Pay it forward with snus..

Status
Not open for further replies.

antman012

May 12, 2011
Phoenix AZ
Ok guys it's time for me to pay it forward..

I have been lucky to get some support from some fine companies from across the pond and my goal is to spread the word about Swedish snus and how it can help you in your quest to drop the cigs.(not e-cigs of course) I quit smoking using a good old ego tank but it did not completely fill the void for me. I first learned about snus and harm reduction on this very site and I feel that I owe ECF my gratitude.

So... If any of the higher ups know someone here on the site that wants/deserves to try some real Swedish snus please post on this thread. I can't send a gift to everyone but I would love to get a few cans into the hands of a few people who have yet to give it a try.

Disclaimer- The sample that you will get is from me as a gift. None of the Awesome tobacco companies:2cool: are involved with this pay it forward project in any way. This project is just me sharing my stock with other ADULT tobacco users on this site. I am not on the site enough to select who should or should not receive a gift so I am relying on some of the vets to PM me and let me know who should get some.

antman012

May 12, 2011
Phoenix AZ
Smokeless snus
Using smokeless snus is acknowledged by several independent health experts to be at least 90 per cent less harmful than smoking cigs..

What is snus?
Snus is not smoked. It is finely-ground moist tobacco that comes either loose or in tiny pouches – a bit like tiny tea-bags – that are placed under the upper lip and held in the mouth for about an hour before being discarded. Snus has a long history in Sweden and amongst Swedish men is now more popular than smoking.

Sweden has the highest consumption of smokeless tobacco per capita in the world and it has been found there that as snus use has increased, cigarette consumption has fallen. More than 25 per cent of men in Sweden use snus regularly, while fewer than 15 per cent smoke. Long-term studies have shown that Swedish men now have among the lowest lung cancer rates in the world and Sweden's mouth cancer rate is amongst the lowest in Europe.

In manufacturing snus, it is heated in a process similar to pasteurisation. This reduces the formation of nitrosamines, which are chemicals that are potentially carcinogenic and have historically been found at relatively high levels in other forms of oral tobacco, such as some types of chewing tobacco. In 2004, the Swedish National Food Administration Service reported research showing that nitrosamines in Swedish snus had fallen by around 85% over 20 years.

Oh yeah.. And it's very tasty!!

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Antman that's very nice of you. I have sent samples to several people myself. For some it works out and for some not. Vaping alone just doesn't get it for some. I think there are a lot more people using smokeless on the forum than anyone would guess.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

antman012

May 12, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I used to get the good Swedish snus from the cigar shop near my apartment when I lived in Chesapeake. Tried to find it when I moved back to NC. JR cigar outlet only carried the big tobacco brands which are not even comparable. Has a nice clean natural taste to it. I say try it if you haven't. What brand is it?

I have several.. Blue Ocean, Jagarpris, Olde Viking, Odens original, Thunder coola...

Last edited:

John Wayne

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 31, 2011
    NC
    so maybe i shouldnt be throwing out those camel coupons for free snus or is it different?
    It's different, and the same. I used to buy General brand and it's pretty much just tobacco and saline as far as I know. They kept in a small cooler display so that it stayed as fresh as possible and you could taste it. If I had to make a comparison I guess it would be like fresh squeezed lemonade compared to kool-aid. I don't really know the specifics, I'm just speaking on personal opinion, but I'm sure there are plenty of comparison articles out there that get in to more factual, scientific detail.

antman012

May 12, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Basically, the Swedish stuff is time a proven smokeless tobacco that does not cause any real harm. The sweds have studied the crap out of it. Their conclusion? They removed the warning labels from the cans..That's putting it in very simple terms but I hope it gets my point across..

The difference between the Swedish snus and the American snus is quality and safety. The sweds have to use all food grade ingredients and their product is STEAM pasteurized to lower the harmful carcinogens. In Sweden it is used to help people QUIT smoking and not just for times when you can't smoke.

The American brands won't list there ingredients or their manufacturing process. They use tons of sugar(the sweds don't add any) which we all know is not going to be good for a product that sits by your teeth.. Finally, the American brands use a very small amount of free nicotine which is meant to curb your use of cigs but not eliminate it.

The goal with Swedish snus is to give you all the nic you want in a safe delivery vehicle so you can put down the smokes. The benefits of using snus with e-cigs is that it fills that void that is sometimes missing with just an ecig...(MOI's) etc..

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2009
    Central Texas
    I use either General Snus or Stonewall's dissolvables although the Stonewall's does take some time getting used to the flavor. I usually get mine from GetSnus.com, I go through a can of mini's about every 3 or 4 days. It's different than US moist snuff, completely different, no spitting and you can get it in pouches instead of loose.

John Wayne

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 31, 2011
    NC
    I use either General Snus or Stonewall's dissolvables although the Stonewall's does take some time getting used to the flavor. I usually get mine from GetSnus.com, I go through a can of mini's about every 3 or 4 days. It's different than US moist snuff, completely different, no spitting and you can get it in pouches instead of loose.

I'm gonna check out that site. This thread has made me miss the General. Other people reading should jump on those free samples!!!

GIMike

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 15, 2009
    Around OKC, OK
    Not sure I'd ever try that. I know it's probably nothing like it, but it sounds like dip to me :) Maybe that's a mistake on my part but I don't think if I'm the first. This could be a good way to get the idea out there to clear up anybody's train of thought like myself. But I'm happy with my e-cig, not interested personally :)

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 7, 2011
    Utah
    Not sure I'd ever try that. I know it's probably nothing like it, but it sounds like dip to me :) Maybe that's a mistake on my part but I don't think if I'm the first. This could be a good way to get the idea out there to clear up anybody's train of thought like myself. But I'm happy with my e-cig, not interested personally :)

Definitely not the only one who though that. I was in the same boat. It's not the same though. It's processed very differently than dip and as a result nitrosamines are very low comparatively.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2009
    Central Texas
    It's nothing like dip, I puke with dip but have been using snus for a year now. Some of us just don't get everything we need from e-cigs and start craving analogs, so I gave snus a try and it worked. I use whats called the mini-pouch, it sits in my upper lip and I never have to spit because sitting there your mouth doesn't water. I started using it when I was in class and nobody ever knew I was getting my nic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread