Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I run a 2.5mmID 5 wrap 29/34 rayon clapton 1.2Ω in a STM. It depends on the atty but the bigger coils can hinder airflow. Getting the same ohm range using 28 core/34 wrap clapton was a 3.5ID build using up the entire deck area. 30 gauge core was too flimsy and doesn't wick well thus easily distorting with tight rayon.
Tail thinning to reduce the massive thick tails that can choke the juice flow so less tail is better. Brush something pointy through the tail to remove fiber fluff without removing from inside the coil.
A slight space between wraps so there is no contact coil allowing even vaporizing of the juice and also so the center doesn't get too hot from not enough juice getting to the center. I don't believe in contact coils.
A properly wicked rayon build for me has zero breakin taste, it takes several mls of juice before full power is applied to breakin the build. IMO the breakin taste is loose wicking cause once juiced the rayon settles upon itself...not shrink so ya squeaky tight. The more dryburns a coil has the less integrity the coil has so it becomes so much easier to distort a recycled dryburned coil than a fresh build having to wick the rayon tight.
I have run the nastiest multiwire subohm builds to 1.8Ω old skool builds and the rayon kept up right till the coil was cocooned with burnt crusty, quick rinse and the rayon is barely browned. The coil poops out long before the rayon goes and that never will happen with cotton...all goes back to opposite properties between rayon and cotton.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
6 wraps of 26g k here. With my mtl rtas, I have settled on 2.3 ish mm coils between. 6 and .7 ohms. It just depends on one's vaping style to what their particular builds are. I like a fairly warm and fast vape at 24mg nic, so have settled around 20 to 23 watts. I also like a fast glowing coil, so I use 6 wraps. If I prefered a slower coil, perhaps I would go with an extra wrap maybe. I have tried 3 wraps, but back before micro or macro coils, in fact everyone was doing 3 and 4 wraps, but it was with 30 , 32, or 36g with silica wicks and really low power. I think if you wanted to try 3 wraps you would need to definitely do some old school spaced coils with a thicker wire and larger ID'. Or if your a low powered vapor, you can use a much thinner wire for your 3 wrapper

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
4 wraps, 2X26/36 SS316L fused claptons are the bomb for my mech squonk rdas. 3 wraps would be too low of a res.

As far as wrap count in general I limit the length of the coil to no more than 1.75X the coil ID. Any longer than that has historically caused the coil center to starve for juice. I run 75vg exclusively.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Been using rayon for a long time and have wicked it every way imaginable. Wicking to me is everything and have probably wicked more rta's then most. Same with cotton, as when cotton first arrived no one really knew haw to wick it because everyone was using silica and totally different coils, so every post back then was about wicking. From that moment one I was dedicated to find what worked the best and continued that to rayon. I know 100 percent my juices cannot possibly taste better because I have tested many many times and know for sure. I agree that if you wick it tighter , you will get more out of your wick in terms of longevity, but you will have muted flavor until that wick breaks in. One the other hand if you wick it just right, you will not suffer thru that muted flavor , but agreed the wick won't last as long, but as for flavor, no difference at all. I wick my rayon pretty tight, tight enough to when I pull my old wicks with 26g I just cannot pull them out without distortion. I have to rinse the old wicks first and then pull back and forth a few times before I can eventually slide them out and with that my juice tastes almost perfect after a few pulls. Like you I also have tried much more in coil to where I had to cut the old wicks out and I definitely got much more longevity out of them, but had to vape a couple days with crapy flavor and once it did break in, the flavor was no different. Even if the flavor was slightly better , I still wouldn't vape 2 days with muted flavor, I just don't see the point because wicking takes like 5 minutes to do

I wick very tightly as well and it was destroying my coils taking them out even with holding them with a fingernail. I’ve recently started to clip one side of the wick as close to the coil as possible and it just slides out now. Easy peasy!

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I have settled on 2.3 ish mm coils between. 6 and .7 ohms. It just depends on one's vaping style to what their particular builds are. I like a fairly warm and fast vape at 24mg nic

OOOwhaaaaaa.... .7 using 24 nic would snap the eyes back taking a good honest hit. You have too short blast the 24 not to rip the throat being a subohm build. I dunno your vape habits but adding a clapton wrap of 34 or 36, you'd need a bit more power but gives you a moment of extra vape as the wraps ramp up then a shorter more condensed vape in less time. I run a 29k/34SS 1.2Ω single core clapton at 14 watts so one need the higher watts to heat up the wraps efficiently. Since that first TFV4 rba that had a clapton preinstalled few years back I have not built a single wire build since, for me...game changing...nothing but clapton builds now.
Claptons are thirsty so DIY is best not having too care anything about juices.

I wick very tightly as well and it was destroying my coils taking them out even with holding them with a fingernail. I’ve recently started to clip one side of the wick as close to the coil as possible and it just slides out now. Easy peasy!

I just run it under the water and take out bits at a time from both sides with tweezers, eventually the rest will slide out. I never understood why one thinks they have to remove the wicking all in one piece??
Its putting it in you screw the rayon through using the direction of the wraps then back screw both sides a little too more or less straighten and compact the fibers at the end wraps. You can't pull rayon through like cotton or your thinning out the center...has to be twisted then screwed through to keep the center from thinning. That pulling and thinning the center can also be a cause for breakin taste that some have that there should be no breakin taste at all with rayon.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidOck

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I totally agree, been doing that for a while now. And it is easier that almost destroying the coil.

:)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
OOOwhaaaaaa.... .7 using 24 nic would snap the eyes back taking a good honest hit. You have too short blast the 24 not to rip the throat being a subohm build. I dunno your vape habits but adding a clapton wrap of 34 or 36, you'd need a bit more power but gives you a moment of extra vape as the wraps ramp up then a shorter more condensed vape in less time. I run a 29k/34SS 1.2Ω single core clapton at 14 watts so one need the higher watts to heat up the wraps efficiently. Since that first TFV4 rba that had a clapton preinstalled few years back I have not built a single wire build since, for me...game changing...nothing but clapton builds now.
Claptons are thirsty so DIY is best not having too care anything about juices. .
I have tried many claptons, all different gauges and I personally think it's gimmicky. At my wattages and my mtl rtas , I seen no difference in flavor what so ever. I tried a really thin one that ramped up as fast as my 26g and it was just way to flimbsy and didnt last half as long, i then tried one slighly thicker and it just took way to long to heat. I would of needed either 3 wraps only or like 30 watts to equal my preferance .it's taken me many years to dial my sweet spot, so I guess it would have to be a game changer for me to switch and the claptons just weren't it...I know many love them, so there has to be something to them, but to me was a waste of time. Personally I think they might shine at much higher power, but compared to my 26g at 20 watts, I much preferred the 26g. I know many find 24mg crazy these days, but I love that intense TH, but my hits are very short, maybe like less the 2 seconds and only vape like 2.5mls per day and it just suits me perfectly and that coil I feel is optimal for that duration.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I have tried many claptons, all different gauges and I personally think it's gimmicky.
It didn't work that way for me. I too vape 95% by MTL. And my Ni200 26/32 Claptons are superior to any single round wire I have tried. And the weird thing about nickel is gunk doesn't stick too well on them. SS316L on the other hand will gunk up very quickly and you have to remove the wicking every few days just to dry burn the coils (since the gunk doesn't just wipe off like it does with nickel).

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It didn't work that way for me. I too vape 95% by MTL. And my Ni200 26/32 Claptons are superior to any single round wire I have tried. And the weird thing about nickel is gunk doesn't stick too well on them. SS316L on the other hand will gunk up very quickly and you have to remove the wicking every few days just to dry burn the coils (since the gunk doesn't just wipe off like it does with nickel).
I heard that about nickel not gunking as much, pretty cool....when I get home I will let you know which ones I tried. Both were from lighting vapes I believe and I think one was 28/32 but was maybe half ss, half kanthal. I forgot the other but it was slightly thicker gauge but nichrome maybe? I did try both for weeks and because I have multiples of the same rta's, I tested both side by side with the same juice and couldn't tell any difference in flavor at all, but maybe it's my taste buds perhaps and just couldn't distinguish the difference. Sort of like some can tell the difference between a new coil and a 3 month old coil ( my coils seem fine and I usually gets many months out of them, but do vape up to 7 different set ups each day) but I cannot. My 3 or 4 month coil tates just as good as a new coil, so who knows...I often think differences are in the mind, as sometimes I swear a particular wicking material or build tastes better side by side, but when I ask my wife to do a blind taste test, I couldn't tell any difference really.....

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
There's 6 contact wraps of 26ga N80 (2.5mm) in that Origen Little running at 20W. The juice is 24mg Salts and it's very smooth, you actually have to be careful as its quit easy to overdo it with Salts. ;)

Origin Little & Harambae.jpg

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Ooh, those wild Canadians and their high octane eliquids [emoji3]

My twisted kanthal builds really suit me, whether in a mech or a regulated device at about 34w. I like how structurally sound the wire is, easy to work with.

I vape a decent amount, up to 30 ml/day depending on what I'm doing (thankfully I diy), though down around 2mg. I had a minor medical procedure this past week, so will be mainly using 0 nic for a couple weeks; that was a really easy change, though I don't plan to stay 0 nic (I like the mild stimulant effect, especially when driving long distances or needing to stay focused on work).

I still only run around 90 ml before changing coils and wick, know I could go longer with rayon but prefer fresh setups. Once in a while I'll just change the rayon, and the results are solid, as expected.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Ooh, those wild Canadians and their high octane eliquids [emoji3]

My twisted kanthal builds really suit me, whether in a mech or a regulated device at about 34w. I like how structurally sound the wire is, easy to work with.

I vape a decent amount, up to 30 ml/day depending on what I'm doing (thankfully I diy), though down around 2mg. I had a minor medical procedure this past week, so will be mainly using 0 nic for a couple weeks; that was a really easy change, though I don't plan to stay 0 nic (I like the mild stimulant effect, especially when driving long distances or needing to stay focused on work).

I still only run around 90 ml before changing coils and wick, know I could go longer with rayon but prefer fresh setups. Once in a while I'll just change the rayon, and the results are solid, as expected.
Wow! How do you find the time in day to vape 30ml a day?

I'm retired and I vape 4 to 5ml a day. And I vape in my sleep too. Somehow my vape never leaves my hand while in bed.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
2mg nic isn't very much and ya 30 mls is a lot but with a well tuned atty/build one can vape concentrated cloudz and exorbitant amounts of juice. I can pound a STM 4mls in a law & order episode with a basic single core clapton 7 nic tobac juice...now the next 23 hours. lol
DIY opens a whole new world of being able to vape as much as you want without giving a chit. Being cheap is just its perk, its the quality of juice one can make that makes it easy to vape 30mls a day

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
2mg nic isn't very much and ya 30 mls is a lot but with a well tuned atty/build one can vape concentrated cloudz and exorbitant amounts of juice. I can pound a STM 4mls in a law & order episode with a basic single core clapton 7 nic tobac juice...now the next 23 hours. lol
DIY opens a whole new world of being able to vape as much as you want without giving a chit. Being cheap is just its perk, its the quality of juice one can make that makes it easy to vape 30mls a day
I'd love to diy but all of my attempts came out terrible. I'm a very picky tobacco flavor vaper and I just can't find the right tobacco flavor.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'd love to diy but all of my attempts came out terrible. I'm a very picky tobacco flavor vaper and I just can't find the right tobacco flavor.

Good ol Chinese 555 was my first juice and most other flavors just don't appeal to me. Today I may have a dozen different tobacco blends but only 2 other flavors...grape and cola that I vape for the last few years. Ultra finicky and cause of some OMG crap commercial juices, many flavors I don't like. Spent my first 2 years vaping trying to find a commercial tobac vape that I would buy a 2nd time....no luck. One was hangsen highway..30vg/70pg 18nic and its a good vape but harsh along with nic'd juices becoming a hassle over borders for vapemail. One of my first DIY feats was changing the jugs of 30/70 Highway to 50/50 and it was amazing vape
Its chitty your DIY wasn't a good experience. It was Hangsen tobacs that did the trick for me. Can't get leaf tobacco here in Canada or I'd be making NETS. One thing I did learn is that DIY sample tobac at 5% tastes like YUK but that same at 1 or 2% its totally different. Its that dirt-ashtray sharp smell in a juice or concentrate that cost me lots buying commercial juice and some concentrates that I considered wasted money and never touched a atty.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
One thing I did learn is that DIY sample tobac at 5% tastes like YUK but that same at 1 or 2% its totally different.

Quite true ime as well. Many tobacco flavors (and others as well) do best at lower percentages. And most tobacco flavors also won't be good without a LONG steep, 4 weeks or more. (Sometimes much more!)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
My first DIY was aiming for a Camel unfiltered. Tob 4 used Seedman Commercial Concentrate and a bit of tobacco absolute.

I rebuilt the two galaxies rdta Friday, the light vanilla blend tastes excellent. I never did get the hang of cotton, but rayon just plain works for me [emoji3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread