Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Rewicked back to rayon today. Gotta say its absolutely great!

It's blowing away everything I've used in an rba tank. Went back to hemp for a day to compare. I got a dry hit on hemp and it was worse Than a dry hit with the rayon. Just sayin'

Do not skip this if you want better performance from your wicks. You will not be sorry you gave it a try. Turned even my old Protank 1 into a fog machine with amazing flavor. Best it's ever performed.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
We have no reports that alpaca works well or what it's like so far. I would imagine it to be similar to wool. But obviously slightly different.
Rayon kills everything I've tried once you use the correct density... Will be working with ramie for a while.

What's the correct density? Similar to cotton?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Little denser, it doesn't swell much at all. If you lightly roll it & Pull The ends to stretch it till right size to slide in the coil. Pretty hard to make it Too dense, as it Will rebound if you give it a second. If it's not dense enough it may collapse and be too small, easy to thread more in though.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I probably should say pretty dense but not severely compacted. Obviously like cotton if you taste the wick you used too much.. For me I was lucky nailed it on the first try.

Have you tried it kemo?

nope, not yet. i am hoping my melatonin bottles do indeed have rayon and not cotton. i seem to remember my last one having a material that was like cotton, but somewhat different but never paid it any mind. i just chucked it in the trash.
but now ive got two new bottles so hopefully one or both has the rayon. if they dont, do you know of any other sources for rayon?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Post 4759 in wick materials thread

See a difference ?

The rayon won't flash burn because its damp plus its a very small amount. I have dry burned it and it reacted like cotton.

I haven't read anything before about the use of the loose rayon fibers I've been trying.. In fact a forum search turned up nothing on the term rayon. only mention is the viscous bamboo/rayon known as Lydia's #10. (Most likely not bamboo anyway) google .gov viscous bamboo / bamboo rayon.

The rayon seems to be less touchy on the thickness used. This may be easier for some than cotton. It tastes similar to cotton when it dry hits. Which if wicked right is rare because of its higher capillary action compared to cotton. Google hydroponic information on it. It will naturally wick against gravity higher than cotton by 4-5 inches I believe.

Here's a pic of rayon vs cotton after 4 days about 20ml of same juice 90%vg

Rayon -

null_zpsb25e2fd5.jpg

Cotton -

null_zpsf9f97192.jpg

As always ymmv

Same exact coil and juice but the rayon Is so much cleaner!

why?

Because it wicks so much better keeping the coil nice and wet. Dryness is what gunks The coil. Think if your cooking something and its frying along Nicely them the juice burns off to dry and your left with gunk.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
5 days straight on the rayon this week if anything it seems to be wicking even faster. And from the start taking much more power than I was able to do with the degummed hemp.

Remove the wick from my vertical at 6 Days to throw a horizontal in. There is no scorching of the wick only staining from the coil being so gunked running high voltage.

null_zpsfff178d6.jpg

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Just wick a horizontal and it turned out great. I did max out the voltage a little early and got a little taste of the wick and I gotta say its the most neutral tasting wick.

Didn't get a pic of it before I put together but I got a pic of the wick size by the 1/16 bit I coiled on. As you can see its about twice as thick. And also you can not over roll it or compress it too much. No worries jut roll into nice wick, even if you twist it tight it comes right back. Thread though coil till a little resistance but not tight. You can twist a little to feed in but untwist and then slide to a nice even contact. If it's too thick after you roll it just pull the ends to stretch it a little to make it a little smaller.

null_zpsfe62c346.jpg

abpigdoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Alpharetta, GA USA
For the very life of me, I can't imagine why everyone isn't using this. I ordered a half pound (lifetime supply) of the TENCEL from that earlier posted website. Threw a 1.2 ohm 28g microcoil with the Tercel onto my Atty, and WOW! Vapor production is best ever, wicking amazingly well, and even turned down my wattage because the flavor was overcoming me with sweet, sweet deliciousness! I have Koh Gen DO cotton, and I thought that was good, but this is crazy! :laugh: Don't be a hater, just try it!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Awesome man!!!!

For the very life of me, I can't imagine why everyone isn't using this. I ordered a half pound (lifetime supply) of the TENCEL from that earlier posted website. Threw a 1.2 ohm 28g microcoil with the Tercel onto my Atty, and WOW! Vapor production is best ever, wicking amazingly well, and even turned down my wattage because the flavor was overcoming me with sweet, sweet deliciousness! I have Koh Gen DO cotton, and I thought that was good, but this is crazy! :laugh: Don't be a hater, just try it!

I know me too I was going to post a cricket or something that's all I've got. Crickets, that's it.

Its great isn't it, almost unbelievable what it can do. Works exceptionally in externally wicked coils too. I'm gonna have to go ahead and order some of that as my pile is getting small.

That's alright well keep it our secret. Glad you jumped in, I've been enjoying it for a while, now you see what I'm talking about. The haters can continue with thier business. Finally someone wasn't scared off by the boogie man. :)

On an aside-
Soon some one like rip will pick up on it and put it out there, then people will try it and be all around talking about this great Idea they got from whoever. It will be known in the community as thier idea; possibly even named after that person... All I'm saying is hey give props to the innovators. (There's a certain video maker that I have an issue with concerning this same Scenerio)

Last edited:

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
OK I've been passing by this thread for a week I finally read it, you guys are serious huh?
I've been a huge cotton cheerleader, I just tried xc - 116, blows, well not really I just prefer cotton.
Do you boil this from the above link or can I just run it?
Glad I finally took a look I'm gonna dive in!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread