Penelope problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JthaBigVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
Florida
Viper, the best way to recieve help is to file a CS Ticket, not make a phone call, and not to email Bruce.

----That goes for everyone...

Our phone line is reserved for emergency situations only, as there is so much to be done Bruce and I cannot unfortunately spend several hours a day talking on the phone and neglecting other aspects of the business. Consider this a new-ish policy guys, I will post in my CS Sticky thread...

I am handling the CS and will get to you ticket as soon as I catch up.

Sorry for your wait...

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
You miss the big ring that keeps ceramic housing in place vince? If yes, you can still vape Penelope. Screw hard the ceramic housing on Penelope's base and put the mouthpiece on. Then vape. You will still have liquid control but you will not have the shut off liquid control
I pre-order my Penelope month ago and
Finally got the dam thing didn't have
The upper connection nut. Make a couple
Email to cov no response . I'm about to throw
The dam thang away, useless.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
So after a few days I'm still experiencing one major issue that I simply can't resolve. It's totally random but happens more often then naught.

Ok so in a nutshell I've rebuilt the coils a lot due to trying different things out. Honestly I've probably built a few months worth of coils in the last few days. Anyway this shouldn't be an issue as I assume these things can take a lot of use.

Here is my problem. Probably about 75 percent of the time I simply can't remove the ceramic cup assembly from the bottom part of the tank. Before anyone asks yes, I've put a dab of vaseline on the bottom o-ring. That is not the issue anyway as it happens when the ceramic cup assembly is approximately half way out. It just jams completely. You can't move it back or move it forward. This is happening on two Penelope's. I've had to resort to shop towels and rubber clamps just to move it. There is NO thread damage. There are NO burrs. This ONLY happens when a wick is installed and it only happens on the way back out. My wicks are completely in the channel when I install. My no resistance wires are also in the channel when I install and when I finally get the cup off. The wire is not jamming the threads.

Here is what I *think* is happening. Since the second wick is cut so short it frays a little when the assemblies are being screwed together. Yes I do wet the wick before installing. The reason I think this may be the culprit is because on close examination I found small pieces of shredded wick in the negative channel. A significant amount. As if it was being caught in the threads and then after a turn being deposited in the metal channel. I can't possibly thing of what else it could be because it's not a wire for sure. Without wick and wire there is no problem. Also this only happens on the way out not the way in.

Any ideas? My fingers are stripped to the bone.

billyapd21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2011
New York
Mine is very hard to turn as well, both in the way and the way out. Not to the point of needing tools to remove it but it is very hard. I've only rebuilt mine once so I'm hoping it works itself smooth over time. I heard about changing the oring. Try removing the oring to see if it's easier to screw in and out. I would try on mine but I have a half a tank left. Let me know how you make out.

SuperSonic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
U.S.A.
So after a few days I'm still experiencing one major issue that I simply can't resolve. It's totally random but happens more often then naught.

Ok so in a nutshell I've rebuilt the coils a lot due to trying different things out. Honestly I've probably built a few months worth of coils in the last few days. Anyway this shouldn't be an issue as I assume these things can take a lot of use.

Here is my problem. Probably about 75 percent of the time I simply can't remove the ceramic cup assembly from the bottom part of the tank. Before anyone asks yes, I've put a dab of vaseline on the bottom o-ring. That is not the issue anyway as it happens when the ceramic cup assembly is approximately half way out. It just jams completely. You can't move it back or move it forward. This is happening on two Penelope's. I've had to resort to shop towels and rubber clamps just to move it. There is NO thread damage. There are NO burrs. This ONLY happens when a wick is installed and it only happens on the way back out. My wicks are completely in the channel when I install. My no resistance wires are also in the channel when I install and when I finally get the cup off. The wire is not jamming the threads.

Here is what I *think* is happening. Since the second wick is cut so short it frays a little when the assemblies are being screwed together. Yes I do wet the wick before installing. The reason I think this may be the culprit is because on close examination I found small pieces of shredded wick in the negative channel. A significant amount. As if it was being caught in the threads and then after a turn being deposited in the metal channel. I can't possibly thing of what else it could be because it's not a wire for sure. Without wick and wire there is no problem. Also this only happens on the way out not the way in.

Any ideas? My fingers are stripped to the bone.

What a drag!

Here's an idea you can try when your fingers are healed and no bone is exposed.

Boil some water and submerse the atomizer or just the ceramic housing and ceramic if you can separate them from the base, in the water for about 30 seconds.
Remove the entire piece from the water and proceed to remove the ceramic cup from the housing.

Once the ceramic cup is fully removed take a piece of fine emery cloth, wet it or some wet 1400 grit paper and gently rub over the entire outer of the ceramic cup.

Do this until you are able to freely insert and remove the ceramic from the base when the housing is fully cooled.

This should resolve your issue.

Also.... be careful where you dab your petroleum jelly or lube..... vaseline is an insulator not a conductor and may shield or limit battery flow to connections.

hth

Peace-

SuperSonic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
U.S.A.
Hi Supersonic, I think you misunderstand his post. It is the ceramic housing he is having problems with unscrewing and it appears that his wick is getting caught up in the threads of the base when he try's to unscrew it. I wish I could help Ez, its a strange issue.

My resolve is how I interpreted the post......

Perhaps my resolve will help someone that comes across that specific issue......

I took a shot.......

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
yes, its a very strange issue. I think you are right about the short wick.

I cut it short just because I wanted to cut it together with the wire, so I wouldnt do 2 cuts but only one. I wanted to save 2 seconds by making a new wire. But maybe its not right and someone else will come up with the same issue. So better leave this side of wick big as the other one

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Yea the odd thing is it's happening on both. I believe the threads are fine because without wick and wire there are no problems. I'm rebuilding one now and I'm going to try to leave the negative side wick longer, Odysseus style. I'll still clip the negative wire to the size of the channel but just leave the wick longer on the other side.

I'll see if that makes a difference.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
My resolve is how I interpreted the post......

Perhaps my resolve will help someone that comes across that specific issue......

I took a shot.......

and much appreciated....you obviously have a vast amount of experience with these! In fact I can easily see myself using this method if I have problems removing the ceramic from the housing for cleaning and such.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Yea I'll update once I pull the coil. I'll probably leave it for a few days as I'm pretty happy with the coil itself and its vaping well. I also need time for my fingers to heal.

I think this is user(me) issue as I can't find anyone else having the problem. When I mean the threads are stuck they are stuck. It's not that they are just hard to turn. You aren't going to move them without tools, period.

I'm not sure if others are leaving both sides of the wick longer but it seems to be working out really well so far. If anything it's wicking better and not flooding.

Edit: I'm thankful that I've been able to avoid damage the Penelope's so far. Luckily a set of rubber clamps and the pieces wrapped in expensive mico fiber cloths has avoided damage to everything.

Viper2377

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
Plainfield, NH
Viper, the best way to recieve help is to file a CS Ticket, not make a phone call, and not to email Bruce.

----That goes for everyone...

Our phone line is reserved for emergency situations only, as there is so much to be done Bruce and I cannot unfortunately spend several hours a day talking on the phone and neglecting other aspects of the business. Consider this a new-ish policy guys, I will post in my CS Sticky thread...

I am handling the CS and will get to you ticket as soon as I catch up.

Sorry for your wait...

Sure thing..Went to COV and dropped a ticket! Thanks guys..no big deal as I have one up and vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread