vaping for a couple days and see if the pain goes away. If not I'd go see a doctor ASAP.

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
Well for anyone that has similar problems, it's been a while now, basically I eased off for a couple of days and I started again as normal, surely enough my chest pain had come back, not as much when I breathe in but just in general, I have come to understand that the problem is most likely an acid reflux effect, causing heartburn and indigestion, causing pain around my chest area, this is a result of my poor diet, and lack of exercise haha, I drink coffee regularly, smoke my ecig, eat spicy foods and am constantly chewing gum, all relating to a build up of acid in the stomach, symptoms would kick off more after a night drinking alcohol, as I am aware there is a small part of your gastreal system (sorry if my terminology is poor) that separates the acid in the stomach from rising up and causing heart burn etc, all of these effects of my fairly poor diet are more than likely allowing this small part to become uncomfortable and release this acid up through the osophygus, basic acid reflux as far as I'm concerned, the vaping will be contributing with no more significants than the other factors irritating this part that plugs in the stomach acid, so a change of diet and general exercise and becoming fitter with some anti acids will be my next step, using all these irritable factors in low moderation, after that if it all persists then maybe id be looking at GERD being the problem, but it's too early to be thinking anything like that.

I apologise as I should have really looking back have pointed out these other factors such as my diet and stress levels, I just had no idea that they could be the main culprits contributing to this kind of chest pain through reflux, in summary, the ecig side of things is contributing and may not be helping my chest as puffing on it does trigger the pain at times, but no more so than any other factors and so should all be a case of regulating my diet and getting healthier as I continue to enjoy vaping like I was before

Thanks again for all the advice.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Headhunter950. Welcome to the ECF.

I would Definitely suggest that you try cutting back for a couple days and see if things get Better. And if they Don't, then I would schedule a appointment with an MD for a Full Check Up.

Have you recently tried a New e-Liquid/Flavoring?

Reactions: MacTechVpr

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
Thank you, you think it could just be a bit of lung burn then? Nothing too serious? Tbh I felt a bit of tension in my chest after shifting a bunch of heavy stuff at work, had a week of eating some dead spicy food as well so I thought it might be that primarily, but the heavy vaping has seemed to add to it
Not what I meant by lung burn.

When you are exerting a lot of energy, and your muscles require more oxygen, you naturally begin to breath harder. What I mean by 'lung burn', is that feeling you work to get, where your running your .... off breathing like mountains of air in and out, your lungs are getting exercised to the max. Nothing to do with vaping at all.

What I meant was start moving your body, exercise, work that thing , your body that is. The more you do this, the more the fluids will coat your bronchus when drying out, and the more you'll be able to push yourself. Again, nothing to do with vaping.

Just get yourself in better shape!

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
I must admit, logic would suggest if you have been doing something and it's been OK, it does seem strange.

I couldn't tolerate vaping like that - my lungs seem in great shape (compared to smoking) but I have had periods where almost any sort of vaping has been hard work. Mostly around being ill with general respiratory ailments, flu, colds, cough...

Yeah I have been feeling rough recently, it's early motive anyway it's only been a day or two so perhaps it's just a short period thing I'm not too sure to be honest

Reactions: djsvapour

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
I've experienced this. I've come to believe it's a result of your diaphragm expanding more than it's used to. If you suck in your belly and sorta shift your air to the upper part of your chest/puff out your chest, does the discomfort go away?

Out of curiosity (and also to match this situation with a few others I've heard of) -- you don't work out, do you? Like, you don't get any good cardio/heavy-breathing type workouts?

That's exactly it yes, and yes the pain goes away when I do that, and no I don't work out, thank you for the advice/ relation!

Reactions: nyiddle

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
That's exactly it yes, and yes the pain goes away when I do that, and no I don't work out, thank you for the advice/ relation!

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're in the same boat as me and a few of my other vaping friends. None of us are particularly physically active, and we're definitely not the types to do any running or heavy-breathing type exercises.

Although, I guess it's a reason to start.

Er.

Another reason (along with having to move up a notch on my belt..)

Reactions: mudmanc4

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Ah I didn't realise they can literally do some tests, all I got last time I went to my doctor about chest related pains when I used to smoke they literally just pressed into my chest and told me to breathe in, asked me how it felt and blamed it on the smoking straight up, obviously at the time that's what it was but haha

Yeah I mean they probably won't want to do the tests by default but your doctor should be readily willing to do any tests at your request, sorta regardless of their opinion.

I had an x-ray done, took all of about 10 minutes, and figured as an ex-smoker it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some chest x-rays on file. Not to mention I hadn't stood by a microwave that day, so I figured I'd bang out my radiation quota real quick.

Reactions: Headhunter950

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
What would be your opinion on this finding then? I'm guessing you vape yourself ,
Thank you for the help and advice btw.
Personally I am not too worried about it, though I usually choose the DX (diacetyl free) flavoring in my diy.

Reactions: zoiDman

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
No confirmed diagnosed cases to date to my knowledge. Hyper-extension of the rib cage will cause pain. Similar to that of mildly bruised ribs. Have experienced it. Yes, it will come and go if not allowed to heal. And if you're pullin' that hard, likely to reoccur. Have a hiatal hernia and that can be a source of discomfort too if irritated by pulling too hard. Still checked with the MD on those occasions. Wise to do. Thankfully things checked out. Since then shortly after I started lung vaping it's calmed down. I'd say over the course of a year. Ease up on the quick draw pulls. Avoid dry ones and chances of coughing. That'll just make things worse if it's soft tissue injury. Have it checked out!

Good luck.

:)

No confirmed diagnosed cases to date to my knowledge. Hyper-extension of the rib cage will cause pain. Similar to that of mildly bruised ribs. Have experienced it. Yes, it will come and go if not allowed to heal. And if you're pullin' that hard, likely to reoccur. Have a hiatal hernia and that can be a source of discomfort too if irritated by pulling too hard. Still checked with the MD on those occasions. Wise to do. Thankfully things checked out. Since then shortly after I started lung vaping it's calmed down. I'd say over the course of a year. Ease up on the quick draw pulls. Avoid dry ones and chances of coughing. That'll just make things worse if it's soft tissue injury. Have it checked out!

Good luck.

:)

Thank you, very helpful

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been vaping a 70-80 watt ijust2 for about 3/4 months and haven't had a problem,

It's only very subtle mind,

any chance you could just put all the relevant information in the first post.

so you've been vaping 2 years;
but you been vaping over 50 watts for the last 3 months

there's yyour answer..

Reactions: Headhunter950

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Don't remember ever having this problem before, been vaping for about two years or something, maybe I've been hitting it a bit too hard recently? Seems as if when I take deep breathes the last day or two my lungs/rib cage is aching a little, not unbearable just a slightly uncomfortable noticeable tightness.

Anyone had this before? Perhaps it will just last a couple of days might just be muscle pains irrelevant to me vaping.
If it's vaping related is it anything to worry about?

Any ideas from people who have experienced this? Perhaps cut down how much I'm vaping for a few days or something like that?

Well it's been a month bro and we're all in suspense. Hope you're feeling better and found that PG/VG balance point.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: skoony

Headhunter950

Feb 22, 2016
Hi Headhunter950. Welcome to the ECF.

I would Definitely suggest that you try cutting back for a couple days and see if things get Better. And if they Don't, then I would schedule a appointment with an MD for a Full Check Up.

Have you recently tried a New e-Liquid/Flavoring?

Thank you, and no I've been vaping the same liquid, same setup for months now, pretty standard stuff, I was vaping proper heavily the other day on a reasonably burnt out coil, perhaps I've just caused a little tightness in the lungs, but if not then they may be a bit inflamed? Just wondering whether any problems like this can arise from vaping and if it isn't unheard of that this kind of feeling is something to worry about from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread