Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I currently have a 7 wrap of 26g nichrome on a 2.5mm ID Microcoil and running it on a smok XPro M50 at 20watts. It's showing up at .5ohm. The coil I had in there previously was a 6 wrap spaced coil of 26g on 3mm ID and the ohms kept going all over the place. It would start at .5ohms and then up to .7, 1.1,1.2, .6, not sure why but the micro coil has stayed steady at .5ohms.
Sounds like a coil screw was loose or not making good contact.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Spaced coils fire every time from the start, don't get hot legs or need any tweaking. Unless there is mesh involved.;)

spaced-glow-jpg.464956

spaced-wicked-jpg.464955

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Okay... I think y'all finally convinced me to try this whole temp control thing... I'm looking at an Invader Mini... just because the thing appears to be nearly indestructible, but I want a higher wattage one as well. Preferably something that works with ni200 and Ti wire. I know the Evic VT that you guys were raving about will do that, but are there any others yet, or is the Evic the first to offer Ti mode?

Oh yeah, and just to stay on topic: Rayon Rocks! :D

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I believe all the temp control mods work with titanium also. However since they're intended for nickel, which has a lower resistance than titanium, you have to decrease your temp by 80 to 100F to compensate for the difference.

P.S. Rayon rocks in TC devices as well! :p

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I believe all the temp control mods work with titanium also. However since they're intended for nickel, which has a lower resistance than titanium, you have to decrease your temp by 80 to 100F to compensate for the difference.

P.S. Rayon rocks in TC devices as well! :p

Hmmm... well, then I guess I just need to sort through the chaff and figure out which one I like best, huh?

Reactions: Thayamax

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Hmmm... well, then I guess I just need to sort through the chaff and figure out which one I like best, huh?

I could be wrong about the temp thing (there's a first time for everything ;)) @tchavei would know for sure since he's a major contributor in the titanium wire thread whereas I'm only a reader of it.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Okay... I think y'all finally convinced me to try this whole temp control thing... I'm looking at an Invader Mini... just because the thing appears to be nearly indestructible, but I want a higher wattage one as well. Preferably something that works with ni200 and Ti wire. I know the Evic VT that you guys were raving about will do that, but are there any others yet, or is the Evic the first to offer Ti mode?

Oh yeah, and just to stay on topic: Rayon Rocks! :D
Higher wattage isn't needed as much in a TC device...at 30 watts, my invader mini heats up to my set 440 degrees quickly. If you are set on titanium wire for ease of build, try tempered nickel, its much easier to work with then annealed. As mentioned, tc will work with ti wire on any of the mods, but it has a different heat coefficient, so the temp won't be accurate (except for mods like the evic that have ti coefficient pre installed, or one with an adjustable coefficient like one of the European mods... Don't remember it's name... Or the new dna200 coming out).

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Higher wattage isn't needed as much in a TC device...at 30 watts, my invader mini heats up to my set 440 degrees quickly. If you are set on titanium wire for ease of build, try tempered nickel, its much easier to work with then annealed. As mentioned, tc will work with ti wire on any of the mods, but it has a different heat coefficient, so the temp won't be accurate (except for mods like the evic that have ti coefficient pre installed, or one with an adjustable coefficient like one of the European mods... Don't remember it's name... Or the new dna200 coming out).

Yeah, I figure I probably won't use most of the available wattage anyway (unless I throw NiChrome or Kanthal in it). Are you buying tempered nickel, or are you just tempering it yourself? And if so, what is your process? Yeah, I'd likely only use the Ti wire for ease of build, but I do like having options.

Sorry for all of the redundant questions, I'm pretty much a mech guy. I've only owned one regulated mod, and that was quite a while back... 15W VV/VW Tesla... great for cartotanks, but not much else... I'm trying to search through some of the threads to get a better handle on all the TC/VW stuff that's available now... I do appreciate all the help and info that you guys and gals so readily share around here!!

Reactions: TrollDragon

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Yeah, I figure I probably won't use most of the available wattage anyway (unless I throw NiChrome or Kanthal in it). Are you buying tempered nickel, or are you just tempering it yourself? And if so, what is your process? Yeah, I'd likely only use the Ti wire for ease of build, but I do like having options.

Sorry for all of the redundant questions, I'm pretty much a mech guy. I've only owned one regulated mod, and that was quite a while back... 15W VV/VW Tesla... great for cartotanks, but not much else... I'm trying to search through some of the threads to get a better handle on all the TC/VW stuff that's available now... I do appreciate all the help and info that you guys and gals so readily share around here!!
Buy it..... Much easier :p
Tempered Ni200 Pure Nickel Wire | Lightning Vapes

jks89

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2015
Vermont, USA

I've been happy with my Invader Mini so far. I know at least sweet-vapes has the v2, but I haven't really looked around for it too much since at this point, since I already have it! I used it with nickel for a short time, but always ended up jacking up my coil with wicking. I tried with tempered ni200, but never had bigger than 30g so that was probably part of my issue. I've been doing well with Titanium on it, just set the temp lower.

It's got a good weight/feel too it. It felt pretty heavy initially, but I was switching from an iStick 30w. I've dropped it on cement a couple times, and it didn't even get a scratch. The "top cap" is kind of weird. It has a fixed 510 pin, but the top cap screws on/off so you can screw your topper into that first, then tighten down the top cap so you get a flush finish and good connection.

I went a little all over the place, so hopefully that all came out right!

Also.. Three cheers for Rayon!

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I've been happy with my Invader Mini so far. I know at least sweet-vapes has the v2, but I haven't really looked around for it too much since at this point, since I already have it! I used it with nickel for a short time, but always ended up jacking up my coil with wicking. I tried with tempered ni200, but never had bigger than 30g so that was probably part of my issue. I've been doing well with Titanium on it, just set the temp lower.

It's got a good weight/feel too it. It felt pretty heavy initially, but I was switching from an iStick 30w. I've dropped it on cement a couple times, and it didn't even get a scratch. The "top cap" is kind of weird. It has a fixed 510 pin, but the top cap screws on/off so you can screw your topper into that first, then tighten down the top cap so you get a flush finish and good connection.

I went a little all over the place, so hopefully that all came out right!

Also.. Three cheers for Rayon!

Yeah, I've watched a few videos on it. Looks like a decent rugged mod... finally something that I might not break.... maybe... :D
I'm pretty rough on equipment, so it'll definitely get tested... though I probably won't be hitting it with a hammer like the one guy on the video was doing. I was impressed that it still worked after that level of punishment!

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Guys first time building with 24 ga on a squonker. So dual coils 9 wraps each for a total of 0.33 ohms 2mm mandrel. The coil turned out to be around 4.8mm in width which is long for my taste.

Anyway, those who know me know that I only build tensioned contact micro coils. So wicking this was a disaster. Center of coil kept on glowing.

I'm not looking for pointers on how to build with rayon because I've been on rayon for well almost the start of this thread. I'm just trying to know if anyone was able to make something like that work and how he did it.

Usually when I go that low I use quads or parallels so thinner wires.

I'm guessing it is the vertical thickness of the wire that is not in contact with rayon that is causing the issue. Maybe I should make the diameter bigger ...

I really love my TP vaping but that's only with my tanks when out and about.

When home I love my Hobo v2.1 on my SMPL. I build it with 24g kanthal, dual coils, 4/5 wraps each, 2mm ID, ohming out to around .24 and have never had an issue. Wicked with rayon of course.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Kaezziel, I've got an Invader Mini and there are some great deals on the VT as well. Saw it, the VT, for 64 bucks today. I tried Ni200 and got a metallic taste so I'm using titanium now. I will say it's easier to get a higher resistance setup with Ti versus Ni but Ni has the advantage if you're a sub-ohmer.

Switching to Ti only took a little fooling with temperature on the Invader. I'm running a Fogger V6, with modified air flow, at a net of .36 ohms, 23 watts and indicated 280F for temperature.

I find the Invader does not necessarily display temperature accurately. I was able to boil water at 200F with both Ti and Ni which should not be possible with either. The auto shutdown feature can be a pain and, sometimes, it forgets what it was set to when it wakes up. That seems to be a "feature" of the V1 or early release ones. It's more of a pain than a serious problem to me, the first drag can be a little "weak", it comes up at 10 watts, LOL.

It is one tough device. I use it outside while working in the yard and just rinse it off under the tap when I come in to get the dirt off. I don't know o any other mod that you can do that with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread