ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Mama brought you some nice little gifts! :hubba: I'm not sure if you should use a flea collar on a nursing mum, so I'll page @Bea-FL to see if she knows what would be safe for new families. Do you have any TNR places around that will do low-cost spay and neuter services for feral cats? We have some around here that will help with fixing the adults, and might even help with finding homes for the kittens when they are ready to go out on their own. I hope there will be more peektures of these little guys. :thumbs:

@FringeChief68 and @cats5365 i just texted my ex-practice manager to ask about flea treatment. My memory is getting fuzzy on what kind but I'm thinking we always advised Frontline for mom. I know when I used to raise orphaned kittens years ago I used flea powder on them and it worked ok. I wouldn't advise using it as a regular treatment because frontline works better but you can't use it on kittens less than 8 weeks old. I'll let you know what she says as soon as I hear.

BTW this is what many of us in the veterinary profession do for fleas for our cats. Rather than using frontline for cats we buy the largest dog size frontline and we apply 0.5mls to each cat (at back of neck). We use a 1cc syringe and puncture a little hole in the foil back of the little applicator. I have a slew of 18 gauge needles so I filed down the sharp end so I ended up with a blunt needle. I put a piece of duck tape on the little hole so it wont leak out after I'm done. You can get several cat applications out of one applicator that way at a much lower cost than buying the cat frontline.

It's a well known trick but if you ask a vet they'll tell you "oh, you can't do that". Most cat rescue groups back home do it too. That's how I treat my three too. Living in Florida I have to treat them year round even though they are strictly indoor cats.

Cats has great suggestions. Same ones I would suggest for spaying and kitten placement.

Edit: petmeds usually has discounts. I don't think I have ever paid full price. And you don't need a script from your vet. Speaking of scripts. If you vet prescribes something for your pets check out its cost online. You can usually find it a lot cheaper there. Ask your vet for a script and order online. Most of us in the profession hated online pharmacies because it cut into the hospital's profit but I do the same thing now that I'm not in the business anymore. I can't afford not to.

2nd edit: Just heard back from my PM. Yes you can apply frontline on the nursing mama.
I got 4 cats at home and this year nothing would work for fleas. We tried Frontline and 3 others.
Then we got them a Bayer Seresto Collar and that with some diatomaceous earth seemed to do the trick. So that's what I did here with this Kitty. I'm being told this is one of the worst years for fleas and a lot of people are having trouble finding treatments that work.

I did a Google search and there's at least one place here that can help me with getting them fixed and their shots. I have to email them a application.

We have a place back home that Vets volunteer their time so prices are low. Last time I took one of my Kitty's to get a rabies shot, you had to walk up to a counter holding your Kitty and they would give them the shot right there.
So standing in line trying to hold my Kitty with other people holding cats & dogs, and then setting the Kitty on a counter while a stranger stabs them in the neck, can be a challenge.:laugh:
So I set my Kitty down on the counter and try to calm her down while Nurse Ratched takes aim and jams the needle right in the back of my hand :facepalm:
So at least now I got my rabies vaccine :blink:

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
I hope there will be more peektures of these little guys. :thumbs:
:)
There's 3 there, a black & white, gray & white, and an all gray one.
They seem to like to sleep on top of each other :laugh:

39188281_2096450650374326_7247209604885512192_n.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There aren't really fleas much in Tucson that I know of. It's sort of nice. or maybe we've just been lucky, IDK.

I will say, it's getting harder and harder with some annoying stuff, like bedbugs. I consider myself lucky not to have them, because I've heard that like, pretty much all you can do is burn down your abode with all your stuff inside it, then move. Preferably somewhere on the rural side, which I do. I actually think I would take ALL the bugs I've encountered and even stung by over like, bedbugs.

I encountered them once, in a hotel in Costa Rica and I informed my teachers that I was going to sleep on the tour bus the remainder of the evening, or like, go home. (It was a class trip, they said no) so I wound up sleeping in a shower.

Also, I've heard nits are pretty much quite often a shave your head type of things these days. Although in part, my son's nits were caused by my ex doing the "halfhearted cleaning" thing, well by the third weekend, and after my kiddo's little head was BURNED and blistered and traumatized, I did two things a) shaved his head and b) informed my ex that his son would not be visiting him until he presented me with an exterminator's bill certifying his house nit free.

The poor little munchkin was so traumatized that he wouldn't let anyone cut his hair for about 10 years. He kept it kind of lengthy, and extremely uneven. I totally LET him even though every fiber of my mom being was screaming "You can't let him out of the house like that he will be judged."

LOL, the first time he agreed to a barber's shop, the barber kept asking me what I wanted him to do to my kid's hair. My tranquil, repeated response of, "I don't know, ask him, it's HIS HAIR," seemed to confuse the barber..

But my fear of "what would the public think about X" was long gone by then. I just pretty much didn't care, unless it was obnoxious or illegal but my kid didn't really get into all that until 16 plus, and so, for the most part he could just be his Own Self, I was just happy he was letting someone ELSE cut the dang hair.

Also, I had THREE consecutive weeks of BOILING any and every soft item in the house, it got super old and I was almost HOPING my ex would not present me with the certificate, but alas he did so we got more fun stuff.

Boric acid pretty much still works on a lot of things only not things that pets or humans should encounter. Unfortunately. Although, I have not been bitten by ANYTHING since the Great Boric Acid travel of 6 months ago, it was worth the mild boric acid poisoning I gave myself.

Almost time for a repeat only I WILL wear a hazmat suit. I need my nervous system.

Anna

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
:)
There's 3 there, a black & white, gray & white, and an all gray one.
They seem to like to sleep on top of each other :laugh:

39188281_2096450650374326_7247209604885512192_n.jpg
And that's how cat lovers wind up with thirty cats and neighbors pointin at them and whispering...:lol: good on you Chief for takin them lil kitty babies in:thumb::cool:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I believe that is one of the Property Brothers.

I'm afraid they aren't reliable reporters....

Did you ever see the episode when they were "leaving" a finished "house" and they exited and the glass that had been taped inside the window or however it was attached, went a-flapping in the wind.

However NOTHING beats the two folks in like, that home restoration show in Vegas? The one that had half a bicycle sticking out of the wall one time and it's all clearly staged.

Except for the crazy wife who ALWAYS went off the rails, like using flooring materials for an accent wall?

I loved that show quite dearly for a time. I always ended up calling it: "Vegas home invasion and destruction of property by two hastily shacked up squatters."

Go ahead. Disagree. I know you aren't done. LOLZ

Anna

Users who are viewing this thread