Possible first time Squonk Mod... a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
I've been vaping 6+ years. After the cartomizers became 'extinct', I've been using RTAs on regulated box mods. Recently switched to 'drop in' coil tanks (clearomizers). For me, the flavor is so much better on the drop-ins vs the RTAs. (that may vary with others.) I would like to try a bottom feeding mod- I like the idea of better flavor, and I like the form factor. (I would go with a regulated one, not mechanical.)

My first question- I keep hearing (since the orig Reo days) that drippers or squonkers give the absolute best flavor. Since the actual coil build is the same on a squonk mod as an RTA tank- will the flavor be better than a drop in coil set-up or some where in between an RTA and a drop-in? Anyone with experience with RTAs and cartomizers and squonk mods care to share their flavor comparisons?

Second question- Like 99.9% of vapers- I HATE a leaking mod. That's pretty much a mortal sin for me that will guarantee it will be quarantined. I read a few comments about squonk mods saying 'it won't leak unless you make a mistake like over squonking or laying it on its side." I get the over squonking part is user error, not really the fault of the device, although it does make me nervous making it through the learning curve. But I have to assume that many people carry their squonk mods in a pocket or purse, which means it will be on it's side at some point or another. Can I expect some amount of leakage?

Reactions: stols001

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
If I was you, I buy a BF capable RDA (or maybe More than 1) and just Drip with it to see if you like the way it hits before I bought a Squonk Mod.

Squonking Doesn't make the Hit taste any different. It just make things a Easier by freeing you from Constantly having to Drip into an RDA.

Then if you like it, Great, buy a Squonk Mod. And put the BF Pin into the RDA(s) you already have. But if you Can't get the Hit you want after trying an RDA or two, then you won't have a Squonk Mod to be resigned to the NUVD (Not Used Vape Drawer).

As to Leaking? Well... None of my Squonk Mods or BF RDA's Leak. But about All of them get Seepage under the RDA. And I don't carry a Squonk Mod. I just use them when I'm at home. When I'm out n' about, I use an RTA.
Will probably go this route first- seems like a wise way to proceed.

Alot of great suggestions and advise from everyone- thanks to all.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've been vaping 6+ years. After the cartomizers became 'extinct', I've been using RTAs on regulated box mods. Recently switched to 'drop in' coil tanks (clearomizers). For me, the flavor is so much better on the drop-ins vs the RTAs. (that may vary with others.) I would like to try a bottom feeding mod- I like the idea of better flavor, and I like the form factor. (I would go with a regulated one, not mechanical.)

My first question- I keep hearing (since the orig Reo days) that drippers or squonkers give the absolute best flavor. Since the actual coil build is the same on a squonk mod as an RTA tank- will the flavor be better than a drop in coil set-up or some where in between an RTA and a drop-in? Anyone with experience with RTAs and cartomizers and squonk mods care to share their flavor comparisons?

Second question- Like 99.9% of vapers- I HATE a leaking mod. That's pretty much a mortal sin for me that will guarantee it will be quarantined. I read a few comments about squonk mods saying 'it won't leak unless you make a mistake like over squonking or laying it on its side." I get the over squonking part is user error, not really the fault of the device, although it does make me nervous making it through the learning curve. But I have to assume that many people carry their squonk mods in a pocket or purse, which means it will be on it's side at some point or another. Can I expect some amount of leakage?

If I was you, I buy a BF capable RDA (or maybe More than 1) and just Drip with it to see if you like the way it hits before I bought a Squonk Mod.

Squonking Doesn't make the Hit taste any different. It just make things a Easier by freeing you from Constantly having to Drip into an RDA.

Then if you like it, Great, buy a Squonk Mod. And put the BF Pin into the RDA(s) you already have. But if you Can't get the Hit you want after trying an RDA or two, then you won't have a Squonk Mod to be resigned to the NUVD (Not Used Vape Drawer).

As to Leaking? Well... None of my Squonk Mods or BF RDA's Leak. But about All of them get Seepage under the RDA. And I don't carry a Squonk Mod. I just use them when I'm at home. When I'm out n' about, I use an RTA.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
The advice to try dripping before squonking is sound.

I had the same qualms about leaking. However, not all of the issues are device-related but how you carry and/or store your APV.

For example, I had a Pulse 22 that was (supposed to be) very leak-resistant and nearly impossible to accidentally over-squonk but it still leaked in my pocket (even if vaped until dry) because some of the vapor condensation would get trapped in the port that I had closed off (I like restricted vapes) and would then end up all over my pants pocket if it ever got out of upright position while walking/sitting.

So how you vape/carry makes a difference as well.

Squonking will be great for you if you like dripping but can't be bothered to keep dripping throughout the day. It also has its own learning curve - knowing how much to squonk, when to squonk, and how much you can vape before you need to squonk again (unless you like pulling off the top to visually check the wicks).

Overall I find squonking very enjoyable and much more enjoyable than my dripping experience.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
There's a lot of good advice here. Like the others, I don't have any leaks unless I over squonk. When out and about, I carry a squonker or RTA, but prefer the squonker. I have cracked an RTA glass before in my pocket, but luckily it didn't crack all the way through and flood my pocket. I don't have to worry about that with a squonker. It does take a little planning while out and about even with a squonker. I make sure and not put a freshly squonked squonker into my pocket without taking a few vapes from it first to insure I don't get any weeping from the wicks, especially now that the warmer weather approaches.

I completely agree with @zoiDman first find a RDA with a BF pin that you like. I would stay away from RDAs that have bottom airflow. They will be more prone to oversquonking or wick seepage. Find something that fits your style of vaping and go from there.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I get better flavor from RDAs over both RTA and drop in coils. The way you build and place your coils and cotton can make worlds of difference in rebuildables. You may want to try different builds in yours to find where you like it.

When it comes to leaky bottom feeders, I rarely have any leaking on any of mine. If I am out and about, I do not wet my cotton a whole lot, so that I can vape the wicks dry so there is no chance of leaks. Also, some RDAs are more prone to leaks than others. My wife runs a pulse 22 because it is so hard to get to leak, even when Laying the mod on it's side.

RicRat

Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
SAN ANTONIO
I just got my first squonk mod, Pico Squeeze and a Pulse 22 to put on it.
The pulse has never leaked so far, I get a little juice from around the air holes from popping, but minimal. Nothing out the bottom.
So far I'm loving this setup, only rewicked it twice and gone through about 10 tanks.
Saving for a regulated squonk mod, waiting to see reviews on the new Pulse. Seems like a good deal for the price if it performs well.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
Any leakage underneath an atty can be resolved with an O-Ring. As for rdas that are less prone to leaking. Look for top airflow or a lot less airflow. On my cyclone, hornet, reactor, etc they have tiny 1mm airholes and I can literally squonk and fill up the entire atomizer without any leaks if I wanted.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
RDA is the flavor king, although having tried dripping cartos a few times the flavor was quite good.
when I could get it to work the way I wanted it to.

If you MTL, any 14mm or so RDA will kick out some good flavor in my experience.

I would expect no leakage from a properly running bottom fed set up. maybe some drops from around the bottom of the RDA at times but minimal.

The messiest is filling bottles, changing RDA's, Holding it sideways while the juice well is full o_O

Squonk on!

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Agree with everything posted thus far. The Dead Rabbit SQ and the Pulse 22 are very hard to get to leak, you almost have to work at it, because of the air-flow design. Both are direct-lung type RDAs.

For flavor I use Hadaly, Stumpy, and Origen Little 16 RDAs, which are a bit more prone to leakage, but usually due to over-squonking. There is a minor learning curve but not a deal-breaker IMO, and I do 90% of my vaping with squonkers.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I use both the 24mm rabbit and sq. Never had an issue with leaking. If you are going for flavor I would suggest the sq. I have not had any problems with oversquonking with either. The juice flows in from the bottom and extra juice seems to get sucked back into the bottle. I have had more issues overdripping on rdas. I am new to squonks but used rdas for years. I got a Pulse about 3 weeks ago. It's great for on the go. In fact it has been the only device I use.

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I have the Squeeze/Pulse combo, too. Great setup with zero leakage. I also like the Squeeze paired with a Wasp Nano. That one is also leak-resistant. ANY bottom feeder atty can get your mod and hands wet if you're careless.

Pairing the Squeeze with either the Pulse 22 or the Wasp Nano is a good way to see if you're going to like squonking (odds are good on loving it; that's what I did). Order from Fasttech and your cost is around $30 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread