RBA Tools (and things for those of us who are not 20something anymore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Bought several items this week from Amazon and they worked out so well, thought I would post it. Many probably already have them, but they were new to me, so hope someone else finds this useful!

First item is a home made coil wrap tool. It is just a jewelers screwdriver with a cut off 4-40 machine screw in place of the screwdriver end. A slot is cut to hold the wire while wrapping. To remove, just bend the leg out of the slot and unscrew. Then is ready for tweezers or hemostats for torching (if making a micro coil).

Here are the close cutters pictured above which are great for snipping the wicks flush.
Xuron 170-II Micro-Shear Flush Cutter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
And one of the tweezers pictured above.
13cm Length Black Anti-magnetic Straight Curved Tweezers 2 Pcs - Amazon.com

41ErkUNHQXL__SY450_.jpg 41E4nPXJicL.jpg 41mS6wz2UrL.jpg 51JQA8B01ML__SX466_.jpg 414t7uLh8KL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Links to the rest of the stuff pictured above. The headset magnifier with LED is wonderful for those of us not in our 20's anymore. Best thing I have bought in a while. The tackle box has two small pull out organizers for all the small parts while the larger pliers and such fit great in the top. The needle threaders are a huge help pulling cotton through the coils.

Amazon.com: Plano 1362 2-By Rack System 3650 Size Tackle Box: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com - Wire Needle Threader In A Tube - Hand Sewing Needle Threaders
Amazon.com - Looped Needle Threader-6/Pkg - Hand Sewing Needles
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Clean Cutter, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
SE MH1047L Illuminated Multipower LED Binohead Magnifier - Amazon.com

Also, here is a link to Alligator Forceps (awesome tool):
2pcs Stainless Steel Alligator Forceps Set: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
And regular Hemostats (straight and curved):
SE Hemostats, Curved 8" and Straight 8" - Amazon.com

OK, I admit to totally spending too much time (and money) on Amazon. I am a Amazonoholic!

Last edited:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
The do dads in the bottom picture look like something out of the movie Hostel.

OMG dude, that was a sick movie.....haha. I will never get the image of the chick with the eyeball hanging down out of my head......burned in now...yuck!

But actually those alligator forceps are extremely handy. Great for reaching in small areas and grabbing something. I used them for pulling cotton through the coil before I got the needle threaders (now those are awesome). But you will find plenty of use out of those tools. I absolutely love the flush cut pliers. Trimming the diver on the wicks has never been easier with it. I cannot recommend those tools enough. And since my near vision is changing on me, that lighted head mounted magnifying thingie makes seeing down in the diver cups 1000 times easier for me.

Last edited:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Which threader is working best for you when using cotton balls?

They both are good for cotton. But the one with the handle has to be inserted through the coil first, then add cotton (so is a little harder to work with), but gives you more leverage since it has a handle. The straight wire is probably easiest to use since you can place cotton in it first, then poke it through the coil. Just remember to pull the cotton to half the thickness you want, since it will be doubled after pulling it through.

And I have to say again, that led light/magnifying glass head gear thing is freakn awesome! Also the flush cutters are top of my list.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
All your fault - had to get the box too - making me spend $$$ - I'm gonna tell my wife on you :)

Your wife will appreciate you getting that tackle box, this way you can organize the mess sitting out all over the place....haha. Mine was glad as it made my mess so much cleaner now. The box comes with two small compartment organizers too, which are great for all those little spare parts for all the devices you have. There are also a couple of the same version tackle boxes that have 3 or 4 of those small boxes enclosed (but two was all I needed).

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Thanks for the suggestions OP!

Another gizmo, the Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo for making the perfect "contact adhesive coil" was suggested in another thread so I'll post it here. Video.

Funny, I saw that when I ordered my stuff and almost grabbed it, but thought it was for larger stuff. Very cool it can be used for our small coils and I know a lot of people who could use it.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Bought several items this week from Amazon and they worked out so well, thought I would post it. Many probably already have them, but they were new to me, so hope someone else finds this useful!

First item is a home made coil wrap tool. It is just a jewelers screwdriver with a cut off 4-40 machine screw in place of the screwdriver end. A slot is cut to hold the wire while wrapping. To remove, just bend the leg out of the slot and unscrew. Then is ready for tweezers or hemostats for torching (if making a micro coil).

Here are the close cutters pictured above which are great for snipping the wicks flush.
And one of the tweezers pictured above.
13cm Length Black Anti-magnetic Straight Curved Tweezers 2 Pcs - Amazon.com

View attachment 315623 View attachment 315624 View attachment 315625 View attachment 315626 View attachment 315627

Links to the rest of the stuff pictured above. The headset magnifier with LED is wonderful for those of us not in our 20's anymore. Best thing I have bought in a while. The tackle box has two small pull out organizers for all the small parts while the larger pliers and such fit great in the top. The needle threaders are a huge help pulling cotton through the coils.

Amazon.com: Plano 1362 2-By Rack System 3650 Size Tackle Box: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com - Wire Needle Threader In A Tube - Hand Sewing Needle Threaders
Amazon.com - Looped Needle Threader-6/Pkg - Hand Sewing Needles
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Clean Cutter, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
SE MH1047L Illuminated Multipower LED Binohead Magnifier - Amazon.com

Also, here is a link to Alligator Forceps (awesome tool):
2pcs Stainless Steel Alligator Forceps Set: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
And regular Hemostats (straight and curved):
SE Hemostats, Curved 8" and Straight 8" - Amazon.com

OK, I admit to totally spending too much time (and money) on Amazon. I am a Amazonoholic!

You're a link-a-holic too! I knite you the King of Links, D _ J!!!! Great tips, great thread (altho I would have called it RBA building for old fogies ;)).

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Hilarious!

For coil building I use:

An old cosmetic bag for storing stuff in
Nail clippers or teeny sewing scissors
An 18 gauge needle for coil wrapping (ok, I also have an Artistic coiling jig from another hobby LOL)
Cotton wool hidden from my teenage daughter (otherwise there will be none left)/Aunt Lydia's bamboo thread ($2 at Michaels)
Old tiny screwdriver found in the kitchen drawer
Reading glasses (I actually have a headgear thingy I had from previous projects - very handy if I have an OCD moment)
A loop of 30 gauge kanthal for threading bamboo thread
Ohm meter - essential imo
Oh...yeah, Kanthal from Tempco (had to buy that too LOL)
Lighter, in case I get the urge to fire up the wire (I have a drawer full of them, of course)
A pencil and pad of paper in case I remember something I needed to remember and must write down immediately:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread