Penelope question

Status
Not open for further replies.

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
I just recieved my penelope and as I was wrapping the coil andtucking the nr under the positive pin I broke the nr wire. I dont have any spare nr as this is my first rebuildable. would it be possible to use some 32ga kanthal a1 from + to - ? is there anything that would be terrible about doing it this way ?

I am so anxious to vape this thing and I cant find a source locally for buying silver or nickel wire. Any thoughts?

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Yea it's not going to work very well. You will essentially have resistance wire in your channels doing it that way.

It will be an extremely high resistance coil and it will heat up your entire penelope very hot. It also won't vape very well if at all.

If what I understand is correct that you want to use resistance wire going down the ceramic channels instead of no resistance wire.

Someone else here did that by accident and couldn't figure out why their penelope was super hot and not vaping at all.

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
If you have a local Micheal's craft store they have silver wire that will work... check with any local craft or bead shop.... Also check eBay & Twisted Jewels.com for NR silver wire... Twisted Jewels is the cheapest and free shipping on orders over $20... but if you must have it today than your craft store's or bead shop's will be the way to go till ordered supplies arrive...

Last edited:

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
Yea it's not going to work very well. You will essentially have resistance wire in your channels doing it that way.

It will be an extremely high resistance coil and it will heat up your entire penelope very hot. It also won't vape very well if at all.

If what I understand is correct that you want to use resistance wire going down the ceramic channels instead of no resistance wire.

Someone else here did that by accident and couldn't figure out why their penelope was super hot and not vaping at all.

SOB. this sucks. Boy I wish sometimes god had gifted me with a bit more manual dexterity instead of the hamfisted gorilla I feel myself to be.

Oy.

Thanks Ez

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
If you have a local Micheal's craft store they have silver wire that will work... check with any local craft or bead shop.... Also check eBay & Twisted Jewels.com for NR silver wire... Twisted Jewels is the cheapest and free shipping on orders over $20...

Hey thanks Mr K!

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hey thanks Mr K!

No problem and good luck... try to find true silver wire not silver plated wire... if you have a bead shop they will have better silver wire cause nobody wants green skin... and in a Michaels it will be around the beading section but read the label this is the biggest pain about finding it at Michael's because a lot of it is silver plated... typically most people like to use 30g .999 pure silver dead soft wire.... which should give you a decent grasp of size... half hard silver works but is more difficult to twist and usually must be done with pliers...

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
SOB. this sucks. Boy I wish sometimes god had gifted me with a bit more manual dexterity instead of the hamfisted gorilla I feel myself to be.

Oy.

Thanks Ez

Don't be too hard on yourself. I won't even relate my own personal saga with the Penelope over the first few days. It was beyond embarrassing.

The learning curve is very quick. You will be an expert in no time.

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
try jewelery supply shops as well.
also depending where broke can you flip it around and use long side to tie to nut.

HEHEHE I never have it that easy. I cut the negative end first. I did find some silver wire. it is way to big, like 24ga but it will suffice til my stuff comes in. Do you all have to closde your juice control down when you refill ? Mine seems to flood the 2 times i have refilled it so far.

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
yes.and if i close top too fast i flood also.

Hmm good to know i will try to keep an eye on it for filling practices. I was told to grab a penelope when debating wether to buy it that they would go real fast. I purchased it and within a short time later .... bloop their gone. I wanted a stealth to go with it but they were out. SO i bought a vmax. What a disappointment that thing is.

Go greek or go home in that case. Shoulda saved the $100...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread