ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

Deemac

Apr 30, 2016
NL
This all comes from Zen, so if there are any errors in fact it's on him. But I used to follow the man pretty closely (not, not stalkerish, just interested :)) and he seems to be the type who always wants to know WHY and then does the research to find out.

Back when the 510 was created, most everything was a cigalike. The only box mods to speak of were made from pre-existing electronic boxes modified to be usable - and they were being made by individuals in their basement shops or garages. Throw in the fact that also at that time, there wasn't much of a hobby aspect to vaping as it was all about quitting cigarettes.

So most of the market was cigarette-sized and shaped gear. It's a form that smokers were accustomed to and were comfortable with.

The dimensions of the 510 were set because that's what would fit on something the size of a cigarette. No one with electrical or engineering knowledge designed the thing. And back then, when we were all only using 5 watts or less of power it worked OK.

The next part is hazy since I don't remember the exact numbers. But when people DID do the math for what was needed to efficiently transfer 20 or 30 watts they found there just wasn't enough connection conductivity to do that at a high level of efficiency.

And thus the P3. Pro Vape's engineers understood the issue but were put into an unwinnable situation. Tooling, production costs, and inventory for sellling two variations of the same mods would be expensive. And they couldn't just move to P3 exclusively since the atomizer makers would have to follow along. Even though Pro Vape offered the plans for free to anyone, few companies wanted to change their production which was already making millions of pieces.

So they tried to make a mod easily convertable between the standard 510 and the electrically better/physically stronger P3. It was a clever solution with the adaptor nut and lock ring, but as DPL pointed out they didn't get the 510 post exactly right.

And this reply was probably at least 5 times longer than it needed to be, but hey, it's a Sunday. What else do you have to do on a day of rest? :D
Thanks, mate, I'm suitably aghast. Curiously, this morning, my wife asked me a different historical vape question. "Where did the name 'mod' come from?" The only story I've ever heard of as an answer to that question was that the first tube mods were MODified hand-held torches. For the veracity of this I cannot vouch.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
Thanks, GG. It definitely sounds like a Zen spun yard (with much truth).

Interesting that those same 510s are on mods pushing much higher than the 20/30 level (which was probably the top at the time he said it). He also left out KR808, KR808D, the GoGo proprietary connection, and his very own (Z2 or something)?

My issue was (and I guess still is) that by the time ProVape ventured into the area of connectors (with a nudge from Zen), the horse was already glue. Many of us had all these mods, and I know that I certainly had no intention of buying an atty that I'd have to marry to a specific mod. I never did the hybrid thing, and I like versatility.

I'm telling you; either the 510 connector ran off with his girl, or it kicked him in the nuts, or SOMETHING... ;):D

Getting serious for a second, I've always figured that a couple/few broke off on him, and it frustrated him to a point of semi-obsession. I've been guilty of the same myself, many times (We are VAPERS!), but I like to have a little when I can with things like this.

I loved the GoGo connector, just for the record. Pity that it died on the vine.

Sunday, fun day! :banana:

Zen was always pushing new frontiers for better stuff. I have a carto atty he designed that I used to use on my ZNA. The Z2 connection reminds me a lot of the things I was using when I worked with industrial pumps and piping. It's very stout indeed. But it's a hybrid so that's sort of apples and oranges.

Obviously, the 510 will produce enough conductivity to allow a 250 watt vape or more. Why you would want to is another question. But it's sort of like using a toothbrush to paint a room. Yeah, it will get the job done but it's just not well suited to the task at hand.

And it's fun to consider the "what if" areas. I was really interested in TC when it first arrived on the scene. I quickly found that a big problem was that tracking the resistance to control temperature did not work well at all when said resistance is dancing all over the place. And that came back to how well the mod was wired, that the springs in most self adjusting 510s were horribly inconsistent, and a whole lot of other variables.

So, it's fun to wonder if TC would be the unquestioned standard today if it had consistently worked with no fiddling required - which the P3 could have had a big role in, keeping the resistance changes steady enough that a electronic board had the info needed to actually do what the designers intended. Today that sound like reinventing the wheel.

But think about what we're used to doing now. Coils can change, either because of production variations for prebuilts or what you've chosen to do on a rebuildable. And then, we have to play with the power to get what we're looking for, and continue to adjust as the coil/wick goes away.

If TC had a minimum of variables, you'd put an atty on your mod, set it to the temperature you like, and be done with it. The "computer" would handle it from then on.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
But think about what we're used to doing now. Coils can change, either because of production variations for prebuilts or what you've chosen to do on a rebuildable. And then, we have to play with the power to get what we're looking for, and continue to adjust as the coil/wick goes away.

I don't change my wattage settings very often (rarely). 11'ish seems to work with all of my atties, except for the Kabuki, which I lower to around 9.

I don't fiddle much.

Well, not with my mods anyway. :blink: :blush: :facepalm:

I'll save @Katdarling the trouble >

pushing_the_envelope.gif

Oh well. Funtime appears to be drawing to a close for me, once again. I'm sure you're all terribly disappointed (cough).

Thanks for putting up with my antics, again, and I'll look forward to the next time... :)

Deemac

Apr 30, 2016
NL

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
With all the talk about the P3 connector, I feel I should share this. First off I never really had any real problems with it, I did have a Kayfun that had the P3 connector on it, but I did not really like that one. (It had too many parts)
This happened last week, I had just set up a new (to me) recipe in a Kayfun Prime, and put it on a Radius. I could not get it to connect, I tried it on a Dicodes Mini and it worked fine. So I went threw the recommended procedures, for gently lifting up up the positive pin. The positive pin came apart. Until this happened I always thought that the positive pin was all one piece, it is not. I simply put the top half of the pin back in place, and it worked fine after that. :?:

KAS

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
If it started with a "D", then surely it's a Dwinder. :blink:
The only thing I had resembling that was this and I can't figure out why it doesn't work any more.:unsure:

Those GIZMOS would have had me too, if regulated. LOVE those things!!!

I'm still here? I thought...

BYEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Si, senor, but idealism dosen't always transfer well into application. In this case they tried to fix that which was not broken, and the better mousetrap turned out to be a downgrade.

Sometimes it's best to simply let that which works keep on working. Could it be done better? Absolutely. Does it NEED to done better? Well, no, not really.

You have to admit that there was some level of obsession going on with the 510s, as the P3 was not an isolated case.

Sent from my Samsung GS9+ using Tapatalk

If Provape had come out with a game changing connector two years earlier as an option on the 2.5, their market leadership at that time may have led to broader adoption among other vendors, making a new connector standard attainable. It also would have likely led to some incremental improvements in that connector before the P3 rolled out.

Imagine if both the "2.75" and the more powerful P3 had dedicated threaded caps which could interchange between two connectors. Well, at least I imagined it. No fiddling, just unscrew one top for the other. Easy repairs, enhancements, and migration.

Although the intention of the P3 connector was good, the reality is that by the time the P3 arrived, the 510 connector was so firmly entrenched in the market that there was no chance of shifting a significant part of the market, making it a boutique novelty connector. In retrospect, had Provape listened more to the market and less to Zen, they would have focused on the P3 being a safe 40 watt powerhouse (at that time) and it would have been much more successful IMO.

Oh well.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
So did the Ihybrids just fade away?
I believe so. They disappeared along with most gennys as the market moved to high wattage subohm toppers. I of course have a few of their Pure models buried in the stockpile, maybe fun to unearth 10 years from now. Ihybrids sure were hot items in their time.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So, it's fun to wonder if TC would be the unquestioned standard today if it had consistently worked with no fiddling required

The "computer" would handle it from then on.

I think that ( ^ ) is what the DNA Go chip is supposed to address. Set things to get the vape you like, then push a button, and the chip takes over from there to reproduce that 'vape' regardless of resistance changes, juice flow changes, ambient temperature, etc.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
@DPLongo22 ,I don't think it was the ZNA, I think it started with a D. Here is a pic:

View attachment 832959

Oh yeah!!! Wasn't that the Sidewinder (or something like that)? Unreg'd. 18350?

He certainly was/is an innovator, and started many "trends".

The Sidewinder was my Unicorn back in it's day. I even picked up these brass parts (from a co-op I think) to address connectivity/firing problems some folks had with theirs. Never did get a Sidewinder. By the time I saved up the money vape gear evolution changed my 'wants' and the Sidewinder was no longer available anyway.

But I held onto the parts bag. If anyone has a Sidewinder and would like 'em. PM me a mailing address and they are yours.

IMG_8249.JPG

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Back in the V2 daze, away from home, dropped it in a parking lot and broke the 510 connection. Did I mention we weren't home? Luckily Jackie was with me and we could share a vape. NEVER busted a P3 connection. Zen even mentioned he tried and couldn't.

Just sayin'...

Users who are viewing this thread