ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
So, do the Radius pins get lower over time?
Reason I ask is that a couple of my Zenith Zlide tanks register as OP in my couple of Radii, but are just fine in my Jac.

Just a guess, but I think they do. Remember that ProVape's solution for an autoadjusting 510 was that red o-ring. Even though it looks like it's a high grade polymer, I imagine that it will take a set over time, and at this point if we're talking about Provari we're talking about years and years. But also, remember that some atomizers have threads either longer or shorter than the norm. For instance, I can't use a thin (.55 mm) teflon mod guard with a Kayfun 5. Even that small thickness means the tank doesn't make contact with some of my mods.

Since we're talking about P3 style 510, Provari repair guy Bill told me something that's important to know. If I've previously mentioned it here, please accept my apologies.

He said he'd seen a different problem than squish. If juice is allowed to pool and build up on the o-ring (either top or bottom side) he said that the juice's lubrication could mean that when you're turning an atty that the 510 pin could spin inside the o-ring. The wire that's attached to it inside the mod isn't meant to do that and he believed that over time the 510 metal contact could be twisted off the power wire.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Just a guess, but I think they do. Remember that ProVape's solution for an autoadjusting 510 was that red o-ring. Even though it looks like it's a high grade polymer, I imagine that it will take a set over time, and at this point if we're talking about Provari we're talking about years and years. But also, remember that some atomizers have threads either longer or shorter than the norm. For instance, I can't use a thin (.55 mm) teflon mod guard with a Kayfun 5. Even that small thickness means the tank doesn't make contact with some of my mods.

Since we're talking about P3 style 510, Provari repair guy Bill told me something that's important to know. If I've previously mentioned it here, please accept my apologies.

He said he'd seen a different problem than squish. If juice is allowed to pool and build up on the o-ring (either top or bottom side) he said that the juice's lubrication could mean that when you're turning an atty that the 510 pin could spin inside the o-ring. The wire that's attached to it inside the mod isn't meant to do that and he believed that over time the 510 metal contact could be twisted off the power wire.
Thanks. I'm thinking it's not the wire inside the Radius, since it's not every atty, just the Zlides. The Berserkers work fine. And since the Zlides work fine with the Jac, I conclude it's not the Zlides. That leaves me with the Radius red o-ring. Someone long ago gave me some o-rings to replace them with, but I'll have to go find my notes about how to do it. And, I'm more than a little nervous about it!!

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So, do the Radius pins get lower over time?
Reason I ask is that a couple of my Zenith Zlide tanks register as OP in my couple of Radii, but are just fine in my Jac.

Thanks. I'm thinking it's not the wire inside the Radius, since it's not every atty, just the Zlides. The Berserkers work fine. And since the Zlides work fine with the Jac, I conclude it's not the Zlides. That leaves me with the Radius red o-ring. Someone long ago gave me some o-rings to replace them with, but I'll have to go find my notes about how to do it. And, I'm more than a little nervous about it!!

I've had that happen to me a few time with the same atomizer that was working fine. Take it off to re-wick it, put it back on and "OP" is displayed. My fix ... take the battery out of the Radius, the the atomizer off, then with a small flat tip screw driver I gently and carefully pry up on the 510 contact pin. Put the battery back in, the atty back on ... and I have a connection again.

Hint for replacing the o-ring if you go that way ... put the new o-ring at the end/tips of a small needle nose pliers. Spread the tips of the pliers to stretch the o-ring somewhat. Then place the stretched o-ring over the 510 pin, You may or may not get it completely over the 510 pin. But you should be able to get enough around it's circumference to then use the tip of the pliers, your finger nail, or a small flat screw driver to stretch it completely over the pin. The gently poke the o-ring all around to get it seated well under the 510 pin.

O-RingReplacement#2.jpeg

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I've had that happen to me a few time with the same atomizer that was working fine. Take it off to re-wick it, put it back on and "OP" is displayed. My fix ... take the battery out of the Radius, the the atomizer off, then with a small flat tip screw driver I gently and carefully pry up on the 510 contact pin. Put the battery back in, the atty back on ... and I have a connection again.

Hint for replacing the o-ring if you go that way ... put the new o-ring at the end/tips of a small needle nose pliers. Spread the tips of the pliers to stretch the o-ring somewhat. Then place the stretched o-ring over the 510 pin, You may or may not get it completely over the 510 pin. But you should be able to get enough around it's circumference to then use the tip of the pliers, your finger nail, or a small flat screw driver to stretch it completely over the pin. The gently poke the o-ring all around to get it seated well under the 510 pin.

View attachment 927039
Thanks @MikeE3
That was very useful. i'll start with the simple then move on to the more difficult, though I think I'll need to get a pair of those sharp needle noses. The pic was really helpful to understand.
So, if I remove the old o-ring, the pin won't slip into the body of the mod, will it?

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
Thanks @MikeE3
That was very useful. i'll start with the simple then move on to the more difficult, though I think I'll need to get a pair of those sharp needle noses. The pic was really helpful to understand.
So, if I remove the old o-ring, the pin won't slip into the body of the mod, will it?

No. The contact itself is larger than the shaft that the wire connects to and so is the hole it goes through. Sort of like a flat topped mushroom. I don't have a Radius here in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure if you look closely you can see that the outer edges of the contact circle are actually bevelled a bit which I'm thinking is so the o-ring will be easier to start going over the contact.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Thanks @MikeE3

No. The contact itself is larger than the shaft that the wire connects to and so is the hole it goes through. Sort of like a flat topped mushroom. I don't have a Radius here in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure if you look closely you can see that the outer edges of the contact circle are actually bevelled a bit which I'm thinking is so the o-ring will be easier to start going over the contact.

Geeky is spot on. It won't fall through. And it may be worthwhile when the o-ring is removed to very gently 'go around' the contact and pry it up ... apply almost no pressure just enough to feel tension on you flat head screw driver and move along to another spot. You're only trying to bring it up a 'hair' from it being pushed down from years of use.

Users who are viewing this thread