The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Random DIY mixing and More

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. gpjoe

gpjoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Up North

• Like Like x 7
  3. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Lunatic ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Had my first diy eureka moment :)

I've been trying to make a mint vanilla ice cream - all my testers were either too mentholly or just weren't quite right.

Read up on some flavour reviews - saw one that said tfa vanilla swirl tastes like soft serve, so I used that instead of tfa van bean ice cream. Also overdid the marshmallow and I got the taste I was after :D

Ordering some tfa creme de menthe for the next batch (thank you @PJReid )

Mint Ice Cream
    Tfa Vanilla Swirl 5%
    Tfa Whipped Cream 5%
    Tfa Marshmallow 4%
    10% Menthol 0.25%
    Sweetener 1% (optional - I'm used to store ejuice)

Its a sweet creamy mix ideal for beginners (like me) - who like mint but want some ooomph

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good for you:) Enjoy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    @PJReid What size testers do you normally mix and how long do you keep them?

• Like Like x 4
  6. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I mix 5 to 10 ml depending out whether or not I will want to steep, test, then steep and test several more times. So far, I have kept them all but I will probably toss quite a few as I pack up my gear for my move. I will take with me the ones, like VTA Blood Orange Champagne, that need to steep before a final test. I will only keep the testers as long as necessary to make good notes after a steep.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ok,pretty much what I thought

• Like Like x 4
  8. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    @FranC - I noticed in going back over my notes doc that I neglected to state on some the % used in the test. I think that it is important to note that. :rolleyes: Guess I have some work to do before I toss the testers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    WOOHOO! Vape mail began arriving today.
    VapeMail

I'm impressed. 3 orders placed the evening of July 3rd (BCF, NR, NG). Two delivered today (BCF, NR). (Sorry, NR; you came in third.) Considering the orders were placed Tuesday after hours on a holiday eve, and at the mercy of USPS, both the vendors and the Post Office have exceeded my expectations!
    [​IMG]

Now that I am looking at the boxes; I am beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed. I now realize my stash is going to need major reorganization!:shock:

So, here's my question:
    How can I label my concentrate tops, so that the labels can be seen from the top? I have bottles ranging in size of 10, 15, and 30mL. The cap shapes range from small flat caps on the 8 & 10mL vials, to the conical caps that are common on the 10-30mL dripper bottles.

I've got an idea, but I wanted to see if anyone else has already figured it out, and I can stop re-inventing the wheel.:facepalm::D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  10. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    My son-in-law is shipping a car from Virginia to Seattle. My husband suggested that instead of shipping my mixing gear, I put it in the car that is being shipped. I worry about heat, etc. but thought I would ask for opinions here. I know you all have opinions. Shipping this stuff Priority Mail is going to be expensive but worth it not to ruin anything. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 7
  11. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member

Is the car shipping by weight or by just the car ?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. laurie9300

laurie9300 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    I long time ago I saw someone do this.....

They used tiny round sticky dots and numbered them, and a spreadsheet to look up the number for each flavour.

• Like x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  13. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I agree about the heat. Especially for nic and flavors. Those I would mail. Anything else DIY should be fine as long as its well packed.

:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Good question. I will ask him. My stuff won't weigh much compared to a 3000lb car, so it would probably be okay BUT is it safe for my flavors, etc?

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Seem it would get as hot shipping USPS. You could use cold packs in freezer bags shipping in the car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Yes, I thought about that. I have some from Amazon Fresh deliveries so it might be better than USPS. We shall see.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    For the tiny tops color coding should work. Maybe on each cap one color for brand, second for type (cream-fruit-custard-ect), third for long/short steep-high/low percentage needed. Just create and print yourself a color wheel to reference.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I'm thinking out loud:
    Heat is a definite "NO" for nic. I would aim for transporting in the coolest, fastest, manner.

Flavors are more heat tolerant than nic; but I would still want to minimize exposure. If you are repacking anyway (not taking your train(?) cases), and depending on how much room is available in the car (trunk/passenger compartment), using an cooler/ice chest w/o ice, might be enough. I would think a quality cooler, out of direct sunlight, ought to provide some significant protection from excessive heat even without using ice.

For extra protection, and again depending on how much you want to take; using Styrofoam "perishable" containers (like they use to ship frozen meat & seafood cross country) inside a cooler might add an extra layer of protection. I don't know if you have container stores close to you. You could also check with local grocery stores, or even butcher shops & fish merchants, and see if they might have throw-away insulated boxes they would be willing to give/sell you.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    How long will the car be enroute and can the products stay in the air conditioning if being manually delivered?

• Like Like x 6
  20. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    How long will it take to ship the car? How is it being shipped? Truck? Train?

:)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1