ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
I’m happy to help with any specific questions y’all might have. :)

OK, thank you. Can we use protected 18350, 18500 and 18650 batteries in a ProVari 2.5, which will only accommodate button tops? Right now I have enough button tops for my needs but down the road...

Thank you.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    OK, thank you. Can we use protected 18350, 18500 and 18650 batteries in a ProVari 2.5, which will only accommodate button tops? Right now I have enough button tops for my needs but down the road...

Thank you.

The general question is if protected batteries can be used in our Provari 2.0/2.5s/possibly others.

Batteries I know.
    Provari’s I do not know. :)

It would most likely be a physical issue though and not an electrical one. A mod has no idea what is going on inside a battery and just draws current from it. A protected battery will either supply the current or shut off.

Protected cells, which often also have a button top, are longer than just flat top cells with a button top contact spot-welded on. This extra length may or may not be a problem for a Provari.

Protected 18650 cells are often around 70-71mm. What is the longest cell a Provari can comfortably fit?

All this might have to boil down to everyone contributing a couple of dollars each, someone buying one of each protected and button top cell that might be used, and trying those cells in all the different model Provari’s that you are wondering about.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Batteries I know.

It would most likely be a physical issue though and not an electrical one. A mod has no idea what is going on inside a battery and just draws current from it. A protected battery will either supply the current or shut off.

Protected cells, which often also have a button top, are longer than just flat top cells with a button top contact spot-welded on. This extra length may or may not be a problem for a Provari.

Protected 18650 cells are often around 70-71mm. What is the longest cell a Provari can comfortably fit?

All this might have to boil down to everyone contributing a couple of dollars each, someone buying one of each protected and button top cell that might be used, and trying those cells in all the different model Provari’s that you are wondering about.
    ProVari V2 and V2.5 mods have an amp limit of 3.5, and the earlier V1 versions were 2.5 amps, also they had a maximum of 15 watts.

Later models, the classic and P3 accept flat tops so they should be good to go with any viable cells in whatever size.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2014
    Waco, TX
    Batteries I know.

Mooch, thank you for the reply. Great information to know. We'll have to figure out the sizing issue, but I'm guessing for most cells it won't be an issue. Knowing we will not create electrical or safety problems using protected cells is a great relief. Thank you!

JUMA55

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2014
    Waco, TX
    Batteries I know.

Mooch, one more question, if you don't mind. It appears, and I haven't opened one to see, that a lot button tops these days are made by wrapping the cell in such a manner to hold the button in contact with the anode rather than spot-welding it.

As long as the button is stable--doesn't wiggle around--and the mod works, is wrapped button OK to use?

Thank you again.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Thanks all.

For what it may be worth, I did use one of the Panny NCR deals (I forget which exact number), way back in 2012. It did fit, and it did work, but it compressed the spring down to "shrinkage" level (for lack of a better term), so I decided against using it.

Now that I have 800 spare springs (from various sources and reasons), it's nice to know that I can if I must. :)

I wonder where that battery is now. ;):lol:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Knowing we will not create electrical or safety problems using protected cells is a great relief.

Whoa...hold on!
    I only said it will “most likely” not be an issue based on the assumptions I made. I cannot guarantee anything as I do not own, or have even used, any of the Provari models in question.

I can’t think of any reasons why it would be a problem but additional research should be done before anyone wants to say “it’s safe”.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    As long as the button is stable--doesn't wiggle around--and the mod works, is wrapped button OK to use?

Sorry, there’s just no way for me to give you any kind of definitive answer.
    It depends on the mod, the battery, how well the battery holds everything and fits in the mod, how well the circuit was designed, etc.

I can’t think of any reason why it would be a problem if the battery fits well and the circuit was well designed but that’s not a guarantee of any kind, I've never used a Provari or those batteries in a Provari so I can only guess.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2014
    Waco, TX
    Sorry, there’s just no way for me to give you any kind of definitive answer.
    It depends on the mod, the battery, how well the battery holds everything and fits in the mod, how well the circuit was designed, etc.

I can’t think of any reason why it would be a problem if the battery fits well and the circuit was well designed but that’s not a guarantee of any kind, I've never used a Provari or those batteries in a Provari so I can only guess.

If you have protected cells, I sure don't mind sending you a couple of Provaris to test. If they are damaged in the process, no problem. I have 38 of them. Thank you.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    If you have protected cells, I sure don't mind sending you a couple of Provaris to test. If they are damaged in the process, no problem. I have 38 of them. Thank you.

Thank you for the offer but I have none of the protected cells that might be used and we’d need to test all of the Provari models that might use protected cells.

Unfortunately I have a huge backlog now though and wouldn’t be able to take the time needed to do that testing. I'm also concerned that this kind of testing can only lead to, at best, “it seems okay to use the particular cells and Provari’s I have”.

There can’t be anything definitive said since different Provari’s are in different condition, the cells might change, etc. But any positive results would be interpreted by many that “it’s safe” when that can't be said.

Things like this have been an ongoing problem for years now and I have yet to find a good solution. When most people only want a one-word conclusion the inevitably “it depends” battery-related stuff gets changed to things we just can’t say.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Thank you for the offer but I have none of the protected cells that might be used and we’d need to test all of the Provari models that might use protected cells.

Unfortunately I have a huge backlog now though and wouldn’t be able to take the time needed to do that testing. I'm also concerned that this kind of testing can only lead to, at best, “it seems okay to use the particular cells and Provari’s I have”.

There can’t be anything definitive said since different Provari’s are in different condition, the cells might change, etc. But any positive results would be interpreted by many that “it’s safe” when that can't be said.

Things like this have been an ongoing problem for years now and I have yet to find a good solution. When most people only want a one-word conclusion the inevitably “it depends” battery-related stuff gets changed to things we just can’t say.
    The general question I have is with the 2.5 version having a 3.5 amp limitation by design, what would be the minimum CDR you would suggest? I've been working off the assumption that anything double that or greater would be OK, protected or not. Thanks!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Just out of curiosity, is there a concern that the high-drains might go away? Looking at some of the "flashlighty" sites, I don't see an indication of such.

At best I've got less than a quarter-eye on it though, so I likely know little-to-nothing (what else is new?).

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The general question I have is with the 2.5 version having a 3.5 amp limitation by design, what would be the minimum CDR you would suggest? I've been working off the assumption that anything double that or greater would be OK, protected or not. Thanks!

If the mod can only draw 3.5A or less from the battery then an 8A-10A battery should be fine (if it fits, etc., etc.). Always follow the manufacturer’s directions/recommendations though.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Just out of curiosity, is there a concern that the high-drains might go away? Looking at some of the "flashlighty" sites, I don't see an indication of such.

At best I've got less than a quarter-eye on it though, so I likely know little-to-nothing (what else is new?).

IMO they will always be available somewhere no matter what.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2014
    Waco, TX

I understand 100%. If you should change your mind, please let me know. Thank you again.

Users who are viewing this thread