Propylene glycol inhaling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I don't htink it woudl be too much nic- I assume you';re talkign about homemade nic juice that you simmer down in a pot? If so, you're not really gettign much nic out of that- but if oyu really want ot be safe- buy some really low nicotine tobacco to simmer down- I think though you need the PG to produce the vapor- you might get a little fro mjust straight nic juice, but I don't imagine it would be much- but hten again I've never tried.

I'm sposed ot get some PG & will be makin my own smokin juice, but before I add hte PG, i'l try smokin just some nic jucie & see what happens

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
What I think you'll discover is that homemade tobacco liquid (there is no pure nicotine source you can buy; one guy who tried to buy some sold only for commercial industry was reported to Homeland Security and investigated -- it's POISON!) is too thin to make decent vapor. It runs everywhere and produces virtually no vapor. PG and glycerol are used as thickeners and vapor carriers. There is just no other suitable thickener to use with homebrew liquid. If homebrew is cooked to the point that it becomes syrupy, you can kiss your atomizer goodbye after a few puffs.

Keep PG or glycerine at about 80% of the final liquid mix. Homebrew, maybe 25%; extract (mostly PG), maybe 25%; and pure vegetable glycerine or PG, 50%.

eternal

Jun 13, 2008
Let me know how it works out. I hope you can make something we can all enjoy!

Nazareth said:
Eternal- maybe if you tried making your own juice- it might help- there might be somethign in the prefilled Catridges that doesn't agree with us- the Carts have several ingredients besides PG - I've ogt some PG coming and iwll try a mix of just PG and tobacco juice- maybe a dash of flavoring but I'm goign ot be tryign a few different things-

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Jason, you don't need vapor for a nic hit. The Nicotrol Inhaler that Big Pharma sells has a tiny cartridge of nicotine inside what appears to be stubby white cigar. When you suck on it, you can feel the nicotine hit the back of your throat -- hard. There is no vapor or mist. The nicotine molecules are invisible with this inhaler. And Ruyan, among all manufacturers, set out to minimize vapor, while using PG as a carrier. It was a clamor from users demanding "more vapor, more vapor" that set the present rush to create Mount Vapor from each puff.

Still, I think vapor is a very important part of the satisfaction we get from e-smoking. For me, it's the MOST important part. If you think back to when you were smoking cigarettes .. remember how unsatisfactory smoking in the dark was? What was missing? Well, studies were done that said smokers needed to see exhaled smoke to be satisfied. That's what was missing while smoking in the dark.

It's the same with e-smoking. We need to feel, taste and SEE the cigarette experience. Nicotine provides the throat and lung feel, Bickford extracts provide the taste (for me) and vapor makes the "smoke" I need to see.

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
TB I totaly agree with ya that seeing the vapor is a very big part of the smoking experience, but I think I might (might being the key word here) be able to get past not having vapor if I thought that it was conciderably safer, not sure if it would work, (might s*ck as badly as those areos cigarettes) but if there was something out there that seemed safer then I'd be prone to trying it worst case is that I go back to smoking the PG, maybe I'll just boil tobacco and put my head over the pot with a cloth drapped over me:)

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
It's the same with e-smoking. We need to feel, taste and SEE the cigarette experience. Nicotine provides the throat and lung feel, Bickford extracts provide the taste (for me) and vapor makes the "smoke" I need to see.

The onem issing element is a 'smoldering' cigarette experience- was thinking about it htis am and thought how much nicer it would be if the e-cigg would smolder when not puffign on it to give hte complete smokign expeirence- but that's asking too much I spose- but yeah, the vapor to me is probably the biggest experience next ot feelign the hit in throat and lungs.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Oh man, that is dreadful. I've never had any severe effects from e-smoking all day. Minor sore throat a few times, but no big deal. Please look over the Alternatives section to see if you can find a substitute for smoking cigarettes. Even puffing a cigar or a pipe is an improvement over inhaling cigarette smoke. Good luck.

I've wondered why some kind of throat soothing substance couldn't be inhaled with our vapor. Menthol serves that purpose for cigarettes, but doesn't seem to work with e-smoking. Not strong enough, I think. We need an inhalable analgesic.

Dark Justice

Jul 24, 2008
Read this... study done on the stuff. Rare occasions of slight irratence to some people but seems safe to me. Read on.

Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are related to either inappropriate intravenous use or accidental ingestion by children.[4] The oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low. In one study, rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.[5] Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.

Serious toxicity will occur only at extremely high intakes over a relatively short period of time that result in plasma concentrations of over 4 g/L.[6] Such levels of ingestion would not be possible when consuming reasonable amounts of a food product or dietary supplements containing at most 1 g/kg propylene glycol.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined propylene glycol to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in food, cosmetics, and medicines. Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol affects the body's chemistry by increasing the amount of acid. Propylene glycol is metabolized into pyruvic acid, which is a normal metabolite in the breakdown of glucose, while ethylene glycol is metabolized into oxalic acid, which is toxic.

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
That provides no reassurance. We are the guinea pigs for inhaling propylene glycol. Other tests for transdermal application, ingestion, etc., do not necessarily assure the safety of sucking these vapors into human lungs 200 to 300 times a day, every day.

Damn straight!

Although I'm more of a Spider-Pig I think ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread