Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Here's a pic I found-

View attachment 357945

And another, juiced up:

View attachment 357949

Looks very interesting. Must be about the purest tasting juice possible!

Is this the picture that several are referring to as "quartz tubes"? If so, I believe you are mistaken. These are quartz "needle-crystals". They aren't tubes, they're solid. Like these:
60g Natural Clear Quartz Crystal Point Clear Crystal Specimens | eBay

If there is a picture of a head using capillary tubes, could someone point me to the reference? Thanks.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Is this the picture that several are referring to as "quartz tubes"? If so, I believe you are mistaken. These are quartz "needle-crystals". They aren't tubes, they're solid. Like these:
60g Natural Clear Quartz Crystal Point Clear Crystal Specimens | eBay

If there is a picture of a head using capillary tubes, could someone point me to the reference? Thanks.

Thank you for this! I have looked this picture over and over and still can't quite tell. The ones towards the bottom look like quartz points, but if you look at the one that would appear to be the "top" one in the picture and the one to the right of it, they look like basically jagged breaks in a tube. I have ordered the raw points, and also have capillary tube samples coming to me. I am going to try a build with both and will report with each.

The points should be here today or tomorrow, I just got another email about the tube samples saying they were shipped this morning. I thought they shipped the same day I requested them, but I was mistaken.

This is the first post that referenced "tubes" and that is where I began to see what he was talking about.

So that one garpt01 posted is supposedly glass micro tubes that act like straws... interesting concept.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Thank you for this! I have looked this picture over and over and still can't quite tell. The ones towards the bottom look like quartz points, but if you look at the one that would appear to be the "top" one in the picture and the one to the right of it, they look like basically jagged breaks in a tube. I have ordered the raw points, and also have capillary tube samples coming to me. I am going to try a build with both and will report with each.

The points should be here today or tomorrow, I just got another email about the tube samples saying they were shipped this morning. I thought they shipped the same day I requested them, but I was mistaken.

This is the first post that referenced "tubes" and that is where I began to see what he was talking about.
GMayberry,

Yes, I saw that and figured that it was where people were getting confused. I think it's just a crystal that was put in "upside-down" (i.e. you're seeing the .... end rather than the point end).

I did a bunch of fooling around with capillary tubes; when I started I thought pyrex was a real high-temperature glass. It isn't. I was hoping to find a configuration for a head where the coil was on the outside of the tube, and the e-liquid went through the tube and got vaporised. This way the coil never touches the liquid. I also tried coiling the wire inside the capillary and having the liquid on the outside. (This effort was inspired by the design of the "Wizard Stick" mini-fog-making thingie). To my dismay, the pyrex just didn't stand up to the temperatures (I repeat, however, that I was looking for a construction where the coil never touched the liquid, so the temperature of the glass was considerably higher than what would happen in a normal construct). The capillary tubes sagged, melted, and became as brittle as pringles. (Not to mention, it took several seconds for the thing to heat up, and liquid in the tube had a nasty tendency to spit hot globs of e-liquid like a roman candle!)

I am eagerly awaiting the quartz rods I ordered. (In retrospect, it's hard to believe that they can make a 4-foot-long 1mm diameter piece of glass, never mind keep it in stock!). I did allow them to cut the length down to save on shipping. It will be interesting to see if this is smooth or rough on the surface; If it's smooth, I'm thinking of trying to roughen it up a bit with a dremel diamond-disk as well.

If the capillaries can withstand the heat I'd be VERY interested; might re-awaken some of my previous experimental urges. Perhaps we can do a group buy? I'm still looking for that "eternal head" - something more like a lightbulb than a "change it out every week" type of head. The Wizard-Stick came pretty close, except it couldn't handle the gunking from heavy liquids.

Jamandre

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2014
$(KGrHqR,!g4E1fbh-Q3VBN,FsQtcEg~~_12.jpg
Faceted 6x17mm Rough Natural Clear Crystal Loose Beads | eBay

!BtgjEkgCGk~$(KGrHqMH-DsEvsLO+s4gBL8S1Rl1uw~~_12.jpg
AA 6x11mm Natural White Quartz Tube Gemstone Beads 15" | eBay

And they have a small holes drilled in them already could help in drawing e-juice. I don't know if these will fit the bill but they are almost ready to setup. You may need to sand or shape them to your needs but they look pretty close to wicking size.

I might just pick some up to try.

Last edited:

SintheticKarma

Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Anyone else feel like they are watching an episode of star trek here? All this talk of coils and crystals has my nerd side all giddy. Subscribed. I looked around a bit and it seems that most people claim ceramic gives them amazing flavor and quartz gives very little. I am wondering what the difference is between the two that matters? Does it all come down to how porous they are I wonder?

It also seems to me the straight vertical pillars would not wick as well as the slanted examples I have seen. There is actually quite a bit out there about wicking with quartz and the like. Truly fascinating stuff.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I looked around a bit and it seems that most people claim ceramic gives them amazing flavor and quartz gives very little. I am wondering what the difference is between the two that matters? Does it all come down to how porous they are I wonder?

I've not used either. Yet. But yeah, it would make sense that the difference is that the ceramic is porous while the quartz is not and therefore the difference in flavor production between the two wicking materials.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I've not used either. Yet. But yeah, it would make sense that the difference is that the ceramic is porous while the quartz is not and therefore the difference in flavor production between the two wicking materials.
I use to use porous ceramic for over a year in genesis attys, when I switched to bottom coil tanks it became to easy to use cotton compared to the ceramics so I don't really use them anymore. The ceramic wicks started out a little to thin at 3/32 then they upped them to 7/64. Although the thicker ones weren't as brittle, you still had to be careful because they could snap. The hardest part of making the ceramic set up was that the wire had to be super tight on the wick, if it wasn't you would have a break in period. This break in period was the time it took for gunk to close in the gaps between the ceramic and wire. In the end the best method to obtain a tight wrap was to heat the wire as you made the wraps, this we called hot wrapping. Once the coil was tight, the ceramic produced an amazing flavor, the best I ever vaped hands down. so in the end the ceramic had great flavor but also was a pain sometimes. Don't know if the quartz will be similar or totally different so we will see.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Man! That sounds like a real PITA! I mean you could certainly get good results but what pain to get it just right. Sounds a lot harder than just using cotton.

Speaking of which, I just got my 500 ft. roll of rayon. Got a couple of new RDAs in the mail today and wanted to try out the CLT. Saving the Magma until I get my authentic Stingray X due in this coming Friday. It was the easiest wicking I have done thus far. Seems to be performing extremely well, but I have just started vaping with it. Vapor production and flavor are definitely there.

I'm rather surprised with the CLT as well. It is on par with my authentic Plume Veil that I paid 115 bux for. The CLT? 35 bux. Great little atty if you ask me. Will know more by the end of the night.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Man! That sounds like a real PITA! I mean you could certainly get good results but what pain to get it just right. Sounds a lot harder than just using cotton.

Speaking of which, I just got my 500 ft. roll of rayon. Got a couple of new RDAs in the mail today and wanted to try out the CLT. Saving the Magma until I get my authentic Stingray X due in this coming Friday. It was the easiest wicking I have done thus far. Seems to be performing extremely well, but I have just started vaping with it. Vapor production and flavor are definitely there.

I'm rather surprised with the CLT as well. It is on par with my authentic Plume Veil that I paid 115 bux for. The CLT? 35 bux. Great little atty if you ask me. Will know more by the end of the night.
Yes it used to be kind of tricky for sure. But then, it was either mesh or ceramic, cotton just wasn't used.

SintheticKarma

Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I use to use porous ceramic for over a year in genesis attys, when I switched to bottom coil tanks it became to easy to use cotton compared to the ceramics so I don't really use them anymore. The ceramic wicks started out a little to thin at 3/32 then they upped them to 7/64. Although the thicker ones weren't as brittle, you still had to be careful because they could snap. The hardest part of making the ceramic set up was that the wire had to be super tight on the wick, if it wasn't you would have a break in period. This break in period was the time it took for gunk to close in the gaps between the ceramic and wire. In the end the best method to obtain a tight wrap was to heat the wire as you made the wraps, this we called hot wrapping. Once the coil was tight, the ceramic produced an amazing flavor, the best I ever vaped hands down. so in the end the ceramic had great flavor but also was a pain sometimes. Don't know if the quartz will be similar or totally different so we will see.

Was the g-plat and other specialty wires out when you used ceramic wicks? I wonder if it would be easier to wrap a tight coil with the softer wires. Also I have zero experience with genesis attys but you don't use micro coils on them right? With specialty wire you might could wrap a really long parallel micro coil which sounds like it would be much easier to maintain tightness. I'll stop thinking out loud now. :laugh:

I find myself wanting to try a genesis style atty but my drippers have made me use my tanks much less so I probably wouldn't get much use out of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread