PTN04050 Booster, need help! (Since i succed with the PTR08100 next...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I am struggling with this chip also :confused:

What i did: installed capacitors, switch and board. Then added a 100k pot between Vout and Adj and a 3A diode on Vout. This way i get between 4.6 and 4 V without load and have only an 0.2 voltage drop under load using a 2.0 Ohm ato. Using an 18650 battery.

So far so good.

But as soon as i add a resistance between Ground and Adj (in the specs it is marked as ''required") everything goes bananas. Even if i take out the pot and leave just that resistance it still wont go above 3.5V with load and makes some weird noise...

So my questions are:
Is the resistance between Ground and Adj really required?

How to get more the 4.x volts under load? As in the case where i put another 100k pot between Ground and Adj i can have any voltage without load, but as soon as i plug in the ato then it wont go above 3.5V :confused:

How to protect the switch also? Install a 10k res between Vin and Ground ? The switch is a simple push button installed on the ground wire before the chip.

Is the PTN protected against short circuits? As i understand it is not, but i think the diode is doing just that?! I want to make sure i dont burn it when i set up a genisis wick...

Cheers

PS: And oh yes, please excuse me if my questions are kinda dumb, but i started reading about electronics when i started this modding frenzy and it got me hooked up really good.

You are a helluva lot further along than me.....with electronics, I understand about every 3rd word, and with the cause and effect of changing components and their values....not a clue; not a clue. I have to depend on folks who do understand it to post pictures. I can replicate pictures; that I can do. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

Everyone on this thread has done admirable work and are moving forward with neat stuff.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
Looking for some assistance. I did a breadboard, then built the board with a 90k resistor between adj and vout. ( I am not looking for variable voltage just regulated) Both times they ran at 4.5 volts. So i wired the board into a box with battery and a 510 connector (no switch intalled yet, I just touch the 2 wires to fire.)
I am getting 3.84 volts. What happened????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
I suspect the ground is not going to the board, sounds like it is passing battery voltage on and not boosting.

You nailed it- bad connection where GND goes to the board.
Taking voltage reading from connector- with no carto attached- 4.5v:2cool:
I can keep the circuit on for 10+ seconds (I was testing for battery protection cut off.)

NEXT ISSUE- when I attach a 1.7 Dual coil, or a 2 ohm boge- (I did not install a switch yet) and connect the two wires- it fires for 1/2 second and shuts off. The battery protection did not trip as I can do this repeatedly, and the battery still tests out at 3.8 volts.

Did I exceed some limit for the 04050???

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
Should have mentioned-
it's a TrustFire 3.7v protected batt.
I tried on a freshly charged one (4.15v) and the same thing. But the battery isn't tripping, there is no switch yet- so I can only assume it is the board..!? (But I am no EE)

There is no sound at all from any part of the mod. Unfortunately I have not found any higher resistance cartos around here to see if the problem goes away with a higher ohm carto.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Gah , you did, but that is back on page 1 for me now. :)

14650's even. I don't think the board is bad, but you may be demanding too much from the batteries with that low of a resistance and they can't keep up with the current. You could try the two of them in parallel just to test to see if that improves things, which means one is not enough current for this specific resistance. Then you'd know the board works and just wait out getting some other cartos for it.

I'd stick with the Boge 2Ω as the DC is more strain and exceeding the 12w limit.

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
And the testing / trials go on-

I tried a freshly charged 14500 (AW brand) Batt- it will fire the carto (Dual Coil metered at 1.9 ohm) for about 5 seconds, then shuts off. During that time there is a slightly audible high pitch noise coming from the TI board.

Tried same thing with a meter 2.3 carto- and it still cuts off after about 5 seconds- but there is no noise from the board.

Can anyone help decipher these clues?
Is the cut off normal?

So it seems the 14650's cannot power this board (at least not at 4.5 volts)- where the AW 14500 can-
but what does that high pitch noise mean?

Barryg41

Sep 5, 2011
Baton Rouge, La.
I have been working with this setup today. If I try to use any carto below 3.2 metered, the 04050 will not put out above 3.3v. If I put in a 3.2ohm carto it works as it should. The pot is a 100k with 100uf caps, no resisters. Pictures below...

001.jpg 002.jpg

I have tried many different carto's and as long as I stay above 3.1ohm it works fine. This is with Trustfire 14500 or power supply set at 4.17v. The little black meter is how I check loaded or not loaded. Maybe this could be some problems that others are failing to see. I only get switching noise when I use carto's below 3.1ohm.

Hopefully the pics show!

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been working with this setup today. If I try to use any carto below 3.2 metered, the 04050 will not put out above 3.3v. If I put in a 3.2ohm carto it works as it should. The pot is a 100k with 100uf caps, no resisters. Pictures below...

View attachment 75478 View attachment 75479

I have tried many different carto's and as long as I stay above 3.1ohm it works fine. This is with Trustfire 14500 or power supply set at 4.17v. The little black meter is how I check loaded or not loaded. Maybe this could be some problems that others are failing to see. I only get switching noise when I use carto's below 3.1ohm.

Hopefully the pics show!

There is a note in the datasheet that says "Operation at no load is not recommended." Although I have at times, you will run across a board that may become damaged. Been there! (boards are made in Malaysia)
The whine noise is low voltage due to the battery or poor connection. Once the board is damaged, changing external parts and batteries will not make a difference.

Also, make sure your wire gauge is heavy enough and there are no cold solder connections. Keep your wiring as short as possible.
Avoid excessive heat when soldering to board posts. Watch for tiny smd's around posts. It takes a split second to damage a board due to shorting, yada, yada, yada

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread