Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
this is obviously just MY pet peeve but I’ve had it since I was a noobie looking for help...

It’s not helpful when someone esp a noobie comes here to ask for help with their coils/atty and everyone chimes in about building their own coils and how much better they are & how much money they’ll save etc etc etc...Then a long list of tweets about which RTA would be good for a beginner. Blah blah blah

So cool you build your own coils. Awesome. But not everyone wants to or can. Or are just starting out and are stressed enough.

So instead try helping with their questions. If they’re interested in building they’ll be reading about RBAs eventually unless they live under a rock and then they will be asking about building.

Rant over. Flame away.

BTW I LOVE building my own coils but I also LOVE my drop in coil tanks too.

:shock:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I take the point, of course. When so responding, I do try to offer suggestions within the skill/cash limits of the OP. I did so just today, forget which thread: I told somebody switching to the CCell coils in their Vaporesso would probably increase both flavor and coil life. That said, the right answer to most of those problems really is building, or changing juices which many OPs are not interested in doing. I should not say so? The bottom line is, coil wires burn out and wicks gunk over time. This is as inevitable as sunrise. I don't belittle those choosing to use drop ins, but it's a simple fact this limits one's possibilities to obtain coil/wick combos suited for the exact regimen the user needs. CCells are great; a big improvement on drop-in wire and wick combos. But they're not adjustable for tenths of an ohm, and they can't be conveniently dry burned and rewicked. And that's truth as well. I'm not disagreeing with you, @Fidola13 You're right: when somebody just says "start building" and says nothing more, that's not a lot of help. But I don't think it's unreasonable to do what you can within the drop-in regimen and then observe there's a better solution out there.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So you're saying those of us who haven't used a pre-built in many years should just stay away from those kinds of questions?

That's mostly what I do, 'cause I don't have a dang clue why someone might not be getting good results from the latest octo-mesh CloudZ head. :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I take the point, of course. When so responding, I do try to offer suggestions within the skill/cash limits of the OP. I did so just today, forget which thread: I told somebody switching to the CCell coils in their Vaporesso would probably increase both flavor and coil life. That said, the right answer to most of those problems really is building, or changing juices which many OPs are not interested in doing. I should not say so? The bottom line is, coil wires burn out and wicks gunk over time. This is as inevitable as sunrise. I don't belittle those choosing to use drop ins, but it's a simple fact this limits one's possibilities to obtain coil/wick combos suited for the exact regimen the user needs. CCells are great; a big improvement on drop-in wire and wick combos. But they're not adjustable for tenths of an ohm, and they can't be conveniently dry burned and rewicked. And that's truth as well. I'm not disagreeing with you, @Fidola13 You're right: when somebody just says "start building" and says nothing more, that's not a lot of help. But I don't think it's unreasonable to do what you can within the drop-in regimen and then observe there's a better solution out there.
You are a rare bird that gives an actual look at how learning to buil can improve the experience. You also do not belittle the ones who simply don't want to be bothered. I do object to people who insist that one builds once the poster has made clear they do not want to go down that road right now. Some just want an answer to their question.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
So you're saying those of us who haven't used a pre-built in many years should just stay away from those kinds of questions?

That's mostly what I do, 'cause I don't have a dang clue why someone might not be getting good results from the latest octo-mesh CloudZ head. :)
There can be benefits in such an attitude. I aspire to surly curmudgeonhood myself, one of these days.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

There are some good stock coils these days. If I was still working two jobs seven days a week I doubt I would be building.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I understand that frustration. To me it's interesting to see the fragmented but wide knowledge base here on ECF. I've been here five year. I know my style and it's pretty narrow - mech mods with a 1.25ish coil on a 4 year old atty. When people answer question about a mod with more settings than the starship Enterprise and an atty build more complicated than said starships warp drive, they usually lose me. At the same time, I don't know a lot about the easier systems like pods so I don't answer those questions either. ecig companies are putting out so many different options its mind twisting. Personally, I'm glad so many pod systems are appearing. Just point a newbie at pod system. Easy to refill, pop in the cartridge and vape. Done. No settings, not a lot to learn, just a pretty satisfying vape. We forget most people don't want a hobby, they want a replacement for cigs. Pods and AIO's fill that need.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There are some good stock coils these days. If I was still working two jobs seven days a week I doubt I would be building.
Well, I spend less time building and mixing than I used to spend running to the store for smokes, and I bought my smokes by the carton, not the pack. :D

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Well, I spend less time building and mixing than I used to spend running to the store for smokes, and I bought my smokes by the carton, not the pack. :D
You are a master, my building is not yet at the plug and play level unless I am using prebuilt (which I am quite fond of).

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yep, which is one reason I don't visit the new members forum very often. I always try to answer the questions the OP has, not tell them what I use or where they will end up being. I still remember what its like to be new and know how uneducated I was about vaping then, 8 years ago, I can only imagine with todays varieties of vape gear just how overwhelming it must seem to new vapers. I also think that when/if they get the the help needed they tend to stick around instead of one question and never return. I have been see lots of one question and gone, never to return. They are being scared off, imo

Thanks for the post Sara. This subject does not come up enough-- also my opinion.
:)

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I read those threads so I have an idea what to say if I'm ever asked. I haven't used any premade coils in a long time and I'm pretty clueless on the topic.
I'm all for new folks using the easiest stuff . It's the new guys who build a .04 coil and wonder why their mods getting hot that I like to pounce on. :D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I understand that frustration. To me it's interesting to see the fragmented but wide knowledge base here on ECF. I've been here five year. I know my style and it's pretty narrow - mech mods with a 1.25ish coil on a 4 year old atty.
I know exactly how you feel. Mech squonker, 0.75-ish, or an ultra-low 0.5 on atties with dual coils. But most of my stuff is only three years old, not four. It's very low maintenance, and I'm completely satisfied with it, so why change?

Personally, I'm glad so many pod systems are appearing. Just point a newbie at pod system. Easy to refill, pop in the cartridge and vape. Done. No settings, not a lot to learn, just a pretty satisfying vape.
The question is, which one? The only pod system I ever tried was the Juul when it first came out, but I decided it wasn't for me.

We forget most people don't want a hobby, they want a replacement for cigs. Pods and AIO's fill that need.
OK, but conversely, we should not discourage the hobby aspect. I think there's a strong correlation between becoming involved with vaping as a hobby and success in putting down the cigs.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You are a master, my building is not yet at the plug and play level unless I am using prebuilt (which I am quite fond of).
No, I'm not. I just stick with simple stuff and don't change it much. I use nothing more complicated than 3 strands of wire twisted together. In fact, I went back to round wire in my dual-coil atties about a year ago.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
No, I'm not. I just stick with simple stuff and don't change it much. I use nothing more complicated than 3 strands of wire twisted together. In fact, I went back to round wire in my dual-coil atties about a year ago.
It would take me a half hour just to twist the wire. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to wrap the tri core parallel wire. I revisit single wire several times a year and it doesn't last a day in an rta before I pull it out and install my go to wire.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Ive seen the same thing here as the OP has noted. Threads get hijacked by people talking about building coils quickly and the OP disappears and the question they asked remains unanswered.
Ive built coils with some success. It isnt hard.
I just want premade drop in coils. I just want to find solid tanks, solid mods and easily obtainable coils that last and then go do things I like to do and need to do.

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
My pet peeve is when new folks come in looking for advice, get tons of it and mostly good, and then stubbornly refuse any of it. Another is the ones who ask truly idiotic questions that make me wonder how they cross the street without getting hit by a car.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
OK, but conversely, we should not discourage the hobby aspect. I think there's a strong correlation between becoming involved with vaping as a hobby and success in putting down the cigs.

Ditto. No statistics, but I know ferdamsure it helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread