Facts about dry burning SS 316L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I know welding with stainless is very harmful to your lungs but I dont know what temp it creates toxins all metal created gasses that should not be inhaled when melted. but we are not melting them
I don't think st st welding is very toxic to our systems. I know chromium, nickel, carbon and the other minerals in the make up of st st, aren't toxic minerals, except in allergic situations. Each of those minerals actually has a role to play in our bodies. We are basically made up of those minerals.
The toxins is in the shielding of the welding process. TIG and MIG welding uses inert gas, so that is as "safe" it can be. An excess amount of those gases in the body aren't desirable, but the body does get rid of it.
To me that lessens the risk substantialy in a vape coil situation.
With dry burning st st at the yellow and white temps, degassing does occur. The question is WHEN does it occur?
That's why I think a study needs to be done. Set the parameters so everybody...pro and anti vape knows the facts.
I'm sure your FDA will ask for it, in time.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Yeah we need some remediation in here, before we all get mesothelioma. :D

You mean having guys in biohazard suits come in and take Asbestos away?

Seriously, this has been a great thread for me. I've just started using SS and I was trying to figure this stuff out. Tried searching the forum but didn't find much, just passing comments here and there. There was a bunch of useful information packed into this thread. Should have thrown around some Likes as I went through, pity there isn't a way of liking a Thread.

So thanks everyone who contributed.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
The only concern is Cr(VI). As was mentioned many times we need temperatures of welding (melting) to get some Cr(VI) from stainless steel. Melting point of SS316L is 2540-2630° F (1390-1440° C). You may want to look on a color chart of hot metal color to determine a temperature of your coil.
Know Temperature when metal glows red | Hearth.com Forums Home
Do not go above "dark orange" and you are safe.

metal-color-temp-chart-png.100306

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
10 to 20 watts only
Why?
I pulse mine around 3.7v and depending on ohms Watts greatly varies. Just pulse red and you're perfectly fine for it's significantly under the melting point when the toxins "start" to be released.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Yeah I wonder at what temp does gunk burn...? :D
Maybe we need some parameters for that to..:p
At my work I used to clean platinum parts heating them to bright white color (meaning well above 2200 F) and they came out perfectly clean. Of course we cannot heat our wires that high, so we cannot clean them perfectly. We only can burn out organic stuff, transforming organic compounds to inorganic. It improves taste greatly, but does not clean a wire completely. For a bit more info you may want to look at my older post:
Coil under electron microscope
As for which temperature use, I have no advice. For myself I decided to use something about 1700 F. I believe higher is better for cleanness, but I do not want to expose my wire to too high temperatures. And some worries about overheating of insulators...

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Dry-burning metal coils: is it a good thing
By Dr Farsalinos and Pedro Carvalho (material sciences expert)

Spoiler: No, not really

Dry-burning metal coils: is it a good thing?
This "work" by Dr.Farsalinos was discussed here before. He had written complete bullmanure. Too bad when a medical doctor try to discuss metallurgical things as if he knows what he is writing about. But he even does not know that there are no molecules in metals. Do not pay any attention to him. And Pedro Calvaro is no material sciences expert if he really encouraged Dr. Farcalinos to publish such a nonsense.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
This "work" by Dr.Farsalinos was discussed here before. He had written complete bullmanure. Too bad when a medical doctor try to discuss metallurgical things as if he knows what he is writing about. But he even does not know that there are no molecules in metals. Do not pay any attention to him. And Pedro Calvaro is no material sciences expert if he really encouraged Dr. Farcalinos to publish such a nonsense.

Yes, that was unfortunate. Regrettably such unqualified information makes its way prominently into the web and is difficult to counter effectively. I'm working on responses for two target vape company info pages at the moment that are featuring highly in some keyword returns whose owners should withdraw or revise. I think if more of us did this as we peruse vendors and other vape sites it would be beneficial to us all in the long term. Misinformation published by participants in our own industry can be as damaging or more so than the propaganda fielded by the anti-vaping mass media. What gets on the web lives forever.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
So for the sake of argument let's just say dry firing SS coils releases toxins.

After you have dry fired to a happy bright glow, holding your breath so you don't slump to the floor unconscious then cleaned and rewicked. Would the coil keep releasing toxic fumes with normal vaping because it's integrity was compromised? Is that what people are saying?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
So for the sake of argument let's just say dry firing SS coils releases toxins.

After you have dry fired to a happy bright glow, holding your breath so you don't slump to the floor unconscious then cleaned and rewicked. Would the coil keep releasing toxic fumes with normal vaping because it's integrity was compromised? Is that what people are saying?

I think what they are saying is that the oxodized layer created by dry burning is toxic and can get into the vapor.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I think what they are saying is that the oxodized layer created by dry burning is toxic and can get into the vapor.
Toxins are released at it's melting point, if someone heats their coils to the melting point (white hot for extended period of time) they're seriously doing it wrong.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Toxins are released at it's melting point, if someone heats their coils to the melting point (white hot for extended period of time) they're seriously doing it wrong.

I don't disagree. I was just saying what I think the "chicken littles" are getting at. I dry burn my SS every time I clean it with zero concerns.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I think what happens is once the ss wire has been dryburn it gets damaged. As a natural defense ss then releases toxins to try to defend itself from ever being dry burned again. It’s a natural reaction and I think stainless steel is the only metal that has this particular defense mechanism. Maybe aluminum does too, I don’t remember but we don’t use that metal for coils anyway. I’ll have to go back and watch a documentary about this. If anyone is interested it’s called the happening. Very good documentary, came out some years back. Scary stuff, when you back some metals into a corner they will lash out so let’s be careful people. Us vapers have to look out for one another and keep each other safe.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think what happens is once the ss wire has been dryburn it gets damaged. As a natural defense ss then releases toxins to try to defend itself from ever being dry burned again. It’s a natural reaction and I think stainless steel is the only metal that has this particular defense mechanism. Maybe aluminum does too, I don’t remember but we don’t use that metal for coils anyway. I’ll have to go back and watch a documentary about this. If anyone is interested it’s called the happening. Very good documentary, came out some years back. Scary stuff, when you back some metals into a corner they will lash out so let’s be careful people. Us vapers have to look out for one another and keep each other safe.

Nothing worse than a ...... off metal wire. Probably explains why the little leg clippings always land on the floor and sting your feet.

That and burn your toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread