Problems with Eleaf Pico??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Where's @Mooch at tonight? @Baditude even?
    Yes, the Pico has a decent charging circuit, but it's still not as good, or as safe, as an external battery charger.

I beg to differ. Actually unless your speaking of a high end multibay 2A charger the Pico charges faster than a Nitecore AND since it is encased in METAL it is safer than the cheap plastic tray even the best chargers have.

(I have one that does 2A along with a few battery tests, I rarely use the 2A as I really don't NEED to charge my batteries that fast)

I'd rather have it catch on fire internally than ignite the charger and whatever it is sitting on (or around it).

Recall we are not talking about some $300 mod here. The Pico is a disposable device. USB no longer work? Chuck it and get another one or something else.

Then again - how often has a battery in a Pico vented while USB charging? I thought so.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I beg to differ. Actually unless your speaking of a high end multibay 2A charger the Pico charges faster than a Nitecore AND since it is encased in METAL it is safer than the cheap plastic tray even the best chargers have.

(I have one that does 2A along with a few battery tests, I rarely use the 2A as I really don't NEED to charge my batteries that fast)

I'd rather have it catch on fire internally than ignite the charger and whatever it is sitting on (or around it).

Recall we are not talking about some $300 mod here. The Pico is a disposable device. USB no longer work? Chuck it and get another one or something else.

Then again - how often has a battery in a Pico vented while USB charging? I thought so.
    my external charger always sits in a lipo guard bag, as should yours/everyones

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Charging issues aside, lol...

Check to see that the mod has not been.accidentally put into stealth mode. I've miraculously "repaired" about 6 "broken" mods for folks that accidentally triggered stealth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I discarded a USB cable that had a badly made connector that was grabbing the female connection on the mod and damaged a pico. Phones and mods with built in batteries are charged on board. I charge my mods with replacable batteries on board in the car, at work, and at home. Eventually I might like to have a device or the knowledge to test my batteries to be sure they are in the condition they should be. I also think it's important for people who use replacable batteries to be able to do a watts law calculation so they can determine if their choice of battery has a high enough amp rating for the watts they plan to use. volts X amps = watts. Solve for amps and see if that number is lower than the amps rating of the battery at the advertised cut off voltage of the device. If you can't do that only use exact battery specified by the manufacturer.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    OK, to sum up;
    OP - sounds like a 510 issue, try gently cleaning the connector and ensure the 510 pin isn't jammed down.
    RedRobin - you are talking about a different/non existant device, bow out now.
    Anyone who advocates using onboard usb charging on a removable battery device - Ok, but a caveat that the usb port could get damaged with multiple usage would be nice.
    ...... And now i'm off to charge my batts (externally)....... ;)

Reactions: gerrymi

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I have been told by vendor and have looked it up, you take the risk of over charging which can cause damage or explode. It's written in the manual, so l choose to charge the safe way!!

I don't even have a mod with a USB port!
    Oh-my, what to do ..... what to do! :lol:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Wow...
    Sounds like someone is having a little windup with you all, or is just grossly misinformed... :facepalm:

I charge all my mods that have USB charging through the USB port, the only batteries I put in the Nitecore D2 are from the HOhm Wrecker G2 as it has no charging feature.

Even the Cuboid has balanced charging for the series batteries.

RedRobin

Aug 18, 2016
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Cleaning up

RedRobin

Aug 18, 2016
    • Deleted by classwife

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

I don't think you picked up on what I was saying, but that's alright, as long as you're enjoying what you're doing, it's alright with me.

Just hope you don't mind if I keep on doing what I enjoy doing.
    The mods I use don't have built in chargers, and they work just fine.
    The fact that I don't have a mod with a built in charger is probably a contributing factor to the fact that I've never had a mod die because of a bad built in charger.

OH-and, I don't want a battery inside a metal case where the heat generated by charging can't dissipate.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com

The battery will heat up as it charges and being encased will trap in the heat. Not too good for the battery. If the battery would catch on fire (unlikely for imr/hybrid batteries) the fire will not stay inside the mod, and the results will be worse as the battery is encased (even though there are vent holes). And the charging circuitry in quality external charges is better. Not saying that it's dangerous to charge the battery inside the Pico, but an external battery is better for both the mod and the battery.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Ed_C

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    The battery will heat up as it charges and being encased will trap in the heat. Not too good for the battery. If the battery would catch on fire (unlikely for imr/hybrid batteries) the fire will not stay inside the mod, and the results will be worse as the battery is encased (even though there are vent holes). And the charging circuitry in quality external charges is better. Not saying that it's dangerous to charge the battery inside the Pico, but an external battery is better for both the mod and the battery.

Unfortunately most mods have the vent holes on the bottom with an upwards facing battery/ies. If it's a tight fit, I don't think there's any guaranty that the venting gas, with an expanding battery, will make it to the vent holes. One of the nice features on the Pico is that the battery faces down, away from your face, in the direction of the vent holes.

RedRobin

Aug 18, 2016
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Not Appropriate - Rules

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Congratulations you've hijacked the OP's thread & taken it so far off topic it is of little use.

This thread is about the ELeaf Pico, Aspire does not make the Pico, whatever you interject about your unknown aspire power device doesn't apply or help the OP with his problems with a malfunctioning Eleaf Pico.

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    Congratulations you've hijacked the OP's thread & taken it so far off topic it is of little use.

This thread is about the ELeaf Pico, Aspire does not make the Pico, whatever you interject about your unknown aspire power device doesn't apply or help the OP with his problems with a malfunctioning Eleaf Pico.
    Maybe it's me, maybe not, I've contacted a moderator.

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
    I thought it was universally known that a quality EXTERNAL charger is always the preferred method to charge these types of batteries . Not talking about Lithium based battery packs i should add.

I am no battery expert by any means but everything i have read over the years states the same .

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I thought it was universally known that a quality EXTERNAL charger is always the preferred method to charge these types of batteries . Not talking about Lithium based battery packs i should add.

I am no battery expert by any means but everything i have read over the years states the same .

It still doesn't stop the endless circular debates about it.

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK

It is known by most. But sadly, regardless of the topic, someone will come along and claim they know better. This doesn't bother me directly as I do know better, but it can get frustrating when you know that someone new to this may take this incorrect info as gospel. Luckily in this forum there are plenty of people in the know to correct such claims with truly helpful information.

Reactions: sawlight

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Nor does it stop the countless unwarranted "safety issues" of internal charging followed by over paranoid dribble on how to "safely use" a external one.

eLeaf says external ones can charge faster. Higher charge rates equate to higher battery temperature. High battery temperature is worse than lower battery temperature.

RedRobin

Aug 18, 2016
    • Deleted by classwife

RedRobin

Aug 18, 2016
    • Deleted by classwife

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member