ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

Arnold Ziffle

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
San Quentin
i got these for my wife. they work reall well.
9AFD382A-49EB-48CE-9BD4-DBFD55B23AAB.jpeg

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
i got these for my wife. they work reall well. View attachment 936823

Does that 2300mah seem exaggerated? Seems like a lot for an 18500.

Plus, it looks like a protected battery. I can't speak to the science but I know that ProVape always recommended high-drain vs. protected. I'm not sure why and it may be absolutely fine, but it's something they always felt strongly about.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Plus, it looks like a protected battery. I can't speak to the science but I know that ProVape always recommended high-drain vs. protected. I'm not sure why and it may be absolutely fine, but it's something they always felt strongly about.

I did not notice that, but with a 18500 that he says works well, would be good enough for me these days. People have been asking about this size, and I have never seen any good responses. I have used protected batteries before in my REOS and of course My older Billet box's, with no problems. I would think they would be okay. :unsure: :|

KAS

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I always wondered about this, because way way back, ProVape had clear plastic rings to use for protected batteries to fill the gap left by the extra length. That was back with the V1 that had a 2.5 amp limit...if you use a protected battery, and are using it in a way that is below the safety cutoff of whatever protection circuit is used, what could be the harm? The other hand, you probably will have longer run time puffing away on a battery with higher capacity at the lower end of the scale of amps pulled. Their staunch insistence on using AW cells came about as things were maturing, and at that time they probably were one of the more tested and reputable cells. Now we are back into the wild west...catch as catch can with available batteries.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
I've wondered about protected batteries too. Way back when I start vaping, I almost bought an Innokin iTaste 134, the one that looks like a M134 Minigun, and the dealer was using it with protected the Panasonic batteries shown below. It worked fine. Sometime later I did buy a couple of Innokin 134s, which only goes to 12 watts. Neat looking mod but not that good a vape. I put AWs in them.

Since I have a bunch of Provari 2.5s and button tops are getting hard to find, I'd like to know for sure one can use protected batteries without damage or danger.

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 1.58.28 PM.jpg

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
Since I have a bunch of Provari 2.5s and button tops are getting hard to find, I'd like to know for sure one can use protected batteries without damage or danger.

I would ask @Mooch about the protected vs. unprotected batteries. I asked him not too long ago about 18500 batteries and he said that he hasn't tested any in a long time so can't make any recommendations.

I threw him a few bucks for helping me out with another question. Just because he gives a lot of time and expertise to vapers. He also is on Patreon for a priority membership. https://www.patreon.com/batterymooch.

Here's his PayPal for one time donations: https://www.paypal.me/batterymooch

Maybe if enough ProVarinatis become Mooch Patreon members and request button top 18500 tests, he can test them on a regular basis. I don't know if he has time for that or at what membership level it becomes economical for him. Anyway, just a thought. It'd be nice to have an expert test these 18500's on a regular basis for everyone.

Arnold Ziffle

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
San Quentin
i put two on my p3 and got a battery health rating in the mid sixties. that was disappointing. but it does last a good bit longer than an 18350 with a rating of 92. maybe the link to the 2100 mah panasonic based one is better. i may try a couple of those but i’m happy with the performance of the ones i have.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
@Provinattiz ~

I am no M.E. for Provi innards, but I know that we learned long ago not to use Protecteds in the 2.5s, n'est pas @ENAUD @Bronze @WillyZee @jwbnyc @@@?

HOWEVER, one of the very first Provi batts I obtained, with my FIRST Provi, was a Provi Power Protected.

He still lives with me. :wub:

upload_2021-4-6_22-15-9.png

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I always thought you couldn't use protected because of the chemistry being volatile or something like that, but I am thinking I was wrong about that.

I found this post from Mooch on another thread regarding protected batteries. For some reason I wasn't able to use quote feature, but here it is:

There are protected batteries and "protected" batteries. They're interchangeable terms depending on who you speak to.

Many batteries have internal protection devices as part of their construction to help out in case of severe abuse. These are last ditch, permanent, protections that can MAYBE help prevent a battery from venting or bursting.

There are also batteries with small external circuit boards laid on one end of the battery and held in place with heat shrink. These circuit boards temporarily stop the flow of current in case of abuse or, sometimes, overvoltage/undervoltage situations. Almost like a circuit breaker. These protection circuits are usually limited to only a few amps max though and lengthen the battery. This makes the battery unusable in the vast majority of mods.​

Reactions: FringeChief68

Users who are viewing this thread