The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

RBA Tools (and things for those of us who are not 20something anymore)

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by ThreeDJ16, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ThreeDJ16

ThreeDJ16 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Bought several items this week from Amazon and they worked out so well, thought I would post it. Many probably already have them, but they were new to me, so hope someone else finds this useful!

First item is a home made coil wrap tool. It is just a jewelers screwdriver with a cut off 4-40 machine screw in place of the screwdriver end. A slot is cut to hold the wire while wrapping. To remove, just bend the leg out of the slot and unscrew. Then is ready for tweezers or hemostats for torching (if making a micro coil).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the close cutters pictured above which are great for snipping the wicks flush.
    Xuron 170-II Micro-Shear Flush Cutter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    And one of the tweezers pictured above.
    13cm Length Black Anti-magnetic Straight Curved Tweezers 2 Pcs - Amazon.com

41ErkUNHQXL__SY450_.jpg 41E4nPXJicL.jpg 41mS6wz2UrL.jpg 51JQA8B01ML__SX466_.jpg 414t7uLh8KL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Links to the rest of the stuff pictured above. The headset magnifier with LED is wonderful for those of us not in our 20's anymore. Best thing I have bought in a while. The tackle box has two small pull out organizers for all the small parts while the larger pliers and such fit great in the top. The needle threaders are a huge help pulling cotton through the coils.

Amazon.com: Plano 1362 2-By Rack System 3650 Size Tackle Box: Sports & Outdoors
    Amazon.com - Wire Needle Threader In A Tube - Hand Sewing Needle Threaders
    Amazon.com - Looped Needle Threader-6/Pkg - Hand Sewing Needles
    Hakko CHP-170 Micro Clean Cutter, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    SE MH1047L Illuminated Multipower LED Binohead Magnifier - Amazon.com
    Xuron 170-II Micro-Shear Flush Cutter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

[​IMG]
    Also, here is a link to Alligator Forceps (awesome tool):
    2pcs Stainless Steel Alligator Forceps Set: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    And regular Hemostats (straight and curved):
    SE Hemostats, Curved 8" and Straight 8" - Amazon.com

OK, I admit to totally spending too much time (and money) on Amazon. I am a Amazonoholic!

2. chadsmo

chadsmo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    BC Canada
    The do dads in the bottom picture look like something out of the movie Hostel.

3. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    OMG dude, that was a sick movie.....haha. I will never get the image of the chick with the eyeball hanging down out of my head......burned in now...yuck!

But actually those alligator forceps are extremely handy. Great for reaching in small areas and grabbing something. I used them for pulling cotton through the coil before I got the needle threaders (now those are awesome). But you will find plenty of use out of those tools. I absolutely love the flush cut pliers. Trimming the diver on the wicks has never been easier with it. I cannot recommend those tools enough. And since my near vision is changing on me, that lighted head mounted magnifying thingie makes seeing down in the diver cups 1000 times easier for me.

4. Peter_C

Peter_C Who? Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Akron, Ohio
    Which threader is working best for you when using cotton balls?

5. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    They both are good for cotton. But the one with the handle has to be inserted through the coil first, then add cotton (so is a little harder to work with), but gives you more leverage since it has a handle. The straight wire is probably easiest to use since you can place cotton in it first, then poke it through the coil. Just remember to pull the cotton to half the thickness you want, since it will be doubled after pulling it through.

And I have to say again, that led light/magnifying glass head gear thing is freakn awesome! Also the flush cutters are top of my list.

6. Peter_C

Nov 7, 2013
    Akron, Ohio
    Already have many of the items listed, including the magnifying glass head gear - I like Amazon too :)

7. Peter_C

Nov 7, 2013
    Akron, Ohio
    All your fault - had to get the box too - making me spend $$$ - I'm gonna tell my wife on you :)

8. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Your wife will appreciate you getting that tackle box, this way you can organize the mess sitting out all over the place....haha. Mine was glad as it made my mess so much cleaner now. The box comes with two small compartment organizers too, which are great for all those little spare parts for all the devices you have. There are also a couple of the same version tackle boxes that have 3 or 4 of those small boxes enclosed (but two was all I needed).

9. Peter_C

Nov 7, 2013
    Akron, Ohio
    Yup - that's why I got it. Hopefully I can store most of my juice in it too.

10. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Unfortunately I have too many tools in top portion to fit any juice. Instead I just grabbed a small tote style box from Walmart to hold my juice. Along with all my DYI ingredients too.

11. Peter_C

Nov 7, 2013
    Akron, Ohio
    Well other than my Grape, Black Licorice, and my Vanillas - everything else is in 30ml bottles - really ought to PIF them or throw them out, as I doubt I will ever try them...

12. bri315317

bri315317 Full Member Verified Member

Mar 20, 2014
    Upstate SC
    Just purchased all of it except the tackle box, i have a RBA on the way and want to be ready :)
    Thanks for the suggestions!

13. Peter_C

Nov 7, 2013
    Akron, Ohio
    MUST GET MORE TOYS err TOOLS~!

Need more great ideas :)

14. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Well, buy a DNA30 board and build your own mod. Then you need some more tools!! Just an idea!

15. DejayRezme

DejayRezme Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    Thanks for the suggestions OP!

Another gizmo, the Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo for making the perfect "contact adhesive coil" was suggested in another thread so I'll post it here. Video.

16. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Funny, I saw that when I ordered my stuff and almost grabbed it, but thought it was for larger stuff. Very cool it can be used for our small coils and I know a lot of people who could use it.

17. Katdarling

Katdarling I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;) Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia

You're a link-a-holic too! I knite you the King of Links, D _ J!!!! Great tips, great thread (altho I would have called it RBA building for old fogies ;)).

18. AmandaD

AmandaD Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    So Cal
    Hilarious!

For coil building I use:

An old cosmetic bag for storing stuff in
    Nail clippers or teeny sewing scissors
    An 18 gauge needle for coil wrapping (ok, I also have an Artistic coiling jig from another hobby LOL)
    Cotton wool hidden from my teenage daughter (otherwise there will be none left)/Aunt Lydia's bamboo thread ($2 at Michaels)
    Old tiny screwdriver found in the kitchen drawer
    Reading glasses (I actually have a headgear thingy I had from previous projects - very handy if I have an OCD moment)
    A loop of 30 gauge kanthal for threading bamboo thread
    Ohm meter - essential imo
    Oh...yeah, Kanthal from Tempco (had to buy that too LOL)
    Lighter, in case I get the urge to fire up the wire (I have a drawer full of them, of course)
    A pencil and pad of paper in case I remember something I needed to remember and must write down immediately:facepalm:

19. chadsmo

chadsmo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    BC Canada
    Torch , wire cutter , scissors and tweezers. Then four drill bits that I have two of each to leave coils mounted in dual setups. That's it really.

20. Katdarling

Katdarling I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;) Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Welp, Amanda, looks like I've made a great start to this adventure. I've got a make up bag. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.