Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Was the g-plat and other specialty wires out when you used ceramic wicks? I wonder if it would be easier to wrap a tight coil with the softer wires. Also I have zero experience with genesis attys but you don't use micro coils on them right? With specialty wire you might could wrap a really long parallel micro coil which sounds like it would be much easier to maintain tightness. I'll stop thinking out loud now. :laugh:

I find myself wanting to try a genesis style atty but my drippers have made me use my tanks much less so I probably wouldn't get much use out of one.
No specific specialty wires were out afaik except kanthal, ribbon, and maybe nichrome. I do think the nichrome is softer but don't remember if it made any difference. Just as micro coils were coming out I was trying them in genesis attys and to some success was screwing the ceramic rods into the coils, this worked fairly well but not as good as the hot wrap method. Literally under magnification if there were any gaps between the wire and wick it didn't work to its capabilities. sometimes you just couldn't get a perfect tight coil so you just needed to vape at lower voltages for maybe a half tank then you were good to go. It seemed after this break in period, whatever gaps were present before had closed up from a slight oxidation of juice. So maybe the new wires can help, like you said maybe because they are softer, they can mold better.

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
Just got my hands on some quartz wool, i also made a topic about it.
Any thoughts?
Although I've never actually seen it and felt it for tactile, my concern would be (possibly) fibers getting inhaled? A couple of folks were even concerned about that in the solid form. Any thoughts on that?

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I must say I was really impressed with how the juice simply carried itself up the crystal. The flavor is very good right now, but the vapor production is lacking. I'm going to play with possibly a wrapped 28g or maybe some .8 ribbon as well.

image.jpg

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I've played with quartz...it's a joke. it doesn't have a single advantage over any wick I know of...it's just ridiculous....the guy that was pushing it was a dripper, and he told everybody it worked great in gennys.....of course he knew squat about gennys. If you want clean flavor ceramics is the way to go...if you want wicking...almost everything is better than quartz.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I must say I was really impressed with how the juice simply carried itself up the crystal. The flavor is very good right now, but the vapor production is lacking. I'm going to play with possibly a wrapped 28g or maybe some .8 ribbon as well.

View attachment 360385
Although I have no experiences with quartz, It could behave a little like ceramic imo, if so like I previously mentioned, it works much much better with a very tight wrap. Although i didnt like the thread method myself, alot did. What some did was to take and unravel cheese cloth so you just have the single thread, take this thread and wrap some over the wick (just a single layer), after this you coil over the thread. This also was a way to seat the wire so it was tight and had no little gaps. Personally in the end, the quartz may work and could be great but if it's only marginally better then cotton or the like, it may not be worth the trouble

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I have been using this all morning and I am noticing one advantage all ready. This thing truly will use all the juice you drip. Cotton as we know soaks it up and when you change you toss a bit of juice each time. Throughout the morning the vapor production has actually improved. Being quartz is nonporous, I'm not sure what to say has helped this. As for flavor, it is consistent as I could ever ask for from fresh dripping, to almost empty. I vamped it as low as possible, no dry hit, just simply little to know vapor. So far the crystal hasn't weakened that I can tell, and it definitely hasn't cracked under the heat. So far, very happy with it.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Just a quick update, vapor production is still great, and the coil and quartz are both holding up very well. As for changing flavors, it is very simple, vape til its dry, drip a different flavor. It truly is using every bit of juice that is put into the well.

Also, the capillary tubing samples came in.... Not going to be able to use them. When she said she would send me the 3 smallest sizes, they are about the diameter of human hair. They come in a plastic tube, and I could barely see them inside of it. Fail....

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
^dude.. did they send you enough to make a wick out of? Sounds like it would work really well to use several tiny capillary tubes, instead of just one or a few larger ones..if solid crystal is working well.

I remember quartz getting brought up randomly as a wick.. but the results never seemed as good as conventional wicks. You seem to be getting very good results..

Can anyone with experience with quartz chime in on how this is working out better for GM?

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
^dude.. did they send you enough to make a wick out of? Sounds like it would work really well to use several tiny capillary tubes, instead of just one or a few larger ones..if solid crystal is working well.

I remember quartz getting brought up randomly as a wick.. but the results never seemed as good as conventional wicks. You seem to be getting very good results..

Can anyone with experience with quartz chime in on how this is working out better for GM?

Very good results, yes. Would I say it will replace organic cotton for me? Probably not. The simplicity of cotton is there.

As for using the tubes I recieved, there is no way. They truly are smaller than hair. And they are quartz. I "flicked" the edge of the tube and one snapped in half. It would take well over 100 of them to even begin to get close to size of a regular wick.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have been using this all morning and I am noticing one advantage all ready. This thing truly will use all the juice you drip. Cotton as we know soaks it up and when you change you toss a bit of juice each time. Throughout the morning the vapor production has actually improved. Being quartz is nonporous, I'm not sure what to say has helped this. As for flavor, it is consistent as I could ever ask for from fresh dripping, to almost empty. I vamped it as low as possible, no dry hit, just simply little to know vapor. So far the crystal hasn't weakened that I can tell, and it definitely hasn't cracked under the heat. So far, very happy with it.
vapor production may be improving much like the ceramic rods do over time. Like I had mentioned about ceramic, a tighter coil worked best, so if initial wraps weren't tight, in time gunk had filled in voids between wick and coil increasing vapor and flavor in time.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
So after watching this thread from the beginning what is everyone's vote? Is this a viable wick that we should all try?
Personally I think it's going to take a very special wicking material to compete with what's currently out there, and I'm pretty sure it's not quartz.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Quartz is very clean, uses up 100% of the liquid and can be rinsed clean. The vapour production is not great and it is probably limited to drippers with vertical or slanted coils. It is also not too easy to find and probably not the easiest to coil.

My guess would be that it is an interesting wick to try, but maybe not one for every day. It does, however, have all the right characteristics for a liquid-tasting rig.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I've heard some chatter on the web about it. Stirring rods have been played with..

Those wicks look crazy. Jewels for your coil - coil jewels.

Well have to see how it works, may be limited in attys it works on but the thought of glass wicks is seen as the ultimate in neutral wicking if works well day in day out.

I Always like to see experiments in the innovation of vaping.

I've seen other posts on glass wicks around the vaping community.

Last edited:

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Again, I highly doubt this will ever replace my organic cotton, but it is working great so far. I am using it day in and day out, but I am still keeping my eVic on me with organic cotton. I'm using both throughout the day, and the quartz is holding up great. I would never say "everyone switch to quartz!!!" but it has been fun to experiment with, and I am very pleased with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread