Reactions to Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

iliekmuffinz

Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
A few months ago, I finally quit smoking completely and am now vaping full time. Like everyone else, I'm sure, I've received a number of different reactions. I'm usually around smokers when I vape because I still go outside with the smokers to use my PV, so I usually get legitimate questions/comments from people who are simply intrigued or want to quit smoking themselves.

But now that I've been vaping more, and therefore exposing my vaping habits more and more to the general public (i.e. non-smokers/vapers), and since the friends I've converted have been doing the same, I've been noticing the same phrase cropping up with surprising frequency, "I've heard that stuff's really bad for you." And the only thing I can say in response is, "I've heard cigarettes are worse." Because... well... really.

Has anyone else, whether new to vaping or a veteran, noticed these types of comments? Does it irk you as much as it does me? Isn't this what people wanted? To rid the world of those evil smokers? My mom, also an avid vaper, theorizes that they just want another scapegoat to blame for the problems of the world or people just hate to see anyone enjoying themselves. What do you think when you hear a comment like that?

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I've never encountered these type of comments from anyone, but then I work around a whole lot of educated people who are only too pleased that I've quit smoking. I've only had one encounter where someone started in with the whole fake coughing routine and I thoroughly and quickly embarrassed her and her friend.

The next time someone says something like "I've heard those things are really bad for you" or some other such nonsense, ask them what they heard and where they heard it. I'll bet they'll only be able to come up with something half-assed. Then present them with an ECF or a vendors business card and tell them to educate themselves instead of depending on unsubstantiated rumors and innuendo.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I was just at a bar sitting next to a male friend that had just quit smoking 6 hrs ago. I said "good for you but if you have trouble staying of the smokes you might try one of these and I pulled out my PV. Everything that came out of his mouth was negative so I gave up. Some people are just too ignorant or bullheaded to even do some research.

toddos

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Washington
Most people I've talked to about vaping have been super supportive and totally "get it". I've only had one friend say, "But I thought you stopped smoking?" (I did! I'm vaping now!).

When I told my boss I had switched to an electronic cigarette, she thought it was something that would electrically shock me every time I tried to smoke :)

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I've just about heard it all. The "it's worse than smoking" a few times. I just ask them if they believe most of what the government tells them. All have said no, so I give them something with ECF's address on it and tell them to go read because they've been lied to again. One got smart mouthed about it. I told him to think about all the sin tax government is losing for every person who quit smoking. He got quiet---don't know if he just couldn't think of a response or if he was adding figures in his head.

iliekmuffinz

Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
Most people I've talked to about vaping have been super supportive and totally "get it". I've only had one friend say, "But I thought you stopped smoking?" (I did! I'm vaping now!).

Same exact thing happened with my roommate. I think it's hard for people to dissociate smoking from vaping. Hence the no e-cigs on most airlines and in a lot of restaurants now. Which is too bad, but it's mostly ignorance, I think.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I get it from my dim bulb brother in law. Don't get me wrong, I like him but he's not too swift. Or purposely dense. He calls them my 'chemical cigarettes'. I've given him the speech too many times to count. Now I just say yea, I am. Must suck to be paying $8.00 for that pack of 'natural' cigarettes he's smoking.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
I'm glad people challenge us with the whole "I heard it was worse for you" bit along with other pre-mature STUPID comments people make. It's making me do my research and get the facts, so I'm preparing myself for people who want to throw "I heards" at me. I'm not going to print every fact or well written comment from everyone on ECF and carry it with me 24-7 though.

People that are uneducated about Ecigs WILL think what they want regardless of what one tells them. They should do the research themselves and that's what I challenge them to do =)

iliekmuffinz

Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
I'm glad people challenge us with the whole "I heard it was worse for you" bit along with other pre-mature STUPID comments people make. It's making me do my research and get the facts, so I'm preparing myself for people who want to throw "I heards" at me. I'm not going to print every fact or well written comment from everyone on ECF and carry it with me 24-7 though.

People that are uneducated about Ecigs WILL think what they want regardless of what one tells them. They should do the research themselves and that's what I challenge them to do =)

I think that's very true. Those people who say that usually don't do research thoroughly. Luckily for me (being a college student, preparing for law school), I LOVE research. I think I'll do some of my own on e-cigs and write up a lengthy report for all those people who say such things. Thanks for the inspiration.

Morris

Jul 16, 2011
Hammondsport NY
Wait...are you telling me that CURRENT SMOKERS are telling you that they heard it's bad for you? Holy @#$#. Did they go to school with Sarah Palin? (sorry to all you sarah palin lovers, merely a joke ;))

I think if a smoker TRIED to tell me that smoking electronic cigarettes were WORSE than analogs, my look would shut them up. How ridiculously stupid do you have to be? It's freaking VAPOR. Wow.

The only think I have ever heard was "Is that smoke? How is it burning the tobacco?" To which I reply, "It's vapor. No smoke. Just feels like it." And then they want to try it. And then they want to buy it. I seriously should set up my own store here.

Anyway.

My non smoking friends love that I've ditched the acoustics. They let me smoke where ever, and when ever I want because they can't smell it on me, or around me. :) I still go outside, though. It feels more ritualistic that way.

izabella

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2011
in my body in the Windy city
Among the uninformed, confused, and genuinely concerned, I think there are also those people that I think of as the "Puritans." Puritans don't like, on principle, that people choose to drink, smoke cigarettes, smoke pot, vape, or do anything that might alter their brain chemistry in a way they enjoy...yet those same people think nothing of popping whatever pill their doctor can prescribe. Puritans are the least of my concerns.

I've been so used to not smoking around anyone, that I don't vape around others either. But my sister and friends are thrilled that I've found something that's getting me off the analogs. Their support is all that really matters to me.

Zurina

Jun 29, 2011
Savannah,GA
Here is one for you. I have been telling all my coworkers that are smokers about vaping and I let them try mine out. So this one coworker said she was going to get her one. Well she approached me today while I was vaping and she was smoking. She says hey, I am not gonna get one of those now,cause they are dangerous. I said really? She said yea my sister is a nurse and she told me that 2 people has died from them, it gave them a heart attack.( scratching my head here,they were smokers but when they went to e-cigs they had a heart attack) I just gave her this look and said , I believe cigs are the number 1 cause of heart attacks, does it not warn you about that on your pack? So she rather smoke cigs cause she heard that 2 people died of a heart attack and it must of been because they were now vaping..Hello, this just really tips me over how people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread