Panic and Fear, Don't Worry, Keep Calm and Vape On

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I think you might have missed my point. I'm well aware of how to DIY... I just suck at it. Unless my favorite vendors' revealed their recipes and gave an exact list of ingredients, ratios, the names of the manufacturers of said ingredients, as well as a "Step 1, do this. Step 2, do this," etc., I'll NEVER be able to recreate the juices I've come to love so much.

And yes, to anyone suggesting it, I have multiple tools, apps, and calculators for DIYing ejuice. Every time I've tried, they sucked.

I have my favs too that I can't even figure out what flavorings they're using let alone duplicate them. I'm hoping that if things go south they'll sell that mixed flavoring and just say how much base to put it in or just sell it zero nic with some masked direction for a PC or VG nic amount to add. Hey, I have to hope... the other option is too dismal and causes panic attacks.;)

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
I have my favs too that I can't even figure out what flavorings they're using let alone duplicate them. I'm hoping that if things go south they'll sell that mixed flavoring and just say how much base to put it in or just sell it zero nic with some masked direction for a PC or VG nic amount to add. Hey, I have to hope... the other option is too dismal and causes panic attacks.;)

I agree with you (the part I bolded). Isn't that the weirdest thing?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
If they ban the Internet Sales I'll be out of luck because I only have 2 stores near me... A local shop full of uneducated people selling a lot of fake stuff and a Volcano mall kiosk... I wouldn't survive long without decent juice :(

You have 2 and I have ZERO closer than a 5 hour drive ;)

We will manage somehow. :)

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I can just see us all vaping 0 nic juice with nicotine patches stuck to our backsides....lol

When I first started vaping at the end of March I heard about the deeming regs that were supposed to come down in April. I panicked. I mean serious full tilt panic.

Right then I started my plan to stock up on things I wouldn't be able to do for myself like attys. I picked up Mechs and Rebuildables.

I learned to DIY. I didn't even bother with buying juice. After my first few orders of juice I just started using my own homemade so I never got a taste for designer juice. I CHOSE to reduce my nic levels. I went from 12mg to 1mg now. I could do zero now if I had to.

What I have been watching is what hardware the online shops are clearing out. SO many are dumping thier stock of cigalikes. Makes me wonder if they know something about how it is going to go on hardware.

I am also looking at the big name new entries to the market. PLAYBOY is doing an ego type device. Johnson Creek who does the juice for the Blu has their own line of Ego type devices. If anyone knew anything about what is coming down the pipe it would be Johnson Creek. For that matter I don't see Playboy jumping into a sinking ship AFTER the sink has been announced. Their line was announced shortly after I started vaping when the coming deeming was well known.

Watch the big players people. They won't get caught out if they can help it.

I do admit I found a cigalike that although it aint my favorite thing in the world I could at least cope with in a real pinch (NOT Blu).

The best cure for panic is rational thought and considered planning.

My 2 cents on it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been making my own juice for a while now. I started DIY'ing while I still had great pre-mixed juices to vape, but I never tried to reproduce those. Yes, I took my favorite flavors as a starting point in determining what I would try first. But I never did get why I would not just start from scratch and see what I could come up with. I'm kinda like that when I cook too. My wife always asks me what I put in it this time. Not everything will work out, but when it does finally come together it's great.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
When I first started vaping at the end of March I heard about the deeming regs that were supposed to come down in April. I panicked. I mean serious full tilt panic.

Right then I started my plan to stock up on things I wouldn't be able to do for myself like attys. I picked up Mechs and Rebuildables.

I learned to DIY. I didn't even bother with buying juice. After my first few orders of juice I just started using my own homemade so I never got a taste for designer juice. I CHOSE to reduce my nic levels. I went from 12mg to 1mg now. I could do zero now if I had to.

What I have been watching is what hardware the online shops are clearing out. SO many are dumping thier stock of cigalikes. Makes me wonder if they know something about how it is going to go on hardware.

I am also looking at the big name new entries to the market. PLAYBOY is doing an ego type device. Johnson Creek who does the juice for the Blu has their own line of Ego type devices. If anyone knew anything about what is coming down the pipe it would be Johnson Creek. For that matter I don't see Playboy jumping into a sinking ship AFTER the sink has been announced. Their line was announced shortly after I started vaping when the coming deeming was well known.

Watch the big players people. They won't get caught out if they can help it.

I do admit I found a cigalike that although it aint my favorite thing in the world I could at least cope with in a real pinch (NOT Blu).

The best cure for panic is rational thought and considered planning.

My 2 cents on it.

Ovale came out with the Emini and Joye the Eroll cigalikes.... both proprietary. I think that's a good sign. And Joye came out with the new Ego CC with its unique proprietary design. So the big players are still sinking money into innovation.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
There's no way the govt (any of its arms) is going to give up a way to rake in the cash. Ban nic sales anywhere... make it hard to get... and they loose... MONEY! And without the hardware who's going to buy nic? So I figure what we need will still be around just in their approved forms and very pricey with "sin" taxes. If I'm wrong, they're more dim witted than I thought they were to give up such a cash cow. But, I suppose, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I think you might have missed my point. I'm well aware of how to DIY... I just suck at it. Unless my favorite vendors' revealed their recipes and gave an exact list of ingredients, ratios, the names of the manufacturers of said ingredients, as well as a "Step 1, do this. Step 2, do this," etc., I'll NEVER be able to recreate the juices I've come to love so much.

And yes, to anyone suggesting it, I have multiple tools, apps, and calculators for DIYing ejuice. Every time I've tried, they sucked.
I'm having trouble too - the only one I've been able to make right is menthol. Luckily, menthol is my ADV. So that is a huge savings and super easy to do. But trying to make complex flavors like Caramelnut Mocha - OMG complete fail.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I'm having trouble too - the only one I've been able to make right is menthol. Luckily, menthol is my ADV. So that is a huge savings and super easy to do. But trying to make complex flavors like Caramelnut Mocha - OMG complete fail.

The only one I have NOT tried to do for myself is the Menthol. TO this day it is the only juice I buy. GO figure.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
As a vaper, I've found my ADV's.

I could never recreate Honey Pearry, Black Pompom, Boba's Bounty, Eastwood, Torque 56, Tribeca, Legend, Dragon's Fire, Peach, I could never ever recreate those without a Walter White.

And I have no Walter White. I have no way of recreating those flavors 110%. That's why banning online sales of juice scares me.

Also, think of all the vendors who have web-stores only. Some people have managed to make a living this way. Ban online juice sales, all that goes away too, and once again, our country devastates its own people.

Ok, methinks it's bedtime.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I am noticing what I can only descibe as an atmosphere of panic and fear and perhaps anger occuring in the shadow of the upcoming/expected FDA regulations.

I have seen at least one vape shop raising prices on e-liquid citing this.
I am seeing people preparing and positioning themselves for it.
I am hearing rumors from people who claim to have the inside scoop on what the FDA is going to or not going to do. I don't know how true they are, maybe they are onto something.

Some things I am not worried about. As a e-liquid DIY'er I'm not worried about being able to obtain flavor concentrates, simply becuase these flavors are used in many different applications and fields (cooking, candy making, etc).

Likewise, I don't see the FDA being able to do anything about PG and VG, for the same reasons.

Mod batteries, no problem there, because they are used in flashlights and lots of other devices.

But one thing I am concerned about though is being able to get my nicotine base for my mixing. I know Wizard Labs is generally out of stock alot of times, but I can't seem to get anything from them anymore. Could people be hoarding the stuff in preparation or expectation of the deeming regulations?

Not sure who came up with the "Keep Calm and Vape On" refrain (whether it was Grimm or someone else), but I find this to bring me some measure of comfort. :vapor::2cool:

This went on for years on the stuff your own/roll your own forums, after the Obama tax on cigarettes took effect and and the RYO/SYO community skyrocketed. Every week there was a new panic; people bought veritable bales of tobacco. Nothing happened, other than some online shops ended up requiring age verification and some people in certain states got tax bills for buying tobacco out of state. I no longer bought online, after moving to a location which has DIY tobacco shops, yet was still able to buy organic rolling tobacco at a low price.

It seems many are in full blown panic mode. I imagine their kitchens look like those on the extreme couponer shows, but instead of 800 packs of Tampax and enough Ramen noodles to supply a medium-sized college dorm, they have gallons of nic and jugs of flavorings stashed in every nook and cranny.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
This went on for years on the stuff your own/roll your own forums, after the Obama tax on cigarettes took effect and and the RYO/SYO community skyrocketed. Every week there was a new panic; people bought veritable bales of tobacco. Nothing happened, other than some online shops ended up requiring age verification and some people in certain states got tax bills for buying tobacco out of state. I no longer bought online, after moving to a location which has DIY tobacco shops, yet was still able to buy organic rolling tobacco at a low price.

It seems many are in full blown panic mode. I imagine their kitchens look like those on the extreme couponer shows, but instead of 800 packs of Tampax and enough Ramen noodles to supply a medium-sized college dorm, they have gallons of nic and jugs of flavorings stashed in every nook and cranny.

Nope one tackle box for attys, coils, wick, wire, driptips etc

Another smaller box for PG, VG, Nic and flavorings

Thats it folks :) I don't even have nic in the freezer.

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
One last question that has been floating in my mind: how come all those people making holistic herbal pills can get away with it without FDA approval, and we can't? Ok, Ginko Biloba isn't nicotine, but companies pumping out that holistic nonsense aren't going away. Why not target them?

Because those companies aren't selling the evil tobacco. There are no media blitzes about the evils of what they are selling. There is no public out cry about their products. There are no 'dot orgs' making money 'trying' to stamp them out. Those companies make sure that there all sorts of disclaimers on what they sell (read the small print).

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
One last question that has been floating in my mind: how come all those people making holistic herbal pills can get away with it without FDA approval, and we can't? Ok, Ginko Biloba isn't nicotine, but companies pumping out that holistic nonsense aren't going away. Why not target them?

because the regulation behind vitamins and supplements says you cannot falsely claim you product will have some magical benefit.

pay attention you will see the labels are very very carefully worded to "imply" yet not guaranty anything, followed by the famous disclaimer:
this product is not intended to treat or cure diseases and the following statements have not been proven or endorsed by the FDA.

Quite simply they are telling you in not so plain language "this product hasnt actually been proven to do squat"

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I've just planed for the worse and hope for the best is all. If push came to shove I could probably vape for the rest of my life without buying a thing. (but I'm in my 70s)

Another benefit of reaching "seniordom" (there are many!): A lifetime supply of nic base will fit nicely in the freezer! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread