Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
You think I’m very wrong?!?!?!?!
So are you telling me that ss wire LIKES to be burn. Nothing and I mean NOTHING likes to be burned. Ss wire is no different from anything else, if you try to burn it, it will strike back. Just like anything else. Except lava, lava doesn’t like to get wet. If you do try to get lava wet it spits on you. But that’s the only exception. Lava......
Great philosophical point. But (as usual with philosophy) it has very little in common with reality, for our case with reality of dry burning of our coils.
SS 316 usually comes in annealed state, and annealing consists of heating it to 1900 to 2150° F, light yellow - white color on a temperature color chart (which was posted already twice in this thread). So, yes, in some ways steels do like to be heated (or "burned" in your terminology). Heating of steels may affect their mechanical properties, i.e. alter effects of heat treatment (such as annealing and quenching). It has nothing to do with health hazards, it just changes steel microstructure (grain size, carbide precipitation, etc.) Thankfully, our coils do not need high mechanical properties, they designed just to hold a cotton wick, nothing more. 316L intermittent service temperature is 1700F (orange on the color chart). So, if you are still concerned with mechanical properties of your coil, do not go higher than dark orange, and everything will be OK.
By the way, have you seen heating elements in an oven or wire in an toaster glowing red? Is it of a health concern for you?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Great philosophical point. But (as usual with philosophy) it has very little in common with reality, for our case with reality of dry burning of our coils.
SS 316 usually comes in annealed state, and annealing consists of heating it to 1900 to 2150° F, light yellow - white color on a temperature color chart (which was posted already twice in this thread). So, yes, in some ways steels do like to be heated (or "burned" in your terminology). Heating of steels may affect their mechanical properties, i.e. alter effects of heat treatment (such as annealing and quenching). It has nothing to do with health hazards, it just changes steel microstructure (grain size, carbide precipitation, etc.) Thankfully, our coils do not need high mechanical properties, they designed just to hold a cotton wick, nothing more. 316L intermittent service temperature is 1700F (orange on the color chart). So, if you are still concerned with mechanical properties of your coil, do not go higher than dark orange, and everything will be OK.
By the way, have you seen heating elements in an oven or wire in an toaster glowing red? Is it of a health concern for you?

Humor and sarcasm are completely lost on you. He is talking about the wire as if it is alive and it doesn't "want" to be burned, that it is "striking back" by releasing toxins as a "defensive" reaction. You may as well be trying to argue the "airspeed velocity of a swallow" with Monte Python.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, I was going to mention that you may be "anthromorphizing" your wire, there. Honestly, "things" don't "like" or "dislike" being burned (at least, so far, has science taken us.) Until we can prove that inanimate objects are alive, things don't "like" or dislike anything. They may respond in various different ways, but I don't think they have "feelings" about it. You aren't going to get an "angry" SS wire to behave any differently when dry burned than a "placid" one for example. The nice thing about "things" are that they are inanimate and their "reactions" to the environment can be repeatable, to an extent.

Everyone should decide for themselves what they want to do with SS wire (IMO) because the exact "facts" about it, well, it seems they appear open to interpretation. My guess is, dry burning is probably okay, but since I err on the side of "safety" for myself I never do much more than gently pulse my wire as I clean it using a variety of methods.... If I'm wrong, I figure I am "wrong" in the "right" direction (safety) which is better than being wrong in reverse, in this instance. .But that is my take and mine only, I don't much care to argue it given the information I'm working with.

I'm getting so old! If I can err on the side of caution these days, I tend to do it! Akk! This fact is almost more disturbing than my grey hair (which I kind of like) LOL.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Really?
And do you really believe humor and sarcasm are so lightweight they do not carry any information and opinion?

I think using reason and logic to argue against an illogical comedic post, is missing the point. I keep forgetting though, that you are not of this world. :D For the record I do not disagree with what you said. Sometimes you just have to recognize the humor for what it is though.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
For the record I do not believe ss wire to like or dislike anything. I was of course being sarcastic. I have no worries about ss wire releasing anything. It’s the only wire I use and have no fears of any health issues caused by it. Really I didn’t even stop smoking because of health concerns. I stopped because of the cost. Although I do enjoy vaping and the great flavors so even if the price of cigarettes dropped I don’t think I’d start again. So all the fears of toxins caused by vaping is lost on me so I make jokes. I thought it was a funny premise, so sorry if it has caused any confusion. As a plus if anyone was concerned alien traveler gave some great information to ease those concerns, I think anyway I didn’t read them.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I stopped because of the cost.

This was my primary motivation as well. Between the wife an I, we were essentially setting over $300/mo on fire. While we could "afford it" there were too many other things I would have rather done with that money. Now we are both vaping and we spend MAYBE $10/month.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
You mean that wire doesn't feel pain and doesn't retaliate? I'll bet that next you will unmask the mall Santa Claus, telling me he is just a total stranger who cares nothing about me. You, sir, are a cruel cad.

For the record I do not believe ss wire to like or dislike anything. I was of course being sarcastic. I have no worries about ss wire releasing anything. It’s the only wire I use and have no fears of any health issues caused by it. Really I didn’t even stop smoking because of health concerns. I stopped because of the cost. Although I do enjoy vaping and the great flavors so even if the price of cigarettes dropped I don’t think I’d start again. So all the fears of toxins caused by vaping is lost on me so I make jokes. I thought it was a funny premise, so sorry if it has caused any confusion. As a plus if anyone was concerned alien traveler gave some great information to ease those concerns, I think anyway I didn’t read them.

Reactions: Rossum

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
This was my primary motivation as well. Between the wife an I, we were essentially setting over $300/mo on fire. While we could "afford it" there were too many other things I would have rather done with that money. Now we are both vaping and we spend MAYBE $10/month.
Health + cost here.
We were burning through $300 each per month here in Taxachusetts.
Now we vape for less than $25/mo including her Nautilus coils.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
We were following you....don't worry, the joke wasn't lost on us veterans. Anyone who's been around for awhile knows it's Nichrome 80 that gets all moody and cops a 'tude when burned. SS is a pretty chill material.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
We were following you....don't worry, the joke wasn't lost on us veterans. Anyone who's been around for awhile knows it's Nichrome 80 that gets all moody and cops a 'tude when burned. SS is a pretty chill material.
I knew some here would pick up what I was putting down. The reason I use ss is because nichrome’s issues. I had to get a restraining order because of the trouble caused by that damn wire. @Eskie thats not a bad idea. Maybe if I show my wire more respect it will stop spitting on me. This thread has been so helpful for me. I hope everyone that reads it will get as much useful information about coils and wires as I have. Thank you all

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I knew some here would pick up what I was putting down. The reason I use ss is because nichrome’s issues. I had to get a restraining order because of the trouble caused by that damn wire. @Eskie thats not a bad idea. Maybe if I show my wire more respect it will stop spitting on me. This thread has been so helpful for me. I hope everyone that reads it will get as much useful information about coils and wires as I have. Thank you all
Well, the title clearly states "Facts" about dry burning SS.... So, obviously, it's our responsibility to keep it on track and accurate. :eek:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Am I overdoing it by naming my coils when I make them? I thought they would appreciate the extra effort and caring. I mean, ever since I started that, I haven't had a coil spit hot juice into my mouth.

Just don't pet Betsy when she's hot Eskie. And yes, do try not to swallow.

:D Good luck.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
African or European swallow?
Keepo.png

I can almost hear the cringe :lol:

• Agree
Reactions: ScottP

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Ok dumb question: why dry burn in the first place?
Is it to clean a used coil? To burn off oils or whatnot on the wire to begin with? Or initially to get it or make sure its firing without hot spots? To crimp the contact micro coil?
I use SS 316 always and with TC...
I use spaced when I have room but lately using micro's in my MTL atomizers. Honestly, because I wasn't sure about this subject, I've been not even glowing my coils which need to be rebuilt every few days.
I can't remember that far back when I first learned about rebuilding and making your own coils... 2010? duh.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread