Random DIY mixing and More

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
So I’m assuming FW YC does gunk coils.
Yes; it's a reputedly significant coil gunker. Mostly because it uses fructose (a sugar) as the sweetening agent. That makes it a double "NO" for me. :rolleyes::D
So I now have one measly flavor on my wishlist.....TFA Green Tea.
I hope you are not disappointed with the TFA-Green Tea, Fran. I like both TFA's GT, and also their Earl Grey Tea. Their Black Tea is just down right nasty to my palate. For GT and EGT, start at 4% (if doing single flavor testing), and go from there.:)

I have not been big on fruited teas, so I tend to use them as stand-alones, or mix with a bit of fresh mint or occasionally honey (though I am guessing honey is not exactly in your wheelhouse;)). A gentle application of a light cream can be kind of nice for a change too. A dash of horchata might send it in the direction of a chai tea (but would probably need a smidgen of clove and ginger too). :D

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yes; it's a reputedly significant coil gunker. Mostly because it uses fructose (a sugar) as the sweetening agent. That makes it a double "NO" for me. :rolleyes::D

I hope you are not disappointed with the TFA-Green Tea, Fran. I like both TFA's GT, and also their Earl Grey Tea. Their Black Tea is just down right nasty to my palate. For GT and EGT, start at 4% (if doing single flavor testing), and go from there.:)

I have not been big on fruited teas, so I tend to use them as stand-alones, or mix with a bit of fresh mint or occasionally honey (though I am guessing honey is not exactly in your wheelhouse;)). A gentle application of a light cream can be kind of nice for a change too. A dash of horchata might send it in the direction of a chai tea (but would probably need a smidgen of clove and ginger too). :D
    Thanks,Joel. Upped the TFA Green Tea to 30ml. Pretty sure I tried the Earl Grey at some point and didn't like it.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I use TFA-Smooth, the same as @dc99 described:

In my experience:
    It is good for softening sharp/harsh notes. It can also be useful for taming(muting?) high notes and allowing background notes to come through better. Comparing it to FA-MTS vape Wizard is pretty solid (though I don't know if it uses the same taste bud receptor "novocain" principle).

It has no sweetness of its own; but it can allow preexisting sweetness to stand out more, as it dampens the sharp notes.

I used it a fair amount, during my early days of mixing, when my flavor stash was more limited. But, as my stash grew, I found that I could get similar/better results by using a different concentrate, and/or adjusting flavor percentages.

More recently; I find less use for it. It can still be useful, as a band-aid of sorts, to resurrect/redeem a "less than ideal" experiment. It is less of a go-to ingredient; and more of a last-resort rescue ingredient.

I do still like to have it available in my stash. As, it can give a second chance to disappointing concentrate; or help make a concentrate more versatile.
    :)
    I haven’t considered using as a “bandaid” or fix. I’ll remember to try it this way. I’ve always thought to use a bit when I want blending opposed to layering and / or, as your mentioned, rounding out those sharp notes etc. Thanks for sharing though! Might be just what I need in a few mixes I’ve pushed aside, not sure what to do with.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I haven’t considered using as a “bandaid” or fix. I’ll remember to try it this way. I’ve always thought to use a bit when I want blending opposed to layering and / or, as your mentioned, rounding out those sharp notes etc. Thanks for sharing though! Might be just what I need in a few mixes I’ve pushed aside, not sure what to do with.
    I was thinking I actually didn't have much use for the Smooth as I like the sharp notes. It might be good to try in a mix that would otherwise go right down the drain.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I have FA .Pomegranate, and I like it. On it's own yeah, I'd describe it as a slightly tarter (natural fresh cherry) almost a bit astringent. I like it with bilberry and a bunch of other fruits, it can sort of just tart things up a bit... But, I really like actual pomegranates. Etc.

Anna
    I know natural cherry is rather MIA in DIY but from your review it sounds like pom might be a great natural cherry booster. Would you agree?

Last edited:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I placed an order for some new flavorings. I got Capella vanilla custard V1
    Purilum super sweet
    Purilum bananascotch cream
    Purilum simply cake
    I wanted to make a good creamy flavorful cake to mix with some tobacco. This is the second time ordering that I didn’t get tfa pistachio and fa butterscotch ripple. Somehow they keep getting bumped to bring the cost down. The 4th I’m putting my foot down and getting those to flavors. I have been wanting to make a pistachio juice for forever now and the butterscotch ripple mixed with PUR sweet tobacco has been around for several months. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the B-scotch ripple and yet it never makes it to checkout. Same with pistachio but next time they will be ordered. They’re on a no bounce list. Anyway wish me luck with the flavors I’ve got coming and if something stands out I’ll post it here. Also if anyone has a good suggestion for the flavors I’ve listed, please share.
    Check out my pistachio gelato. It’s tasty! I linked the original recipe in which I had to sub FA pistachio initially. I made a few minor adjustments. I’ve mixed using both pistachios and they both work great. I need to mix more of this one as I’m completely out atm. This was in daily rotation for a couple months. Time to bring it back:p

Users who are viewing this thread