Pod Mods: Which One Are You Liking the Most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Anyone tried the eleaf Solo yet? A few reviews on youtube were intriguing, though the paint was coming off a black one. I've seen it priced down to $15 with a five pack of 1.1 ohm coils as low as $5. Tempting, maybe next month.

Considering your affinity of the MyJet, I doubt you'd like the SOLO, its basically the same thing as the iCare Mini from what I can tell.

There is no direct airflow to the coil, its more of a Vaccuum sucction so flavor will be weak compared to the myjet.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Considering your affinity of the MyJet, I doubt you'd like the SOLO, its basically the same thing as the iCare Mini from what I can tell.

There is no direct airflow to the coil, its more of a Vaccuum sucction so flavor will be weak compared to the myjet.
Well that's no good, and it looks like the Eleaf Aster Total I just ordered works the same way, I may just return it. I can't see vaping without air flow through the coil to cool it. Thanks for the heads up.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Well that's no good, and it looks like the Eleaf Aster Total I just ordered works the same way, I may just return it. I can't see vaping without air flow through the coil to cool it. Thanks for the heads up.

No worries, I also love the MyJet but the PODS are so expensive, the iCare Mini was a big disappointment.

Not that it fits your need, but I'll let you know how the Clone Kayfun and Artery Nugget v2 goes. I want the MyJet vape quality in my life, but rebuildable. And the Nugget is so small it might serve my wants well.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
No worries, I also love the MyJet but the PODS are so expensive, the iCare Mini was a big disappointment.

Not that it fits your need, but I'll let you know how the Clone Kayfun and Artery Nugget v2 goes. I want the MyJet vape quality in my life, but rebuildable. And the Nugget is so small it might serve my wants well.
I've already been working to get an equivalent Myjet vape on my kayfun mini V3 clone, haven't tried my V2. To me the myjet coil appears to be around 1.5 mm inside diameter or a little bigger, but not 2mm. The wire size appears between 30 and 32, which at 7 wraps spaced makes it look more like nichrome 80 31 awg than kanthal though according to steam engine for calculating 1.3 ohms I've measured on the Myjet pods. So far in the kfv3 mini I'm getting the best result on a 2mm nichrome 80 at 31 awg, decent flavor but not as good as the Myjet. the 32 awg is too small on a 1.5 mm coil and the vapor not so much. Gonna try 30 awg next at 2 mm 7 wraps spaced maybe both kanthal and nichrome. Yeah I know the claims are the pods are kanthal, but not according to my measurements and steam engine, results fit 31 awg nichrome 80 at 7 wrap spaced 1.5 mm inside diameter results of 1.3 ohms. The kfv3 has a little more airflow and I suspect that small draw tube and narrow coil chamber are the big factors in flavor on the pods.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Nope. And you can rewick and rebuild.

Hope they make a TPD version for UK.
So you have successfully rebuilt the coils and rewicked the Fitt? curious as to what the resistance and coil size is on the original. If it had a tight draw, I would consider it, if I cant do a decent MTL, its a no go for me. It does look very interesting.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
@David Wolf

Obviously there is some fluctuations in a normal coil build, and also the inherent inaccuracy of most multimeters at this low of a resistance could cause some fluctuation so part of the question is, what actual resistance was the manufacturer shooting for. Apart from reviews is there actually manufacturer specs on what the coils should be?

figure the contacts are probably at least 5mm each
LL = leg length
Nichrome80 -30AWG 1.3Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 8.03 wraps
Nichrome80 -31AWG 1.3Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 6.21 wraps

Kanthal -29 AWG - 1.3Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 7.3 wraps

But if they were looking for around 1.0o or 1.1o
Kanthal - 28 AWG - 1.0Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 6.8 wraps
Kanthal - 28 AWG - 1.1Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 7.63 wraps

We'll see what happens, i'll let you know if any of the 3 tanks I ordered work well enough at 20Ws

In regards to the Fitt, I saw someone say it was as restrictive DTL, but I hope thats wrong, and it is in fact rebuilable.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
@David Wolf

Obviously there is some fluctuations in a normal coil build, and also the inherent inaccuracy of most multimeters at this low of a resistance could cause some fluctuation so part of the question is, what actual resistance was the manufacturer shooting for. Apart from reviews is there actually manufacturer specs on what the coils should be?

figure the contacts are probably at least 5mm each
LL = leg length
Nichrome80 -30AWG 1.3Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 8.03 wraps
Nichrome80 -31AWG 1.3Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 6.21 wraps

Kanthal -29 AWG - 1.3Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 7.3 wraps

But if they were looking for around 1.0o or 1.1o
Kanthal - 28 AWG - 1.0Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 6.8 wraps
Kanthal - 28 AWG - 1.1Ω - 1.5mm ID - 10mm LL = 7.63 wraps

We'll see what happens, i'll let you know if any of the 3 tanks I ordered work well enough at 20Ws

In regards to the Fitt, I saw someone say it was as restrictive DTL, but I hope thats wrong, and it is in fact rebuilable.
Good info, thanks. I was using the tab on steam engine that lets you factor in coil spacing dimensions for spaced coils, I think that's why I got 7 wraps of nichrome 31 awg for around 1.3 ohms thus our slight differences. Yes a multimeter on 200 ohm range isn't that accurate, I had to subtract lead resistance. however I also used an eleaf low range coil measurement and the results were similar. I want to try several of the types and sizes on your list.

Reactions: unkuser

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Good info, thanks. I was using the tab on steam engine that lets you factor in coil spacing dimensions for spaced coils, I think that's why I got 7 wraps of nichrome 31 awg for around 1.3 ohms thus our slight differences. Yes a multimeter on 200 ohm range isn't that accurate, I had to subtract lead resistance. however I also used an eleaf low range coil measurement and the results were similar. I want to try several of the types and sizes on your list.

Bonus

I just took my calipers to the wire in one of my coils and measured about 10 times most times it was .25mm a few were .22mm

So it's most likely 30 or 31 AWG like you mentioned

And the spacing was roughly 0.5mm

So assuming 30awg spaced at .5mm 7 wraps 1.5 ID

That puts kanthal at 1.5
And nichrome at 1.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Bonus

I just took my calipers to the wire in one of my coils and measured about 10 times most times it was .25mm a few were .22mm

So it's most likely 30 or 31 AWG like you mentioned

And the spacing was roughly 0.5mm

So assuming 30awg spaced at .5mm 7 wraps 1.5 ID

That puts kanthal at 1.5
And nichrome at 1.1

Excellent detective work. I like the idea of trying 30 awg nichrome in a 2mm or the kanthal at a 1.5 and maybe even a 2mm. I've tried my 31 awg nichrome at 1.5mm spaced 7 wraps 1.3 ohms and it's ok get better vapor and wicking from the 2mm in a KF mini V3 clone. I think in the kayfun though the 31 awg isn't the best setup it just can't mimic the Myjet due to design differences and I think a 30 awg will be better. I just need to find the time!

Last edited:
Reactions: unkuser

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Just my opinion:

Von Erl was the worst. I read that the issues I (and many others had) was a batch issue. I don't know. Mine only worked half the time. The draw would not activate. I can't say I ever had a draw-activated device work as poorly as the Von Erl. But the hits were pretty good when it did work.

For me (with pods), nothing comes close to the Infinite Inone. Larger than other the USB stick type of devices, but a killer MTL! And long lasting coils.

I do love the Myjet, but it is something best for vapers that can finagle a rewick. JUUL is great, but it has issues too. Still waiting on word about the Apollo Brez.

I can't remember half of what I tried right now though. :blush:

Oh, the Pebble is just okay. The Boulder still isn't here.

Edit: the Cync was my best friend for about a month, but that relationship is now totally over. Can't trust him. LOL
Just stumbled across this post and I'm wondering how/if you and the Inone are still getting along?

jcash74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
MN
So do you like the mi one or Fitt more?
I've never used a fitt but I find the mi one to be an amazing device! I'm using it with some mint fill my pod and it works fantastic! The coils last a long time and from what I've read it's even better with joytech aio coils.

I definitely like the mi one better than the icare mini and juul I have.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC

You were right, I absolutely hate the Icare Aster Total. The mod itself is ok, but I had no idea the design was such that the I.C 1.1 coils are designed to have no airflow, it basically heats (and likely overheats) the juice and your suction pulls out the vapor, plus the thing spits. Worst flavor (bland and spotty) ive ever had in a coil. It's beyond me why some people raved about the icare mini and those horrible coils.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
You were right, I absolutely hate the Icare Aster Total. The mod itself is ok, but I had no idea the design was such that the I.C 1.1 coils are designed to have no airflow, it basically heats (and likely overheats) the juice and your suction pulls out the vapor, plus the thing spits. Worst flavor (bland and spotty) ive ever had in a coil. It's beyond me why some people raved about the icare mini and those horrible coils.

MVE came yesterday, fairly loose MTL and flavor is lacking compared to myjet.

So that's no good it is better than the iCare and similar, but not a replacement for the myjet.

I might try rebuilding and seeing if I can get something more satisfactory from it though.

I am also going to try cutting one of my thin DIY juice syringes and seeing if I can thread some tiny screws on it to replace the myjet posts and make it rebuild able

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
MVE came yesterday, fairly loose MTL and flavor is lacking compared to myjet.

So that's no good it is better than the iCare and similar, but not a replacement for the myjet.

I might try rebuilding and seeing if I can get something more satisfactory from it though.

I am also going to try cutting one of my thin DIY juice syringes and seeing if I can thread some tiny screws on it to replace the myjet posts and make it rebuild able

Hey could you take your calipers and measure the diameter of the pins on the base? Not the head of it but the tube part. I'm looking at gold plated minerature tubes online to see if those would work, I found some 1.5 mm diameter ones.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Hey could you take your calipers and measure the diameter of the pins on the base? Not the head of it but the tube part. I'm looking at gold plated minerature tubes online to see if those would work, I found some 1.5 mm diameter ones.

Sure. I'm in Denver at the moment but will try to remember when I get home Monday.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Sure. I'm in Denver at the moment but will try to remember when I get home Monday.

Great. They're likely too large but I could possibly drill out the base hole. Also I think they're played brass so should be easy to crimp the coil wire. Update: I just looked at one of the pins closely, pretty small, maybe 1mm diameter on the tube portion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread