Penelope problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacker

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
USA - Honolulu, HI
So after a few days I'm still experiencing one major issue that I simply can't resolve. It's totally random but happens more often then naught.

Ok so in a nutshell I've rebuilt the coils a lot due to trying different things out. Honestly I've probably built a few months worth of coils in the last few days. Anyway this shouldn't be an issue as I assume these things can take a lot of use.

Here is my problem. Probably about 75 percent of the time I simply can't remove the ceramic cup assembly from the bottom part of the tank. Before anyone asks yes, I've put a dab of vaseline on the bottom o-ring. That is not the issue anyway as it happens when the ceramic cup assembly is approximately half way out. It just jams completely. You can't move it back or move it forward. This is happening on two Penelope's. I've had to resort to shop towels and rubber clamps just to move it. There is NO thread damage. There are NO burrs. This ONLY happens when a wick is installed and it only happens on the way back out. My wicks are completely in the channel when I install. My no resistance wires are also in the channel when I install and when I finally get the cup off. The wire is not jamming the threads.

Here is what I *think* is happening. Since the second wick is cut so short it frays a little when the assemblies are being screwed together. Yes I do wet the wick before installing. The reason I think this may be the culprit is because on close examination I found small pieces of shredded wick in the negative channel. A significant amount. As if it was being caught in the threads and then after a turn being deposited in the metal channel. I can't possibly thing of what else it could be because it's not a wire for sure. Without wick and wire there is no problem. Also this only happens on the way out not the way in.

Any ideas? My fingers are stripped to the bone.

I had a similiar issue with removing the ceramic housing, was that I was unable to remove it with my fingers for installing a new coil. I manage to remove the ceramic housing by unscrewing the top nut a bit, to release the tension, and that seemed to let me unscrew the ceramic housing freely. (the one that inside of the ceramic) I think when I made the adjustments for the center post, I may have overtorqued the ceramic housing squishing the o-ring. Or the o-ring is to fat.

Maybe this will work for you...

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I had a similiar issue with removing the ceramic housing, was that I was unable to remove it with my fingers for installing a new coil. I manage to remove the ceramic housing by unscrewing the top nut a bit, to release the tension, and that seemed to let me unscrew the ceramic housing freely. (the one that inside of the ceramic) I think when I made the adjustments for the center post, I may have overtorqued the ceramic housing squishing the o-ring. Or the o-ring is to fat.

Maybe this will work for you...

Next time it's jammed I'll try to fiddle with the center post inside the ceramic before clamping it and getting it out. Thanks for the tip. If either of them jam again I'll try to do this gently. Worst that could happen I guess is I crack the ceramic but I have a couple spares. Honestly this is the only issue I have with these things. They work flawlessly.

My only other minor complaint would be that they both came with long light scratches running the length of the tank. One has them running the entire length near the wing emblem and the other one has the same type scratches on the side opposite the wings. Someone here posted a picture of the same thing on their tank. I guess it's something from the manufacturing or it wasn't polished very well. I might take a dremel and some polishing compound and try to fix them up. It's pretty minor and only visible if you are looking for it but it's annoying to me :) I like perfection.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
What did you polish them with?

Just a light metal compound? They came like this(meaning I didn't do it). Trust me I'm way beyond .... about this stuff.

I'm the only guys I know that buys a new car, tells them not to wash it because they usually somehow manage to put micro swirls in the clear coat. Then I take it home, prep it myself and spend anywhere between 8-10 hours polishing a new car. That's just me.

When I've had to clamp my penelope's with rubber clamps it's been done through a 20 dollar swiss vax micro fibre extra plush towel. That's how careful I am.

Sacker

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
USA - Honolulu, HI
Next time it's jammed I'll try to fiddle with the center post inside the ceramic before clamping it and getting it out. Thanks for the tip. If either of them jam again I'll try to do this gently. Worst that could happen I guess is I crack the ceramic but I have a couple spares. Honestly this is the only issue I have with these things. They work flawlessly.

My only other minor complaint would be that they both came with long light scratches running the length of the tank. One has them running the entire length near the wing emblem and the other one has the same type scratches on the side opposite the wings. Someone here posted a picture of the same thing on their tank. I guess it's something from the manufacturing or it wasn't polished very well. I might take a dremel and some polishing compound and try to fix them up. It's pretty minor and only visible if you are looking for it but it's annoying to me :) I like perfection.

to aid in preventing damage to the ceramic, put your screwdriver, and turn the post bottom, the other screwdriver just holds the nut in place. or you could turn it a little bit with the screwdriver on the nut to it get going, when I was able to move the ceramic housing freely with my fingers, the nut was still on the post, it's similiar to what IMEO does in his penelope assembly video, I forget which one, chunk1 or chunk2, but do it in reverse.

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
to aid in preventing damage to the ceramic, put your screwdriver, and turn the post bottom, the other screwdriver just holds the nut in place. or you could turn it a little bit with the screwdriver on the nut to it get going, when I was able to move the ceramic housing freely with my fingers, the nut was still on the post, it's similiar to what IMEO does in his penelope assembly video, I forget which one, chunk1 or chunk2, but do it in reverse.

This worked. I just took one apart and same thing it was JAMMED. Completely jammed right at the top of the threads. Almost had the ceramic assembly out of the bottom of the tank and it seized completely. Took a tiny screw driver and gave the positive post a slight 1/4 turn to loosen it and it completely released everything. It was instant relief and at that point a 2 year old could have unscrewed it.

So my theory:

The washer on the bottom of the post gets pretty squished if you are using a ProVari because you need to get the post out a bit to get good air draw. On the way back out because of the o ring being squished down it spins the positive wire nut all the way open. Once the positive wire nut is all the way off the threads it creates upwards pressure against the threads and completely jams them. I guess I need more vaseline on the o ring or a slimmer o ring.

Either way the screw driver is a life saver. A quick 1/4 turn completely releases all pressure and makes it come out with ease.

JthaBigVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
Florida
heh,

I actually cut down a screw driver's head to shape it to fit inside the ceramics... made it pronged and everything.. so the head of it looked like this |\/| :p

Works like a charm! Used a dremmel and cutting disk.

I also thinned down the head too so that it is a nice easy to fit turn..

I will tell you what.. best idea ever! From an assembly point of view...

Maybe an idea for thoes of you with the tools to spare?

SuperSonic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
U.S.A.
heh,

I actually cut down a screw driver's head to shape it to fit inside the ceramics... made it pronged and everything.. so the head of it looked like this |\/| :p

Works like a charm! Used a dremmel and cutting disk.

I also thinned down the head too so that it is a nice easy to fit turn..

I will tell you what.. best idea ever! From an assembly point of view...

Maybe an idea for thoes of you with the tools to spare?

Yeah that Dremel (I spell mine with 1 M in the middle) is a handy tool.....

Oh... and BTW J .... you used the word head 3 times in your post..... what's up with that?

LMFAO.....

Sorry man.... sleep deprivation will do that to ya' - I couldn't resist.

I just made a phone call to make an appointment for tomorrow with someone .... and I just wound up laughing through my entire response.

1 1/2 hrs of sleep in 2 days will do it..... It's fun though....

Peace-

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Why are you guys using screwdrivers? To tighten or loosen the nut?No need guys you can still loosen and tighten it without causing any finger threading. U can use a napkin or paper towel to tighten and loosen that nut with little work and no need for a screw driver. I use this method to tighten it to tank so I don't finger thread.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Why are you guys using screwdrivers? To tighten or loosen the nut?No need guys you can still loosen and tighten it without causing any finger threading. U can use a napkin or paper towel to tighten and loosen that nut with little work and no need for a screw driver. I use this method to tighten it to tank so I don't finger thread.

No no ... This is for something different.

This is to remove or losen the positive post. Not the nut. This has resolved the strange issue I have of ceramic assembly not threading out of the bottom of the tank. IF it jams all I have to do is give the positive post a tiny little turn with a screw driver and it releases the threads. It's weird but it works!

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
No no ... This is for something different.

This is to remove or losen the positive post. Not the nut. This has resolved the strange issue I have of ceramic assembly not threading out of the bottom of the tank. IF it jams all I have to do is give the positive post a tiny little turn with a screw driver and it releases the threads. It's weird but it works!

I should have rephrased yes I meant the positive post as well. I am able to remove it even when its stuck with paper towels and without threading my fingers. Ill see if I can record something today since I have to clean out my Penelope and rebuild my coil.

Jojobo

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Northeast USA
Drop a of couple ticket at cov. Never get
Any reply back yet. They must be so busy.

It took a little while for them to get back to me as well...I had a chipped ceramic. They sent me a new one and a new wire with it. I think they are backed up....be patient...they will take care of you... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread